Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Could be a fairly high impact event if the guidance is correct. Long duration.

The CAA from the northeast is one of the strongest I've ever seen in a winter storm. Almost like a brutal BDF in spring. It could be a situation where a lot of people start as rain and then it flips to ZR and sleet and maybe even some snow up near Ray. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The CAA from the northeast is one of the strongest I've ever seen in a winter storm. Almost like a brutal BDF in spring. It could be a situation where a lot of people start as rain and then it flips to ZR and sleet and maybe even some snow up near Ray. 

Last one I can recall was March 2013. Not sure if it’s as strong and mid levels were cooler then, but it helped us drop below freezing during the first part of it. Wish I could see levels from 900mb and below on euro. 

There's really pronounced upper level divergence south of SNE starting around Monday on most guidance.  That definitely seems to match the developing surface reflection and cold northerly surface drain.  Too bad there's not much mid level redevelopment in the same area to more fully cool the column and wrap in some more moisture.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yea, extended period of Frz Rain looking pretty unlikely here, thankfully.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS finally gave up on the warm sector torch. 

Not to be a dick and toot horns or nothin' but ... I mentioned two days ago in this thread .. somewhere, that climo alone was not in favor of the GFS solutions, then. 

The other aspect is that this system is actually more than merely a trough/closed broad Lakes vortex - it's really in totality a REX or quasi-REX structure with attendant blocking up higher over JB - this sort of 'closed system' is mutually reinforcing... That alone, this wasn't ever going to be about a low cutter -

This is in total behaving like a -NAO west based, but technically...it's neither a west based NAO or east based/+PNAP... But just a straight up anomaly.  The GFS - I don't intuit - is the right guy for handling that.  For one, the model has a mid range progressivity bias that is pretty clear to those of us that are familiar with modeling behavior... and REX in general is not really conducive to pancaking/fast flow...  so it's anomaly relative to the flow, too - neither of which the GFS is really cut for...

Also, the more that Lakes vortex attempts to move N of our latitude, only increasing the tucking/+PP air mass potential over Ontario, so it really is almost physically impossible to warm sector given the present modeled synopsis, geography/topography and planetary circumstances et al... 

I agree with Ray or whomever it was that said this looks more icy to me. That was apparent back then too, hasn't changed... Altho...phoo...that's one helluva tuck in the 00z Euro. That may actually get the cold layer so damn deep that we have those micro needles and plate production happening in a roaring sleet/ZR column.   Total mess...  "gray ice storm" more so than clear.

10 minutes ago, eduggs said:

There's really pronounced upper level divergence south of SNE starting around Monday on most guidance.  That definitely seems to match the developing surface reflection and cold northerly surface drain.  Too bad there's not much mid level redevelopment in the same area to more fully cool the column and wrap in some more moisture.

Exactly. 

Until I see more aggressive mid level redevelopment, I'll remain relatively bearish of snow snowfall.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I buy the 2-3" that the EURO clown gives me.

You'd prob get that alone in pixie dust and sleet...I agree with Tip that once you are prob N of pike on that setup, you'd prob have crappy ice crystals trying to grow underneath the warm layer. There's prob like a -6 or -7 layer in there around 900-925. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You'd prob get that alone in pixie dust and sleet...I agree with Tip that once you are prob N of pike on that setup, you'd prob have crappy ice crystals trying to grow underneath the warm layer. There's prob like a -6 or -7 layer in there around 900-925. 

2-5" as of now...that is the first guess I went with early this AM.

• Weenie 1