joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Check out this P&C near Johnson Ridge in WA (elevation ~10k feet):

This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 25. Wind chill values between 6 and 11. Windy, with a west southwest wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 35 to 41 inches possible. 
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 23. Wind chill values between 5 and 10. Windy, with a west southwest wind 28 to 33 mph increasing to 35 to 40 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible. 
Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 22. Wind chill values between zero and 6. Windy, with a south southwest wind 41 to 46 mph decreasing to 30 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible. 
Tuesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 14. Wind chill values between -4 and 3. Windy, with a southwest wind 24 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible. 
Wednesday
Snow before 10am, then snow showers likely between 10am and 4pm, then snow likely after 4pm. High near 18. Windy, with a west wind 29 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible. 
Wednesday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 11. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Damn!  My second fridge of beer would be in deep jeopardy with that forecast...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 25. Wind chill values between 6 and 11. Windy, with a west southwest wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 35 to 41 inches possible. 
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 23. Wind chill values between 5 and 10. Windy, with a west southwest wind 28 to 33 mph increasing to 35 to 40 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible. 
Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 22. Wind chill values between zero and 6. Windy, with a south southwest wind 41 to 46 mph decreasing to 30 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible. 
Tuesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 14. Wind chill values between -4 and 3. Windy, with a southwest wind 24 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible. 
Wednesday
Snow before 10am, then snow showers likely between 10am and 4pm, then snow likely after 4pm. High near 18. Windy, with a west wind 29 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible. 
Wednesday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. Cloudy, with a low around 11. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

So on the low end they are expecting 91" of snow.  Might even make Ji happy.

So hypothetical question for you guys, since I have nothing else to do down in my neck of the woods.

Say that you have been guaranteed 20" of snow over the course of one month and you could choose how to distribute it?  Would you take

-1 big dog wtih 20"

-2 nice 10" slams

-4 respectable 5"'

-10 2" nuggets

or something else.  Lengthy discussion of reasonings are welcome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

So hypothetical question for you guys, since I have nothing else to do down in my neck of the woods.

Say that you have been guaranteed 20" of snow over the course of one month and you could choose how to distribute it?  Would you take

-1 big dog wtih 20"

-2 nice 10" slams

-4 respectable 5"'

-10 2" nuggets

I bolded mine... one of those each week would be fine with me

3 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

-1 big dog wtih 20"

-2 nice 10" slams

-4 respectable 5"'

-10 2" nuggets

Let me see... 

I'd be very happy with a quick hitting 20" storm with extreme snowfall rates with lightning/thunder.

I'd also be very happy to have 10 snow squalls that quickly drop 2" each within a half-hour with lightning/thunder and strong gusty winds.

Even better would be a Quebec polar vortex/ strongly +PNA pattern bringing 4 particularly intense snow squalls that each drop 5" in a very short amount of time... with lightning/thunder and severe wind gusts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

-1 big dog wtih 20"

-2 nice 10" slams

-4 respectable 5"'

-10 2" nuggets

Depends on the pattern. For example will the one 20" storm stick around or is it coming between torches? The 10 - 2"ers....polar cold all month long with snow on snow? The 2 - 10"ers....back to back within a few days then done? Is it cold enough to stick around for a bit? I'm picky like that.

I will take the 20" snowstorm in between moderate periods. Let that sh!t melt within a week or so. Cruddy stale snow sucks. Plus if inbetween moderation it would be a nice treat.

I also like the idea of 10 - 2" systems tbh if it is going to be BN temps the entire month. 2" of snow every 3 days to freshen things up and only needing a broom? I can live with that.

I'm not sure about the 4 - 5" storms. Sounds tempting but do I really feel like getting off my ass to snowblow once a week? Yes....yes I would lol.

2 - 10" storms. You are the weakest link!

23 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

-1 big dog wtih 20"

-2 nice 10" slams

-4 respectable 5"'

-10 2" nuggets

It all depends on the temperatures for me. I love the snow as much as the next guy, but I also love the cold. I love huge snowstorms so my first inclination is to say the one 20" storm, but if it's mild the rest of the month, that wouldn't be worth it. I feel like 4 5" events would guarantee more cold air. 

39 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Depends on the pattern. For example will the one 20" storm stick around or is it coming between torches? The 10 - 2"ers....polar cold all month long with snow on snow? The 2 - 10"ers....back to back within a few days then done? Is it cold enough to stick around for a bit? I'm picky like that.

I will take the 20" snowstorm in between moderate periods. Let that sh!t melt within a week or so. Cruddy stale snow sucks. Plus if inbetween moderation it would be a nice treat.

I also like the idea of 10 - 2" systems tbh if it is going to be BN temps the entire month. 2" of snow every 3 days to freshen things up and only needing a broom? I can live with that.

I'm not sure about the 4 - 5" storms. Sounds tempting but do I really feel like getting off my ass to snowblow once a week? Yes....yes I would lol.

2 - 10" storms. You are the weakest link!

Well for the thought experiment it could go any way you want, but for more fun I would try to collate your choice with a plausible pattern.  For example, for the 20" big dog, you could say that it might be one-off event in a highly amplified pattern therefore maybe there is some warm air around so completely plausible that the rest of the month is average or mild.  The 10 2-inches would be indicative of a serious cold pattern without a lot of moisture in one individual storm and so on.

1 hour ago, cbmclean said:

-1 big dog wtih 20"

-2 nice 10" slams

-4 respectable 5"'

-10 2" nuggets

Depends...if it’s cold enough to build snowcover 4 5s. If not and it’s snow/melt cycle either 2 10s or a 20! 

Ideally I would split it into 3 storms. A 10”er to lay down some base followed by 2 5” storms. Or 8/6/6. 

2 hours ago, cbmclean said:

-1 big dog wtih 20"

-2 nice 10" slams

-4 respectable 5"'

-10 2" nuggets

I'm in the 4 5" camp.

3 hours ago, cbmclean said:

-1 big dog wtih 20"

-2 nice 10" slams

-4 respectable 5"'

-10 2" nuggets

I’d go with one big dog with 20” easily. I did a similar poll years ago- based on the responses back then, I’d expect to see most people pick the four 5” choice.

7 hours ago, nj2va said:

This Afternoon
Tonight
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Wednesday
Wednesday Night

Might need to help those folks dig out.

Sounds like a snow job to me, lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic