• Member Statistics

    15,773
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
    Joined
HillsdaleMIWeather

January 2020 Discussion

Recommended Posts

Actually thinking the decade opens with a bit of snow on the ground, should the models be correct for New Year's Eve. Other than that, looks like a mild 1st week and then colder 2nd week. Rain and snow chances totally up in the air at this point though it does look to be more active January then December was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's looking like the forecast put out by Canada's Weather Network could be in serious trouble.

 

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/canadas-winter-forecast-update-2019-2020-winter-pattern-locks-in-for-january

 

Environment Canada's forecast looks to be on target, though.

https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/prob_e.html

 

Amazing how different the two forecasts are.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously looking like 11-12' redux.  Now that the warm blob in the NE pacific has cooled and the polar vortex has tightened up, the writing is on the wall.  Just goes to show how many things went right for 13-14' and how rare that set up was.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frog Town said:

Seriously looking like 11-12' redux.  Now that the warm blob in the NE pacific has cooled and the polar vortex has tightened up, the writing is on the wall.  Just goes to show how many things went right for 13-14' and how rare that set up was.  

Ever since Spring of 2012, every winter warm spell we have some bring up an 11-12 redux. And it has not happened since.  This Winter may not be the Winter we all wanted, but I doubt it will be that bad.  I could literally name hundreds of Winter warm spells over the past 140 years, many worse than the one we just went through. To me, an 11-12 redux needs to have a torchy November (could not have been more opposite this year) and a very early warm Spring. Things look OK going forward for those North of I 80.  2012 did have an OK amount of Winter from mid January to mid February, but even that was so so. Everything on either side of that month long block sucked.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Shouldn't be hard to get more snow than December.

Shouldn't be.

Has Chicago ever experienced well below normal snowfall in consecutive months (Dec-Jan)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of interesting.  JB posted the MJO chart for the winter of '78 and amazingly, the late January blizzard occurred in the midst of phase 5 and then it traveled all the way through 6.    Obviously it's all about trying to figure out which indice is going to be the driver.    

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Has Chicago ever experienced well below normal snowfall in consecutive months (Dec-Jan)? 

Yes, it can and has happened.  Dec 2012/Jan 2013 was brutal in Chicago.  More recently, Jan/Feb 2017 took futility to a new level with 0.6" TOTAL.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yes, it can and has happened.  Dec 2012/Jan 2013 was brutal in Chicago.  More recently, Jan/Feb 2017 took futility to a new level with 0.6" TOTAL.

Was so glad I wasn’t here in 2017. I had briefly moved back to New York and we did decently well.

I do remember 2012-2013 and it was horrendous. I think there was a clipper train in Feb 2013 which was the only saving grace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Yes, it can and has happened.  Dec 2012/Jan 2013 was brutal in Chicago.  More recently, Jan/Feb 2017 took futility to a new level with 0.6" TOTAL.

0.6"? Wow thats crazy! Don't think YYZ has ever had such a futility record before. 

I doubt we'll repeat that again. I think after Jan 10th we'll see more wintry chances as the Pacific readjusts itself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

Get used to it, gonna be a lot of bad years for snow lovers over the next millennia or so

Actually id say the opositte. Most areas of this subforum have seen an increase, not decrease in snowfall the past 2 decades. Some a substantial increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Actually id say the opositte. Most areas of this subforum have seen an increase, not decrease in snowfall the past 2 decades. Some a substantial increase.

