• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro def flatter. I have doubts that this will track into interior SNE like those GFS runs yesterday. Biggest problem actually might be the BL. We don't establish much BL cold before it moves in. 

Agreed - this seasonal appetizer's limitation is warmth in the BL.  

For better or worse ... ( usually the latter ) the NAM was beginning to flag problems in that regard yesterday.  It may not have the particulars right but, the gist of it corrected a weak but crucial boundary NW. It was supposed to slip through and align ENE along or just S of LI in the runs from a couple days ago when this looked a bit more intriguing for colder solutions.  Since, the boundary is now stalling and washing out more along a White Plains to PWM type axis.. .which, ain't going to cut it.  Even if the "low"/ANA is flatter, that's still probably not enough.  SNE proper gets that cold rain that smells like snow.   Which may be the climate course of least regret anyway, as others have noted.. I mean what are folks grousing about... Really, this should be nothing other than grateful we aren't in some dullard extended spirit crushing uninspired boring weather pattern that Novembers are 2nd only to April for sending us through  - 

Hyperbole aside, I still suggest that this could get more amped over these next 30 hours, because as I annotated yesterday ... this is an usual situation where the source for the N/stream is obscure. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Agreed - this seasonal appetizer's limitation is warmth in the BL.  

For better or worse ... ( usually the latter ) the NAM was beginning to flag problems in that regard yesterday.  It may not have the particulars right but, the gist of it is/was that a weak but crucial boundary was supposed to slip through and aligns ENE along or just S of LI in the runs from a couple days ago when this looked a bit more intriguing for colder solutions.  Since, the boundary is now stalling and washing out more along a White Plains to PWM time axis.. .which, even if the "low"/ANA is flatter, that's still probably not enough.  SNE proper gets that cold rain that smells like snow.   Which may be climo as others have noted.. I mean what are folks grousing about... Really, this should be nothing other than grateful we aren't in some dullard extended spirit crushing uninspired boring weather pattern that Novembers 2nd only to April - 

Hyperbole aside, I still suggest that this could get more amped because this is an usual situation where the source for the N/stream is obscure. 

Yep. The leading shortwave up in Quebec (aka the Scooter streak) that was out ahead of our main player was stronger innthe runs we saw a couple days ago. That established that cold boundary...as you said, probably somewhere south of LI over to south/central NJ and we were seeing the "NJ model" type cyclogenesis on some of these solutions as the wave moved off the coast....since then, our leading shortwave which presses the boundary south has gotten weaker and we're kind of almost straddling the boundary ourselves now or maybe just a touch south. That's not gonna get it done...esp in November. We might get away with it in January when antecedent climo airmasses are much colder but not now. 

We will definitely want to see a reversal in that trend pretty soon if we're going to entertain the idea of shovelable snow.  

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

If the NAM is correct it is going to rip across northern New England. There would be a swath of some pretty excellent upward vertical motion and right where the column is supportive for snow too. 

Upslope city too. 3 K shows the start. Green mountains ski areas could get over a foot 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Upslope city too. 3 K shows the start. Green mountains ski areas could get over a foot 

Yeah upslope could be pretty epic on some spots. 

What could be fun with this is watching the freezing level with dual-pol...it might completely crash going from NW to SE as that front moves through. Still gotta watch out for the NW Hills of CT...wouldn't give up on them too soon. Especially Norfolk lol 

See I'm also a little concerned about data sparseness and/or less than idealize physical sounding data making it into these initialization's  

This is the NAM's 12z ...  GFS is the same way.  This is not a good source/origin for the runs.  This may throw a monkey wrench in matters.  Suppose it comes in slightly stronger?  Then it may roll out some subtle but all-important, lead s/w ridging that enhances the confluence N of the Lakes to southern Ontario just that crucial amount...  Will's front ends up back S of LI again, and then we have our NJ Model low idea coming back in short terms.   It's possible...  but, either way, that S/W origin is  ...heh

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486csprs.thumb.jpg.3a17b3db96ee5bf98491a1dedf06eee5.jpg

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

See I'm also a little concerned about data sparseness and/or less than idealize physical sounding data making it into these initialization's  

This is the NAM's 12z ...  GFS is the same way.  This is not a good source/origin for the runs.  This may throw a monkey wrench in matters.  Suppose it comes in slightly stronger?  Then it may roll out some subtle but all-important, lead s/w ridging that enhances the confluence N of the Lakes to southern Ontario just that crucial amount...  Will's front ends up back S of LI again, and then we have our NJ Model low idea coming back in short terms.   It's possible...  but, either way, that S/W origin is  ...heh

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486csprs.thumb.jpg.3a17b3db96ee5bf98491a1dedf06eee5.jpg

Geezus that’s North of Alaska, taking quite the steep angle 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Still plenty of time for shifts either way.

6z EPS probabilities... 3”<

B59D32B9-315D-498D-BD60-603A0F551A5C.thumb.png.806e2f8a2dd6581a8f2ebb24cb8d0c7e.png

GEFS 3”< probs...

C2C5CC79-F789-4E4A-BD4F-3CE53BC8EB75.thumb.png.4ee91192ada0a208b68559dddfea37f6.png

The most likely shifts will probably be in NNE within the 6” probs due to something more amped or weaker  

Sat nite l’ll be sipping some vodka in the jacuzzi at Stowe main lodge looking up at a mountain of white , milf in tow

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The most likely shifts will probably be in NNE within the 6” probs due to something more amped or weaker 

Even up here it’s pretty warm to start under 1,500ft.... 33-35F and then crashes second half well into the 20s.

Should be a wet snow to frozen slush and winter cold type event.  Ends with dry pow lightly blowing off roof tops?

Virtually going to just be a race between how quickly CAA occurs in the lowest part of the atmosphere. A large portion of the region (outside of coastal areas) probably stand a good chance of seeing at least some flakes as this winds down. Still can't rule out a pretty decent band that extends from ME farther south into SNE. I think NW Hills of CT could see 2-3'' of snow 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Virtually going to just be a race between how quickly CAA occurs in the lowest part of the atmosphere. A large portion of the region (outside of coastal areas) probably stand a good chance of seeing at least some flakes as this winds down. Still can't rule out a pretty decent band that extends from ME farther south into SNE. I think NW Hills of CT could see 2-3'' of snow 

Agree.