Total Members
    Most Online
    Chicago12
    Newest Member
    Chicago12

Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

10 minutes ago, nj2va said:

UHI hell.

I just dipped to 36 here in south Arlington. 

How is that physically possible?  I am down to 33 in eastern NC.  Have the clouds already rolled in for you?

3 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

How is that physically possible?  I am down to 33 in eastern NC.  Have the clouds already rolled in for you?

Urban. Heat. Island.

7 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

It’s 39 in Baltimore still. I don’t even think I’ll get to freezing tonight. 

2 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Gfs looks meh. Has rgem bubble forming around dc. Warmer too by a smidge

0z nam, rgem, gfs,  and 21z sref trended farther north and a touch warmer. Worse for DC and south. 

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Temp actually went up 2 degrees at BWI. Was 38 last hour, now 40F. What would be causing that?

If the wind has freshened up, then that will mix the boundary layer at the surface which has been radiatively cooling.

Way more worried about the north/warm trend than current temps.  00Z NAM 3K has BWI at 41 at 11p so it's right where it was expected to be.  GFS has me way too close to that gradient now

• Like 1

I've jumped from 29.4 to 32.5 the past hour with a freshening breeze.  Still no clouds to speak of though, so hopefully winds die back off later tonight.

image.thumb.png.8903d72e8d4a6223d8ae7afc3ae73529.png

Temps in WV and central VA are significantly lower than forecast right now.. white line is freezing, blue is 30. Note that it's averaged out over a decent area so there's heat islands somewhat under-represented here.

8 minutes ago, TSG said:

image.thumb.png.8903d72e8d4a6223d8ae7afc3ae73529.png

Temps in WV and central VA are significantly lower than forecast right now.. white line is freezing, blue is 30.

About right, 26.5/13.9 here currently.

12K NAM definitely moved north of DC.  Still not a bad showing but north central MD is better.  North central VA worse. 3K similar to previous run.  Neither are like 18z.  I think the Euro looks better for my backyard so I will hug it.  This is a nice little diversion until we see what happens later in Jan. 

Man I hope you guys get plastered! I looked at the forecast, everything looks on track for a snow event up in the Mid Atlantic! Looks like my old neighborhood in Dale City will get snow as well!

• Like 1