• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2019-20 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

Well...I was previously going to mentioned how the Euro and GFS ENS had trended towards showing the potential for a much more favorable pattern coming up after the first week of January (7th)...A continued +AO, though with an NAO trending more neutral to -, along with a deepening -PNA and finally a legit -EPO. 

However, the Euro ENS have quickly trended back in the opposite direction, and are now back to what they were previously showing...with the same pattern that has been in place continuing... +AO/+NAO/+EPO/-PNA...with a deepening -PNA. The GFS is kind of in the middle regarding things overall. There is also agreement between both the Euro and GFS ENS's on the MJO continuing to chug along, right on through the COD and into phases 4 and 5, which happen to be warmer phases of higher correlation at this time of year. 

I'd probably put more stock into what the Euro ENS are projecting, given their near stellar performance for a while now. If the Euro ENS are correct with teleconnections, combined with the projected MJO and upcoming movement of the main PV to settle in around Greenland in the future...more of the same pattern we've been in will continue (mild and snow-less overall), though more active overall. If the GFS ENS are correct, it will probably be a somewhat better pattern than we've been in, but still nothing to get too excited about. Probably a bit better cold/snow chances, however.

tl;dr... zzzzz for now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

tl;dr... zzzzz for now.

OT but I was just looking at your signature and scratching my head, wondering how Illinois had more tornadoes in that dumpster fire of a 2018 season than this year. Then I remembered...December 1st. :D 2013 (November 17th) and 2016 (March 15th, June 22nd) are also further down than I'd have thought. No surprise 2011 and 2015 are tops.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Lake Michigan causing rain 75 miles inland in January would be something I don't remember seeing before.

Not sure it's just the lake shadow in this case since the entire event verbatim is a rain-to-snow scenario, so it's just trying to guess when that transition occurs. Need this colder for all concerned, not just you beach dwellers

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

I wouldn't call that Euro run a cutter. That hits most of the subforum

What determines whether it's a cutter or not is the geography of the poster.  Of course that's a cutter to snowlover2....what's he suppose to call that?  A hit? 

An app runner is a cutter to the i95 crew.   A Milwaukee special is a cutter to you and a Fargo crusher is a cutter to Milwaukee.

Happy New Year!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Any event like modeled on the 00z Euro has to be considered low probability this far out. But the good news is that it wasn't a one off. The 12z run yesterday had a system in a similar general area, just less phased and weaker. And there was modest 00z EPS member support for the time range. Can add next week to late Friday-Friday night possible rain to snow scenario for parts of the sub to *things to watch*. Of course the 12z operational GFS has no phasing at all with the northern and southern stream waves in that period.

9 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Euro.... this run has better interaction between the lead, moist, wave and the upper energy diving in from Iowa.

1990741559_floop-ecmwf_full-2019123112.prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_mw(1).gif.50118e0987ca0e991f702108fb350e3c.gif

Significant change from 00z.  It is in the better window in terms of skill scoring but would still like to see another run or two of this.

• Like 1