Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,508
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
    Joined
doncat

Summer 2019 Banter Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks for the data, has Vancouver (Victoria) reached 100?  

No, Vancouver Airport's record is 94 degrees (which goes back to 1957) It's a surprisingly low record.

You can find more of this data at http://scacis.rcc-acis.org/ if you are interested.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThatHurricane said:

No, Vancouver Airport's record is 94 degrees (which goes back to 1957) It's a surprisingly low record.

You can find more of this data at http://scacis.rcc-acis.org/ if you are interested.

 

Thanks, Victoria is right on the water I believe so that might be more equivalent to a southern UK beach location.  London and Seattle are more equivalent as you said.  I wonder what Paris and its outlandish 109 degrees equates to?  Portland, Oregon?  https://localreviews.knoji.com/10-alltime-hottest-weather-temperature-days-in-portland/

They reached 107 multiple times, so it's pretty close to 109.

 

Most people do not associate the city of Portland with hot weather, but it can get hot here. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Portland, Oregon is 107 degrees, which occurred on August 10, 1981, August 8, 1981 and July 30, 1965.

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/OR/Portland/extreme-annual-portland-high-temperature.php

 

These records were observed near downtown Portland and go back to 1875. Thehighest temperature measured during that time was 107 degrees Fahrenheit (42 Celsius) on August 10, 1981 plus earlier days that month, and on July 2, 1942.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

Heard a lot of Katydids last night.

For me it’s been a lot more nights than I care to think about. As always. ......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long ago, at first, I hated their sound.  Now, when it's cool enough to open the windows to a summer's night, their sound has mellowed for me.  I lived in the SF Bay area for 31 years, and missed the sounds of Summer insects.  Katydids are weird looking insects, not often seen.  This pic is not mine, but I've seen this critter at least once.

   Unknown.jpeg.e46e46449d768320b14e1144aa1f308b.jpeg  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stemwinder said:

Long ago, at first, I hated their sound.  Now, when it's cool enough to open the windows to a summer's night, their sound has mellowed for me.  I lived in the SF Bay area for 31 years, and missed the sounds of Summer insects.  Katydids are weird looking insects, not often seen.  This pic is not mine, but I've seen this critter at least once.

   Unknown.jpeg.e46e46449d768320b14e1144aa1f308b.jpeg  

I love hearing the sounds of Summer at night (and during the day including Cicadas).  It goes from Peepers in the Spring to the Grey Tree Frogs and now Katydids.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 9:37 AM, Stormlover74 said:

I don't get those. I haven't seen a house centipede in my current house either. Those things freak me out because they're so damn fast

One ran on my bare leg and then scooted off my chair. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

One ran on my bare leg and then scooted off my chair. 

My house cats think their a delicacy. As always...

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the "Laughter Curve",  the GFS is 16 degrees higher at CP than JFK on the 20th.,  83* vs. 99*.  [from WeatherBell site]    Call it 91*.    Hey, I think I am going to start using these models to predict the Stock Market and the Economy around here.     Did you hear that Mr. Laffer?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-america/

New Jersey is the fastest warming state, and Long Island is right there with it. 

We are now accustomed to monthly departures of +2 off of 1980-2010 means, but these are still significant and a sign that our area has warmed considerably. 

August looks like another +2 departure. To many these relatively small departures seem normal or usual, but they aren’t. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psv88 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-america/

New Jersey is the fastest warming state, and Long Island is right there with it. 

We are now accustomed to monthly departures of +2 off of 1980-2010 means, but these are still significant and a sign that our area has warmed considerably. 

August looks like another +2 departure. To many these relatively small departures seem normal or usual, but they aren’t. 

Worrisome news but not at all surprising. Why the unusually cool wet springs though? My garden took a beating in the spring; I lost a lot of crops and had to replant, often using plastic raised beds and pots, which hold heat better but dry out too fast. Now I have produce coming out of my ears; once it got hot they took off. Interestingly, tomatoes don't set fruit over around 85 degrees; you need a cooler period before that. Once fall comes they will start setting again, but the results are never the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Worrisome news but not at all surprising. Why the unusually cool wet springs though? My garden took a beating in the spring; I lost a lot of crops and had to replant, often using plastic raised beds and pots, which hold heat better but dry out too fast. Now I have produce coming out of my ears; once it got hot they took off. Interestingly, tomatoes don't set fruit over around 85 degrees; you need a cooler period before that. Once fall comes they will start setting again, but the results are never the same.

Global warming doesn’t mean that there won’t be cool periods. The cool periods are just warmer than they would have been 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Global warming doesn’t mean that there won’t be cool periods. The cool periods are just warmer than they would have been 

Yes, which makes dismal wet winters seem longer, if followed by dismal wet springs, hence people complaining. It has been tough for gardeners and farmers this year, and part of the rivers used to transport grain are too high and barges can't get through, leaving crops to rot. Among other problems. And the mosquitos, my God, they are vicious this year. That's one species that climate change could make even worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the stinging bugs have been overwhelming. I do many many miles on the road and the front of whatever car I'm in that day gets plastered. In a weird way it's not so bad that mine has been in for recall work for a month because I've done about 6,000 hard road miles and the loaner car (that had 111 miles on it when I picked it up) looks like it's been through several wringers. There are bugs drilled so deep into what was new paint they're never coming out. These bugs and I have put a serious hurt on the resale value of this loaner :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

even with the world warming we could still get as cold as 2014 and 2015...both winters got over 50" of snow...2017-18 had the second longest stretch of days with max temps 32 or lower with a good snowstorm also...that winter got 40" of snow...so very cold and snowy periods can still come at any time during any winter...last year was mediocre to bad but it was still better than 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2011-12...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uncle W said:

even with the world warming we could still get as cold as 2014 and 2015...both winters got over 50" of snow...2017-18 had the second longest stretch of days with max temps 32 or lower with a good snowstorm also...that winter got 40" of snow...so very cold and snowy periods can still come at any time during any winter...last year was mediocre to bad but it was still better than 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2011-12...

Mild winters and humid summers have been the new normal following the global temperature jump in 15-16. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for another cold winter and less humid summer.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Season
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
2018-2019 36.3 0
2017-2018 36.2 0
2016-2017 39.3 0
2015-2016 41.0 0
2014-2015 31.4 0
2013-2014 32.9 0
2012-2013 36.8 0
2011-2012 40.5 0
2010-2011 32.8 0
2009-2010 33.8 0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Mild winters and humid summers have been the new normal following the global temperature jump in 15-16. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for another cold winter and less humid summer.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Season
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
2018-2019 36.3 0
2017-2018 36.2 0
2016-2017 39.3 0
2015-2016 41.0 0
2014-2015 31.4 0
2013-2014 32.9 0
2012-2013 36.8 0
2011-2012 40.5 0
2010-2011 32.8 0
2009-2010 33.8 0

I'll take the average snowfall we got for the last ten years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×