• Member Statistics

    15,773
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
    Joined
HillsdaleMIWeather

January 2020 Discussion

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, weatherbo said:

For as mild as it's been this winter, this map doesn't look too bad... especially MI, IA, and WI.

snow_ytd_greatlakes.thumb.png.6c819f433513418e58486f4af8a3a5db.png

 

Interesting that they plugin numbers near big cities, so I would have assumed that was the official totals for those cities. But Detroit is at 21.9", yet the number shows 17, and Flint is at 30.9", and the number shows 24". I definitely wouldn't expect the map to be perfect lol, but if they're putting numbers by only the big cities, I would expect those to be correct.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does this mild stretch we’re in the next week or so count as our January thaw or do we actually need to be froze first before we can count this as a thaw? I’m really looking forward to spring, I can’t remember a warmer or wetter December and January for my area. There’s only been about 3 or 4 weeks of safe ice the past 3 winters combined out on Anchor Bay, that’s pretty crazy to think about, definitely not normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Fog has lifted some with just a tad bit of snizzle in the air. 

Door cam looking north, temp 31.8... heart of winter and temp is +10 above the normal high.125201.thumb.jpg.d13c1c489cb5b9d20a024aae30a42d82.jpg

 

Wow. Is that snow cement? You're probably used to fluff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This month is running over 7 degrees above average. Coupled with over 4" of rain and you'd think it was March or November. Garbage. 

Atleast we somehow managed 11.6" of snow lol. I'll take that as a W. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Yep. Wet snow all season this year and last. 
snow from this storm averaged between 9:1-10:1.

Have you done a core sample on your snow pack? I would be curious how much liquid is really out there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stebo said:

Have you done a core sample on your snow pack? I would be curious how much liquid is really out there.

No I have not.  I'm sure it's a lot.  Liquid eqiv precip at MQT is over 10" since late Nov.

 

It has been snowing to some degree pretty much non stop now for the 5th day.  Monthly total is at least 50".  Another mild day too, sitting at 29 degrees.

IMG_2341.JPG.11c012c6f5c7584bbe83e71ef6ceb915.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG.2c2fb61861341101409cb595eb257905.JPG

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another crappy weekend this weekend. This Thursday looks to be the best shot for any sun in the forecast at the moment. Otherwise, it's safe to write off this final week of January. Based on how this upcoming last week of January shapes up, I still can expect the first weekend of February to be totally sunless like these past couple of weekends. It's rigged.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Not only have they added the UKMET, but it also has clickable forecast soundings for the UKMET. Pivotal is the GOAT. 

Absolutely, at least for free sites.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pivotal is easily the best free site now.

COD was the go-to for the longest time, but they are quickly falling out of contention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The consistency of temperatures within a few degrees of the mid 30s, humidity of near 100%, and off and on rain and snow showers continues.  Endless Gray is not unusual in midwinter, but the fact that the mercury is barely budging for days and the air is damp is unusual. We are now down to lots of piles & just a few patches of snow , the dew points just won't drop to freezing.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if Pivotal is eventually going to start charging for their Euro stuff.  I always heard the EC model data was super expensive, so maybe they're building a new following by adding all this stuff only to ask for $ eventually?  If it goes on and continues to be free it will be interesting to see what happens with sites like WxBell in regards to prices, etc.  Or, will sites like COD feel compelled to add EC data at a cheap/free price.

Speaking of model sites, ol' Twisterdata has been the same since 2010ish.  Same graphics and same 3 models.  Kinda cool in a way as it's sort of a throwback lol.  I still look at it once in awhile for nostalgia.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Wonder if Pivotal is eventually going to start charging for their Euro stuff.  I always heard the EC model data was super expensive, so maybe they're building a new following by adding all this stuff only to ask for $ eventually?  If it goes on and continues to be free it will be interesting to see what happens with sites like WxBell in regards to prices, etc.  Or, will sites like COD feel compelled to add EC data at a cheap/free price.

Speaking of model sites, ol' Twisterdata has been the same since 2010ish.  Same graphics and same 3 models.  Kinda cool in a way as it's sort of a throwback lol.  I still look at it once in awhile for nostalgia.

They do have a Patreon where you can pledge different amounts. They want about $5k/month and are only getting around $400/month so far. Definitely would consider donating to help keep the site from having a paywall. I know they don't want to do a subscription-based service if they don't have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

They do have a Patreon where you can pledge different amounts. They want about $5k/month and are only getting around $400/month so far. Definitely would consider donating to help keep the site from having a paywall. I know they don't want to do a subscription-based service if they don't have to.

Based on that there's a good chance a fee will be required eventually.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Based on that there's a good chance a fee will be required eventually.  

Yeah with all they’ve added, and still plan on adding, decent chance there will be some subscription at some point. I’ll happily pay for one though with all the products provided. 
Add Euro kuchera products and I’ll gladly cancel my wxbell subscription :lmao:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, weatherbo said:

No I have not.  I'm sure it's a lot.  Liquid eqiv precip at MQT is over 10" since late Nov

 

 

 

Lake levels are going to be ridiculous this summer/fall and even more if we get a wet spring

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, outflow said:

Lake levels are going to be ridiculous this summer/fall and even more if we get a wet spring

Yeah I can’t wait for Eastern Michigan to turn into a lake effect snow belt. :weenie:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

Got more snow this evening than during the last event

I see lot did a write up on this airplane induced seeding, a top 5 event of the winter so far

 

20200127-051310.jpg

 

Better than round 2 and round 3!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.