Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2020

George BM

15 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

it was awesome! Thanks!

We missed some of the heavier stuff just to the south and only ended up light snowing our way to about 5 inches. But I was only slightly disappointed. I went out walking that night and it was so nice. Next morning as I was leaving it was actually snowing harder than it had during the entire storm. I really really didn't want to leave. Heading south, the snow stopped, the temperature rose into the 40's and the snowpack disappeared. Going back to reality was tough. I did go into Rutland, but I didn't make it to Stowe, I had to end my trip early. But I am already thinking of going back next weekend depending on how the storm trends. Appreciate all the suggestions!

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

When it snowed hard we’re you on 7 south between Rutland and Bennington?  There are some high spots in there that get pasted good. If you chase on a non holiday weekend you can typically find lodging up in the mountains that do better.  

23 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

A bit late here, but belated congrats to @mappy on the moderator tag!  I knew you were doing that when needed before, but now it's official and all!

Thanks! 

17 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

So we know who Mdecoy looks like now. Holy sh*t. I wasn't expecting that.

Bahahaha hahahahaha this is great 

32 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I am well aware of what they get there. I've been to Davis. Unfortunately it was during the summer though. But it would be one of my go to spots for chasing snow. Although I didn't really care for the lack of cell phone service.

That aside, don't really care if he lives on Mt Mostsnowintheworld. Its petty to complain about "only" getting 45 inches. I've had a trace of snow here in Delaware. A trace.

Because you live in delaware. You shouldnt even count on getting snow. Lol.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, snowfan said:

You shouldnt even count on getting snow. Lol.

or eastern MD. Tropical climo down here. We can barely even get 32 and rain it's always 33 or above. Hardly ever an ice storm in these parts.

Also, congrats Alert Canada on the 18z GFS.

56 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Because you live in delaware. You shouldnt even count on getting snow. Lol.

We vacation in Delaware.  The elderly lady of 81 at the hotel in Rehoboth said she remembers snowy winters and cold from Nov to March when she was a youngster.  Maybe selective memory on her part. 

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

We vacation in Delaware.  The elderly lady of 81 at the hotel in Rehoboth said she remembers snowy winters and cold from Nov to March when she was a youngster.  Maybe selective memory on her part. 

The 1960s were pretty snowy even there. She probably remembers that and thought that was “normal”. 

22 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, it's an amazing memorial.  And you noticed I swapped it out every year around this time!  High five brotha.  

Ok, to be on topic, I think we're cooked for Saturday....although I will be in NYC...unfortunately.  I would have cancelled of course if we were going to get anything.

(Putting my response here in Banter)

Yes, it is an amazing memorial, I agree whole-heartedly!  I've walked through there several times mostly on the way to softball games either on a weekend morning or weekday evening.  But never got around to really taking time to look at the memorial more thoroughly (which I damn well should do, I know!).  The times I've cut through there on my way to the fields on Ohio Drive, I always walked past that impressive carving...it looks as if he's literally walking out of the stone (maybe the intended effect?).  And yeah, the early evening/morning light always inspired my photographic side, but alas, I never had my damned DLSR with me to do it right (only carrying my softball equipment bag at those times)!  So, I'll be making it my goal this spring at some point to go out there in the morning to get a few shots, since the sun at that time hits the carving just right!

Oh, and yup, I certainly noticed your MLK icon every year at this time (also of course, I do like your regular Beethoven one!!).  High five back to you!!

43 minutes ago, Mersky said:

Where did I ATTACK him??? 

I apologize, I assumed you were at a certain level. Since it’s quite clear you are not I’ll take it down a notch and try again. 

No you did not physically assault him. But within the online community attack can have non physical meanings. You took a post of his, twisted it’s meaning, then made an obnoxious comment. And yes I do worse sometimes but I own it. When someone is being as asshat I will occasionally “attack” them. But what I never do is then try to play this “who me” game or worse, some passive aggressive victim nonsense.  You’ve done it with multiple people multiple times and it’s pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Oh, and yup, I certainly noticed your MLK icon every year at this time (also of course, I do like your regular Beethoven one!!).  High five back to you!!

