Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

Ginx snewx

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

More likely than not, the only flattening will be of a recycle bucket or two...this will most likely underwhelm just like last weeks dud did.   I’d temper expectations for the moment. 

I bet Thursday has stronger wind gusts with the CAA. 

Wednesday/Wednesday night doesn't seem like a crazy wind producer...maybe 25-35 mph wind gusts...likely enhanced by the equator-ward traveling geese farting as they embark on their next leg to the south. The LLJ doesn't look like anything special and I'm not sure how well mixing will truly be...we don't really get into the "warm sector"...we do get scrapped by theta-e values 310-320K...higher values remain off to the south. 

The strongest winds Wednesday probably happen outside of precipitation too...don't think we're going to see any convective elements to enhance drawing winds down to the surface so with any precip I think it stabilizes the column very quickly. 

12 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya you’re right...the cold air advection is where we get some decent winds most times around here it seems. Run of the mill rain event most  likely.  

Its always fun to see the beast/or extreme depictions, but we gotta realize those are truly rare, and don’t happen 99% of the time.  

If we indeed see a low-topped line develop in PA/NY (which I think we will) and that can move through that is probably our best bet for some strong winds. I don't think, however, such a line will make it into our area prior to falling apart. There is some instability present but this will be dynamically driven and once the occlusion happens the dynamics sort of meh out pretty quickly. 

I haven't had a decent rain event since my 1.15" on Sept 2nd.  I'll take the rain.  We are at 100% peak foliage so even 35mph gusts are going to take down most all the leaves.  Maples are vibrant and even oaks are changing.  This usually doesn't happen because multiple wind events take down leaves as they change.  This year this has not happened.  Great foliage year,  stick season starts Friday in NNE.

The UL setup really isn’t that terribly anomalous for us—good for a significant Nor’easter no doubt—but 960’s??? The only way the nuke materializes is with a robust tropical connection. Either the euro and nam are wayyyy OTL on what happens near Savannah GA, or we’re going to see a small cane running up the coast. 

Yall remember Oct17 with that meso cyclone doing all the damage. If , big if , the Euro materialized then SE SNE will have issues.  Gravity waves were a major issue. No way to know what will happen until we get within 18 hrs but I would pay attention. One thing that is sure to happen.  Ray will call it forgettable. Lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The UL setup really isn’t that terribly anomalous for us—good for a significant Nor’easter no doubt—but 960’s??? The only way the nuke materializes is with a robust tropical connection. Either the euro and nam are wayyyy OTL on what happens near Savannah GA, or we’re going to see a small cane running up the coast. 

Yeah ...a lot of the issues with this - in the modeling I feel - is that the thickness gradients in the low levels are effectively meaningless - they are missing ..

Those surface to 700 mb frontal inclinations are critical in the vertical structure of cyclogenesis' in general.

Similar to why in April sometimes, a bomb on the mid range charts as suggested at 500 mb level, has a comparatively amorphous looking surface reflection - only here...we are seeing this in a surface/sourcing that is warmer.

This system, as is, appears to have a ton of mid level kinematic power ... the Q-G forcing is huge... but, in the absence of crucial surface to 6km ( ~ ) frontal tapestries, the models are producing micro lows embedded inside a general region of lowering surface pressure - building without a foundation in a sloppy metaphoric sense so they don't know where to foot/focal point a low. And, because the thickness is more homogenized, these nodes like 'mimic' warm core thermodynamics.  

I don't believe 'warm core' is really what is going on - what is going on is ... this scenario is systemically lacking the lower tropospheric frontal components, such that most quadrants around the cyclostrophic region are the same temperature/dp layout which is something we see more typically in purer tropical/barotropic systems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

More likely than not, the only flattening will be of a recycle bucket or two...this will most likely underwhelm just like last weeks dud did.   I’d temper expectations for the moment. 

You know the difference between the 2? What underperformed last week? If you got hyped on some bad runs 3 days before the storm,  your bad. It was an ocean storm from the get go, not inland.

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yall remember Oct17 with that meso cyclone doing all the damage. If , big if , the Euro materialized then SE SNE will have issues.  Gravity waves were a major issue. No way to know what will happen until we get within 18 hrs but I would pay attention. One thing that is sure to happen.  Ray will call it forgettable. Lol

I was thinking about that storm yesterday. That was the last time I lost power from wind. It wrecked the Stowe area and had 100mph gusts out on the Cape.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You know the difference between the 2? What underperformed last week? If you got hyped on some bad runs 3 days before the storm,  your bad. It was an ocean storm from the get go, not inland.

I know the difference. But to be fair Ginx, it underwhelmed SE areas too.  And that’s where it was supposed to be more of something. And no, I wasn’t expecting much inland at all, so I wasn’t duped one bit. It did what I expected inland..which wasn’t much.

And to be fair, it was Kev who was the one calling for a big event last week...not me.  

Sure the the waves were huge, and the swells in the ocean were impressive, but it was a flop for SE areas too with regard to precip and any sort of strong wind. 

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

I don't think the rain will whiff this time..  wind will underperform, sure.

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

It definitely underperformed relative to consensus forecasts.

I, along with many others here, never expected much.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah ...a lot of the issues with this - in the modeling I feel - is that the thickness gradients in the low levels are effectively meaningless - they are missing ..

Those surface to 700 mb frontal inclinations are critical in the vertical structure of cyclogenesis' in general.

Similar to why in April sometimes, a bomb on the mid range charts as suggested at 500 mb level, has a comparatively amorphous looking surface reflection - only here...we are seeing this in a surface/sourcing that is warmer.

This system, as is, appears to have a ton of mid level kinematic power ... the Q-G forcing is huge... but, in the absence of crucial surface to 6km ( ~ ) frontal tapestries, the models are producing micro lows embedded inside a general region of lowering surface pressure - building without a foundation in a sloppy metaphoric sense so they don't know where to foot/focal point a low. And, because the thickness is more homogenized, these nodes like 'mimic' warm core thermodynamics.  

I don't believe 'warm core' is really what is going on - what is going on is ... this scenario is systemically lacking the lower tropospheric frontal components, such that most quadrants around the cyclostrophic region are the same temperature/dp layout which is something we see more typically in purer tropical/barotropic systems.

I do think this evolution would make a whole lot more sense, physically, if there was a tropical disturbance off the southeast coast prior to the approach of the UL trough across the Midwest. There is a weak surface trough that stalls just off  the SE coast tomorrow. Some guidance shows shower activity and clouds collocated in that region. I’ll be focusing on that area tomorrow to see if there’s any sign of tropical development...

How much for the Picnic Tables?

NAM is tossed for it's -3C 850mb air and snow levels getting down to 1,000ft...

GGEM had a foot of snow for the higher peaks in the Adirondacks and snows up near First Conn Lake. 

EURO more tame but did switch the picnic table elevations over to snow at the end for a few inches.