Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
2/8/2020 Snow Event

mackerel_sky

1 minute ago, NEGa said:

It’s down to flurries here now. What a storm though lol. This was by far one of the best the last couple of years at least. And it was during the day and a lot of us saw snow. The total here is 5.25” unbelievable!

You guys deserve every bit of it.  That oughtta tie you over until next winter should we blank the rest of the way.

1 hour ago, Extreme NEGA said:

Heard Rabun Co has 4 inches and road are impassable.

I actually had to drive down to Habersham earlier to help my grandparents that got stuck. The drive back was horrid, took probably an hour and a half. The Turnerville area just before dropping into Tallulah Falls was the most I saw along the way. They were easily in the 5-6 range then, and this was an hour ago so likely a little more. But we got stuck there for a long while behind an 18-wheeler crash that closed the road across the bridge into Rabun. Ended up having to leave the car at the end of my road once we got back home. Back here at my place probably sitting at just about 4-5 inches and still snowing lightly. 

• Like 1

Still snowing moderately here but the back edge is knocking on the door and the temp has risen to 33.5.  I've taken my final measurement which came out at 3.25 inches and is the biggest snow for my backyard since January 2011. What an awesome storm this turned out to be! 

• Like 4

And that's 4-5 inches when 12 hours ago my forecast was for 0 inches and mostly rain. So, well done GSP, really prepared the public well for this one. I'd understand if the guidance was split yesterday. But by the 12z suite at the latest and probably even earlier, the models were absolutely locked in on what was going to happen here over North GA. I truly don't get how they missed it that bad at just a 12 hour lead time. 

About the time Pickens and Oconee counties were at 2 inches on the ground they issued a WWA... these counties wound up with 3-5 inches and no upgrade to a WSW.  

I don't believe NWS GSP predicts the weather anymore. They just issue advisories and warnings as the criteria is met, and half the time they don't even do that!

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, SnowDawg said:

And that's 4-5 inches when 12 hours ago my forecast was for 0 inches and mostly rain. So, well done GSP, really prepared the public well for this one. I'd understand if the guidance was split yesterday. But by the 12z suite at the latest and probably even earlier, the models were absolutely locked in on what was going to happen here over North GA. I truly don't get how they missed it that bad at just a 12 hour lead time. 

They do this a lot. Or put out the warnings at 3 am on Saturday a few hours before the event. I have even seen them put out the advisories during an event.

2 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

They do this a lot. Or put out the warnings at 3 am on Saturday a few hours before the event. I have even seen them put out the advisories during an event.

Heck they did it just yesterday morning in the smokies. Refused to put out an advisory until the event was well underway. 

1 minute ago, SnowDawg said:

Heck they did it just yesterday morning in the smokies. Refused to put out an advisory until the event was well underway. 

Yeah, there were several inches in Graham county with roads covered. They didn't put one out last week at all and Highlands and Cashiers were a mess.

8 minutes ago, NEGa said:

It’s down to flurries here now. What a storm though lol. This was by far one of the best the last couple of years at least. And it was during the day and a lot of us saw snow. The total here is 5.25” unbelievable!

Impressive to say the least. Imagine if someone had told you that you would get that much  a week ago or even a couple of days ago lol. 

2 minutes ago, NEGa said:

It was snowing pretty hard almost to the end. And this was during prime time viewing lol

Getting that type of snow during the day time is pretty rare stuff that is for sure.  So many things about this system and the before and after that i can think of that  are unique and makes it stand out.To think that this much fell in what has been an insanely warm winter is pretty damn crazy. 

As pretty as it is, can't help but wonder how much i would have gotten if this had come in just a few hours sooner here. OTHO, if it had been just a few hours slower it would have been all rain. Indeed,  20 miles south of here, it looks like it was mostly rain.  Got some light sleety stuff now before it ends so i guess technically i can't say it was all snow from start to finish but close enough. 

5 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Just measured in 3 places around deck and porch..solid 4" here and still steady!!!

Nice to see you do so well.   I was just looking at some of the old model runs from a week ago and it's pretty wild. As rather fluckish as it was, it gives me a little hope that maybe we can get lucky one more time before it's too late. Have a feeling the carolinas will get one before it's over. 

• Like 1