I never noticed either! That's nice, @stormtracker (and now I'm imagining civil rights songs played in Beethoven-style...lol Beethoven did have a few connections to musicians of African descent--one of them he almost dedicated a violin sonata to, lol)

19 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I never noticed either! That's nice, @stormtracker (and now I'm imagining civil rights songs played in Beethoven-style...lol Beethoven did have a few connections to musicians of African descent--one of them he almost dedicated a violin sonata to, lol)

Didn't realize Beethoven had those connections...interesting!  His music has always been my favorite...very powerful, always depicting a struggle (with eventual triumph) via music.

For the longest time, I never had been able to see any of his symphonies performed live, though I have recordings of his entire complement of symphonies with George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra (and the 9th, Cleveland Orchestra under Christoph Von Dohnanyi...the interpretations of the 9th are different between those musical directors, but both are excellent for different reasons!).  Then while still in Atlanta back in the late '90s, I was able to see the 9th performed live...TWICE!  One time was a guest conductor.  The other was a "farewell tour" by the Atlanta Symphony's then-musical director Yoel Levi (who was well liked and popular).  Levi did the entire Beethoven "cycle", all the piano concertos and symphonies.  I mustered what I could financially (as a grad student at the time) and was able to see him do the 5th symphony, 9th symphony, and the 5th piano concerto ("Emperor").  Well worth scraping the cash for the "nose bleed" seats to see Yoel Levi conduct Beethoven!  Not  to mention, Robert Shaw's influence on the chorale part of the 9th was amazing (he was formerly chorale director in both Cleveland and Atlanta years before)!!

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

When it snowed hard we’re you on 7 south between Rutland and Bennington?  There are some high spots in there that get pasted good. If you chase on a non holiday weekend you can typically find lodging up in the mountains that do better.  

Yep, I was, there was definitely more snow as I headed a bit further south. But then less as I went even further.

Yeah, I am hoping a non holiday weekend will feature less traffic and better selections on rooms. It was pretty clogged with people last weekend. I am still not 100% sure I will go. I probably wouldn't go back for 5 inches....but a bigger storm, yes. I usually wouldn't chase back to back weekends, but these might be my only weekend opportunities. Last year I didn't get one chase because nothing good was happening on the weekend. Kept missing it.

39 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Didn't realize Beethoven had those connections...interesting!  His music has always been my favorite...very powerful, always depicting a struggle (with eventual triumph) via music.

For the longest time, I never had been able to see any of his symphonies performed live, though I have recordings of his entire complement of symphonies with George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra (and the 9th, Cleveland Orchestra under Christoph Von Dohnanyi...the interpretations of the 9th are different between those musical directors, but both are excellent for different reasons!).  Then while still in Atlanta back in the late '90s, I was able to see the 9th performed live...TWICE!  One time was a guest conductor.  The other was a "farewell tour" by the Atlanta Symphony's then-musical director Yoel Levi (who was well liked and popular).  Levi did the entire Beethoven "cycle", all the piano concertos and symphonies.  I mustered what I could financially (as a grad student at the time) and was able to see him do the 5th symphony, 9th symphony, and the 5th piano concerto ("Emperor").  Well worth scraping the cash for the "nose bleed" seats to see Yoel Levi conduct Beethoven!  Not  to mention, Robert Shaw's influence on the chorale part of the 9th was amazing (he was formerly chorale director in both Cleveland and Atlanta years before)!!

Dude...Beethoven is my all-time time favorite as well!! (So we've got three Beethoven lovers on this forum? Frickin' AWESOME!) :D His music identifies with my soul in way nobody else's does!  (and yes, it is at least rumored that that violinist was part African, but I just researched and it may have been west Indian. But he and Beethoven had a falling out...thus his name wasn't attached to the sonata--the "Kreutzer")

And I'll have to listen to those conductor's interpretations of the 9th (admittedly I can be picky about Beethoven interpretations, lol But the 9th in particular has it's own unique expressive quirks...and thus a wide variety of interpretations!)

And the Emperor I have a special place for...I played the first movement for my degree recital for my bachelor's alongside my now dearly departed teacher about 5 years ago (he was playing the piano reduction of the orchestral part). So whenever I hear it, I always think about that!

I hope you get to hear more live Beethoven performances this year...ESPECIALLY this year--his 250th!! :D

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic