Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 4th-7th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

3 minutes ago, Maneee said:

This one was a real teaser. Those tend to hurt more I feel. 
Oh well. I still think we might be rewarded for our patience eventually. 

If you consider  yesterday's 12Z runs put us in the game for 6+ with Lake enhancement, and we looked good until today global's came in at 12Z which  worked us back to a 1-2 incher it's been quite the 24 hours of model watching.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Baum said:

If you consider  yesterday's 12Z runs put us in the game for 6+ with Lake enhancement, and we looked good until today global's came in at 12Z which  worked us back to a 1-2 incher it's been quite the 24 hours of model watching.

Yeah. I mean, there have been many times when these things trend north and then stop at a certain point. Sometimes they even walk back a bit, but this was completely overkill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Town said:

I'm scratching my head as well.  I"m no Met, but i've got this feeling that everyone's been burned so bad, they are all taking the conservative route.  

Is it the lack of dynamics that they think will keep everything low??  

DTX almost always goes conservative, most severe Burns are under forecasting snowfall. I was shocked when they nailed the last storm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTX almost always goes conservative, most severe Burns are under forecasting snowfall. I was shocked when they nailed the last storm.

It's better than having an office that hugs models a couple days out and never lets go even when the trends insist to do just that.  That's MKX for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I threw together a montage of clowns from today's runs. I didn't even include any of the WRFs or the 12km NAM, but all look similar. I don't remember anything close to this much agreement on any recent storm. Every single one is 3-5" for the same strip from SPI through LAF, FWA, and TOL.

We are so screwed. lol

020520 Model Concensus.png

• Haha 1

I'd consider 4" a win in this winter.  I think it is within reach around here especially with some lake contribution though overall trends aren't inspiring.  21z RAP was ok. 
Agree that 4" still in reach for you. You may get into the evening banding and signal for lake effect/lake enhancement still looks pretty good.

Our dayshift didn't make huge changes to the previous forecast considering the uncertainty and also WPC went pretty bullish. For our graphic for the storm, it's tough, with several models except 18z GFS and 21z RAP showing a sharp cutoff on north edge of evening f-gen band, opted to focus on that and then mention the additional 1-3 psbl the rest of Thursday.

I still think 2-4" is attainable here in the southwest suburbs to the Chicago shore but we'll probably be riding the edge.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like IWX said we're dying down here in Mudpocolypse.  Sorry for youz guys but if the Euro and Canuk can verify you can have the rest of this crap winter lol.  This is the heart of clipper season and not one yet this year with this non-stop split flow crap.    That's usually where I stat pad, a couple weeks of 2 inch clippers. Has that ever happened, no clippers in the Midwest?  I mean we're even looking at less than 12 total hours below zero here.  

5 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Could ORD's loss be FWA's gain? We now have the Euro, HRRR, the GEM, and the Crazy Uncle in our corner.

It would be nice to get at least one good snowfall this winter. I know, the track will change again at 00z, and I will be crying in my beer. But Jackstraw and I are really jonesing down here.

And I am now concerned about getting  .1 to .2 inch of ice along I-70.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

0z hrrr is abysmal on snow totals. A lot of areas would bust bad through MO and IL if it were completely right

Is it's full run complete on other sites? I use pivotal mostly and only out to 29 and show w.8 kuchera. Setting my expectations at 3" and hoping for better. I've lucked out the past couple winters with band regeneration, may have cashed in all my luck but I'll never stop hoping :lol:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

0z hrrr is abysmal on snow totals. A lot of areas would bust bad through MO and IL if it were completely right

We've seen this the past few storm systems...For some reason it is very late in picking up realistic amounts.

I'm guess that will be the case once again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Agree that 4" still in reach for you. You may get into the evening banding and signal for lake effect/lake enhancement still looks pretty good.

Our dayshift didn't make huge changes to the previous forecast considering the uncertainty and also WPC went pretty bullish. For our graphic for the storm, it's tough, with several models except 18z GFS and 21z RAP showing a sharp cutoff on north edge of evening f-gen band, opted to focus on that and then mention the additional 1-3 psbl the rest of Thursday.

I still think 2-4" is attainable here in the southwest suburbs to the Chicago shore but we'll probably be riding the edge.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

00z NAM is looking pretty decent for about the southern half of LOT.  Not as good as 12z of course.  Noticeable lake signature too. 

51 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

Is it's full run complete on other sites? I use pivotal mostly and only out to 29 and show w.8 kuchera. Setting my expectations at 3" and hoping for better. I've lucked out the past couple winters with band regeneration, may have cashed in all my luck but I'll never stop hoping :lol:

I was using COD. I always use COD for HRRR. Loads pretty fast on there. I'm setting my expectations low as well. Lol 

25 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

We've seen this the past few storm systems...For some reason it is very late in picking up realistic amounts.

I'm guess that will be the case once again.

Yea HRRR seems to be playing catch up this winter. I definitely think it's too low on totals esp given the intensity it had. A lot comes down to this first wave earlier on Wed which looks to be pretty intense. 2nd wave looks more like a long duration light to moderate event

• Like 1