• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
One More Shot: Feb 20-21 Event

Tar Heel Snow

ARW is way less amped compared to the 3k nam at 48hrs.  As a result, it doesn't have the warm nose for the upstate and has some light snow breaking out around Anderson, SC with a sounding that's -1c or colder throughout the column and a wetbulb surface temp of 32 degrees. I hope it's right...:weenie:

Edit to add that the NMM variant is also way less amped. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.55.08 AM.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, burrel2 said:

ARW is way less amped compared to the 3k nam at 48hrs.  As a result, it doesn't have the warm nose for the upstate and has some light snow breaking out around Anderson, SC with a sounding that's -1c or colder throughout the column and a wetbulb surface temp of 32 degrees. I hope it's right...:weenie:

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.55.08 AM.png

I was about to mention that it looks less amped and suppressed. Notice too last few frames shows the coastal taking shape.  East of Jacksonville Fl. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Berlin1926 said:

A more reasonable, way-to-early forecast would be closer to an inch on grassy and elevated surfaces along and southeast of the I-95 corridor with a half inch or so measured up to about the Triangle region.

* too

They must not require English at State. :P  But seriously, I’m not going to be too optimistic about this system IMBY.  This is a hail Mary at this point and we know the odds of those working out.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

ARW2 is also not as amped up as the 12k/3k NAM, but it's close.  It doesn't seem to have the warm nose though. NE-GA and the Upstate look like they're about to cash in big time on the ARW2. here's a comparison showing the ARW2 vs the 3k NAM thermal profiles.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 12.18.42 PM.png

Wow, that's the best look I've seen for our area. If the moisture feed is tracking ENE it could be epic, verbatim of course.

42 minutes ago, yoda said:

Looks like it

sfct.us_ma.thumb.png.adce4c9c4a10137bec987e5d46179190.png

1344978837_sfct.us_ma(1).thumb.png.8704c658e3ac76e7b4d54f90e95df474.png

It would appear so but no surface temps were not an issue on the UKMET. It's the same issue it has had since the beginning and that's extremely suppressed moisture. Again, this is what the surface temps over NC are going to look like if there is no sufficient precip to drive down the temp. 

17 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Guys the NWS will stay conservative as long as they possibly can, sometimes to their own peril. I had a forecast of 0 inches and R/S mix 12 hours before getting almost 6 inches a little over a week ago. 

We are all hoping to be Nammed for sure LOL. Afternoon discussions will be crucial.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

It would appear so but no surface temps were not an issue on the UKMET. It's the same issue it has had since the beginning and that's extremely suppressed moisture. Again, this is what the surface temps over NC are going to look like if there is no sufficient precip to drive down the temp. 

It's exactly what we had last weekend in regards to temps.  Had the moisture not gotten heavy and held the temps down it would have never have happened.  I think I am probably out of the game on this one, but I haven't thrown in the towel yet.  The NAM really didn't start nailing the system down from last weekend until 48 hours out and even then the actual totals ended up being better than advertised in many places.  

If I was in NC having seen the setup that we did here in GA last weekend, I would be very optimistic about Thursday / Friday.

Just now, HWY316wx said:

It's exactly what we had last weekend in regards to temps.  Had the moisture not gotten heavy and held the temps down it would have never have happened.  I think I am probably out of the game on this one, but I haven't thrown in the towel yet.  The NAM really didn't start nailing the system down from last weekend until 48 hours out and even then the actual totals ended up being better than advertised in many places.  

If I was in NC having seen the setup that we did here in GA last weekend, I would be very optimistic about Thursday / Friday.

Yep, it was really the last 24-36 hours of short term modeling that nailed the forecast then. And thus why the NWS was hesitant to believe it because the global models were hesitant to follow suit until inside 12-24hrs.

I was feeling very confident for this one but trends on the GFS and NAM have scared me because of ptype issues. But if they are a little over amped right now then I think my area will end up in a fairly decent spot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

That's all good and great but you have to remember not all storms trend like the last few with more snow/precip. We can't just assume it will follow the last few threats. 

That wasn't really my point. Just saying that in this situation where the globals are all over the place and the short term guidance like the NAM still making large run to run shifts, we shouldn't really expect a confident settled forecast until potentially a very short lead time. Eventually the data will coalesce, but I'm not predicting which way that will go.