Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 Banter Thread

doncat

3 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Ticks mosquitos and roaches ( not that I have them) - immediate death

Anything else I dont mind but if it's a big scary looking hairy spider I'll try to let it outside 

We in the UHI inner city really can’t say “ we don’t have them” we just train them to stay hidden while the lights are on. As always ....

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Anything else I dont mind but if it's a big scary looking hairy spider I'll try to let it outside 

You forgot thousand leggers.  They always die quickly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

My summer squash are at the stage now where I need to harvest twice a day. Picked 15 this morning that were just pollinated 24 hours prior, and were already a little bigger than I like

God bless you Julian. At my age, whatever I have that needs it better be self pollinating. As always ....

5 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I don't get those. I haven't seen a house centipede in my current house either. Those things freak me out because they're so damn fast

Every once and awhile I get them, and yeah if you miss they go behind some crack that you'll never get to.

18 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

The first time I saw one was in college and one darted across the floor and up on to my roommate's bed. He screamed and ran out of the room :lol:

It was 1968 and I was in the midst of a study all nighter in my Arkansas college dorm. I was heading for the Loo to get rid of some of the coffee ( that and no doze is all that we used then). When what greets me, ambling down th hall toward me was an Arkansas Brown Tarantula. I believe one of the local rebels kept it as a pet and figured it would be fun to see a yankee run out of his drawers. I was a Brooklyn kid well used to two, four and multi legged wild life. I went back to my room, got my two buddies, one from New Jersey, the other Minnesota and collected the tarantula which we christened Androcles. Didn’t know if it we had a male or female and we weren’t about to investigate.  We kept Androcles on exhibit for a day and then released him/her to the wilderness behind the dorm. We disappointed our grey brethren and no one ever owned up to Androcles the Tarantula. Thank you Stormlover for jogging that memory. As always ...

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, rclab said:

It was 1968 and I was in the midst of a study all nighter in my Arkansas college dorm. I was heading for the Loo to get rid of some of the coffee ( that and no doze is all that we used then). When what greets me, ambling down th hall toward me was an Arkansas Brown Tarantula. I believe one of the local rebels kept it as a pet and figured it would be fun to see a yankee run out of his drawers. I was a Brooklyn kid well used to two, four and multi legged wild life. I went back to my room, got my two buddies, one from New Jersey, the other Minnesota and collected the tarantula which we christened Androcles. Didn’t know if it we had a male or female and we weren’t about to investigate.  We kept Androcles on exhibit for a day and then released him/her to the wilderness behind the dorm. We disappointed our grey brethren and no one ever owned up to Androcles the Tarantula. Thank you Stormlover for jogging that memory. As always ...

Tarantula was one of my favorite horror movies of the 50's...

6 hours ago, uncle W said:

Tarantula was one of my favorite horror movies of the 50's...

Definitely great for its time. Another insect favorite of mine was the movie Them. That little girl in shock and then screaming Them them over and over. Fess Parker had a break in role as a bush pilot. They were ready to put him away because of his description of the mating flight of the queen ants. That small part got him the role of Davy Crockett after James Aries’s turned it down. Apparently Walt Disney saw the movie and Mr Parker’s acting made an impression on him. Was there another one called The Beginning Of The End, with giant grasshoppers? A great decade for fright flicks. As always ....

Update on the Historic Heat of June 2019 in France. Météo-France reported:

During the heat wave of the end of June 2019, the old maximum temperature record in France of 44.1 ° C observed in Conqueyrac in the Gard on August 12, 2003 was beaten several times. Many stations have measured exceptional values. 45.9 ° C were thus noted on June 28 in Gallargues-le-Montueux in Gard. These values come from the network of automatic stations operated by Météo-France in real time...

Météo-France also collects data observed by the State Climatological Network (RCE). This includes about 800 manual temperature stations, held by volunteer observers who send their observations with a few days' notice. Among all these observations, a maximum temperature value of 46.0 ° C was found in Vérargues (34), less than 10 km from the automatic station of Gallargues-le-Montueux .

http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/74345599-c-est-officiel-on-a-atteint-les-46-c-en-france-en-juin

46.0°C is 114.8°F.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, forkyfork said:

everyone these days wants a sanitized outdoor living room instead of a yard, consequences be damned

plus Agent Orange over there in DC got $1 million from Dow and he had an insecticide approved that kills bees.  Another pollinator that'll bite the dust-  they're bending over backwards for Dow, they also unbanned a Dow pesticide that causes brain damage in children, which they're currently being sued over.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, Juliancolton said:

I'm forced to douse my cucurbits with Sevin to kill cucumber beetles that would otherwise eat plants down to their stalks within days of a missed application (and no pepper spray/vinegar/neem/CBD oil potion is up to the task). I simply have no choice if I want to grow any squash. As a consequence, pollinators are totally absent and every morning I have to spent 45 minutes pollinating by hand. It's a pretty rotten state of affairs.

they seem to have gotten worse over the years.  I loved growing cucumbers and squash in the past, and (maybe it's our changing weather) it was a lot easier in the 90s than it is today

Extreme heat shattered national high temperature records in Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands today. The new national records are:

Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, Germany: 104°F (39.9°C)
Eindhoven, Netherlands: 103°F (39.3°C)
Kleine-Brogel, Belgium: 102°F (38.9°C)

More high temperature records will likely fall tomorrow in western Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Provisional UK National Record High Temperature Confirmed...

The UK Met Office explained:

A recording of 38.7°C at Cambridge Botanic Garden on Thursday 25 July has become the highest temperature officially recorded in the UK.

The provisional value was released on Friday and has been subject to quality control and analysis over the past few days. It has now been validated by the Met Office observations’ team.  

This figure exceeds the previous record of 38.5°C recorded in Faversham, Kent, in August 2003. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2019/new-official-highest-temperature-in-uk-confirmed

• Like 1

14 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Provisional UK National Record High Temperature Confirmed...

The UK Met Office explained:

A recording of 38.7°C at Cambridge Botanic Garden on Thursday 25 July has become the highest temperature officially recorded in the UK.

The provisional value was released on Friday and has been subject to quality control and analysis over the past few days. It has now been validated by the Met Office observations’ team.  

This figure exceeds the previous record of 38.5°C recorded in Faversham, Kent, in August 2003. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2019/new-official-highest-temperature-in-uk-confirmed

Don, did London hit 100?  The heat over in Europe is incredible- I heard that even the Netherlands was well above 100, as was Germany!  Paris, of course, takes the cake- they almost hit 110!

• Sad 1

On 7/16/2019 at 7:27 PM, Stormlover74 said:

Ticks and mosquitoes spread disease so they need to be controlled.  With the warmer weather we now have three dangerous tick species in our area- one of which spreads an allergy to red meat!  We now also have West Nile back in our area, I've noticed this often happens in our hottest summers, going back to 1999.

• Sad 1

On 7/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, donsutherland1 said:

Historic high temperature records in Europe:

Gilze en Rijen, Netherlands: 105° (40.4°C) -- new national record
Kleine-Brogel, Belgium: 105° (40.6°C) -- new national record
Lingen, Germany: 107° (41.5°C) -- new national record
Paris: 109° (42.6°C)

Don does this correlate to another extreme heat wave for us during the summer?  How does that kind of heat compare to some of our historic heat waves?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

It's the only time London has reached triple digits I think?

I wonder if that's equivalent to Seattle hitting 100!

Seattle's gone over 100 twice since 1945. In 2009 it reached 103, and in 1994 it reached 100. I'd say that's close enough to be equivalent.

• Like 1