Thats just because more moisture is becoming available further north for areas like Marquette and International Falls. Chicago and MSP have benefitted in the last decade but continued warming will inevitably lead to lower snow totals over time. Beginning with southern areas first then working their way north. Chicago becomes St. Louis. MSP becomes Chicago.  St. Louis becomes  Little Rock. The areas that will benefit the most and the longest will be up along the Canadian border and the provinces of Canada

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Thats just because more moisture is becoming available further north for areas like Marquette and International Falls. Chicago and MSP have benefitted in the last decade but continued warming will inevitably lead to lower snow totals over time. Beginning with southern areas first then working their way north. Chicago becomes St. Louis. MSP becomes Chicago.  St. Louis becomes  Little Rock. The areas that will benefit the most and the longest will be up along the Canadian border and the provinces of Canada

 

I disagree. A running curve of winter temps at Detroit have remained stagnant since 1930 (other seasons have showed some degree of warming) and snowfall has increased....substantially. Avg snowfall 2008-18 at Detroit was 54", over a foot over longterm norm. But only time will tell so lets not get OT. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

But not your kids

Wah, our kids might not get as much snow but they will have a longer growing season and more rain - if the sun activity doesn't drop temps.


Anyway why are we even talking about this? This is well beyond January, 2020.

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I disagree. A running curve of winter temps at Detroit have remained stagnant since 1930 (other seasons have showed some degree of warming) and snowfall has increased....substantially. Avg snowfall 2008-18 at Detroit was 54", over a foot over longterm norm. But only time will tell so lets not get OT. 

 

Yep.

When you look at the top 30 and bottom 30 total  seasonal snowfall for Chicago, 7 of the snowiest seasons occurred during the 2000s and 3 from the 2000s were the least snowiest.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vortex said:

Yep.

When you look at the top 30 and bottom 30 total  seasonal snowfall for Chicago, 7 of the snowiest seasons occurred during the 2000s and 3 from the 2000s were the least snowiest.   

Not denying that. Just speculating that gradual warming could be responsible for both the recent above average snow totals and also the decline of snow averages over time as you reach a point where it gets just a bit warm on average to snow in our area. I just think that influence may come a bit quicker than some would like on this forum. At some point when you keep looking at global temp map averages that are almost completely red and yellow with just a couple blue patches it will catch up with you.  But this is for another topic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LansingWeather said:

Wah, our kids might not get as much snow but they will have a longer growing season and more rain - if the sun activity doesn't drop temps.


Anyway why are we even talking about this? This is well beyond January, 2020.

Maybe I should start a "Millennia Banter and Complaint" thread.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, vortex said:

Yep.

When you look at the top 30 and bottom 30 total  seasonal snowfall for Chicago, 7 of the snowiest seasons occurred during the 2000s and 3 from the 2000s were the least snowiest.   

Dont have top 30 handy for Detroit, but since 2000 the top 20 (since 1880) has 7 in the top 20 snowiest (actually top 16)...#s1, 5, 7, 10, 11, 15, 16) and just  in the bottom 20, and barely at that (#18).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, A-L-E-K said:

Get used to it, gonna be a lot of bad years for snow lovers over the next millennia or so

Temps have nothing to do with it. Snow and cold are completely tied to the jet stream... and we get extreme troughs about as often as ridges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Temps have nothing to do with it. Snow and cold are completely tied to the jet stream... and we get extreme troughs about as often as ridges.

I think it depends on whose temps you are talking about.  What happens globally may not be reflected regionally or locally.  We can still get colder than average winters in the Midwest no matter what is going on elsewhere.  But for the sake of argument, let's say Detroit starts seeing a significant warming trend in winter temps.  Snowfall is fickle but that would probably start to eat into the snowfall average eventually.  Josh or someone can check it out but if you look at Detroit's snowiest 10 or 20 winters, I bet you aren't going to find that many warmer than average ones in there... especially more than 1F above avg.  And the warmer than average winters probably lean toward mediocrity or worse for total snowfall.  Of course the farther north you are, the more you can get away with warming.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

07-08 was the epitome of proof that way above avg snow fall can indeed happen despite a lack of the bitter cold seen in 13-14. That season was the exact opposite of what we've had around here last winter and so far this winter with the extremely poor timing of cold/moisture. 07-08 everything clicked in that dept. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

07-08 was the epitome of proof that way above avg snow fall can indeed happen despite a lack of the bitter cold seen in 13-14. That season was the exact opposite of what we've had around here last winter and so far this winter with the extremely poor timing of cold/moisture. 07-08 everything clicked in that dept. 

May have been one of my favorite winters here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.