• Member Statistics

    15,533
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Love Snow
    Newest Member
    Love Snow
    Joined
George BM

June Discobs 2019

Recommended Posts

.66 inches.  1.37 for the past 7 days. I guess that's okay. Still would like to get over an inch for one event.  Hope the sky clears up so that I can get under a good 20-minute downpour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

.66 inches.  1.37 for the past 7 days. I guess that's okay. Still would like to get over an inch for one event.  Hope the sky clears up so that I can get under a good 20-minute downpour. 

Looking out in time a muggy, active and stormy pattern will continue for the next couple weeks. Severe weather odds increase again to our West in time and may make it here as well. 

High dews , sorry to say, are going to pay a visit early next week, but as for extreme heat,  or long duration above normal heat, that is nowhere in sight. 

May have to wait until after July  4 th for an official heat wave IMHO. Will will have a 90 degree, or more day, but not enough strung together to qualify as a true heatwave. So far, the cooler side is winning. ( or the less warm side , whatever floats your boat  .

Seems rainfall is one main reason for the cooler weather, ( no dry/hot source region to tap ) along with the upstream blocking, the previous long duration -SOI /MJO and the cold pool in the NW Atlantic.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, frd said:

Looking out in time a muggy, active and stormy pattern will continue for the next couple weeks. Severe weather odds increase again to our West in time and may make it here as well. 

High dews , sorry to say, are going to pay a visit early next week, but as for extreme heat,  or long duration above normal heat, that is nowhere in sight. 

May have to wait until after July  4 th for an official heat wave IMHO. Will will have a 90 degree, or more day, but not enough strung together to qualify as a true heatwave. So far, the cooler side is winning. ( or the less warm side , whatever floats your boat  .

Seems rainfall is one main reason for the cooler weather, ( no dry/hot source region to tap ) along with the upstream blocking, the previous long duration -SOI /MJO and the cold pool in the NW Atlantic.  

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have come to the idea that usually when we have mild winters, our summers are on the cooler side. And when our winters are cold and snowy, we get heat waves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have come to the idea that usually when we have mild winters, our summers are on the cooler side. And when our winters are cold and snowy, we get heat waves. 

Hmm,  I am not sure about that.

We have had some cooler summers earlier in the decade. Recent summers have been warm and muggy.  

I do recall a conversation with bluewave from the NYC forum and it had to do with the warm waters of the Western Atlantic and the recent years where the WAR was very powerful. Also, how summer has lasted well into the Fall the last 5 years. 

bluewave posted a map of record high temps and without going into a lot of detail when you see these record highs in the summer many of these were along the edge of the WAR over the SE coastline and a bit inland. The morale of the story here is, the warm waters and feedback may be , or is, contributing to longer lasting summers in the East and SE, and summers have been warmer recently.   

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adelphi_sky said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have come to the idea that usually when we have mild winters, our summers are on the cooler side. And when our winters are cold and snowy, we get heat waves. 

Just off the top of my head- 2014 and 2003 already disprove that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun poking out in McClean and on the Beltway over the Potomac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

72 degrees here now with some sun breaking out from time to time.

Broke 3 inches here between the last two rain events, pretty crazy !

Grass was looking dry last week but appears to be bouncing back.  An excellent fescue grass season in my area so far. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The  WAR getting pushed East and South in the coming 7 day period.  Next week looks active for waves to effect us with more rainfall.    

Looking for a good beach day, but hard to choose.  Tomorrow will get blinded by flying sand particles. Sunday looks nice but the wave action not so good, seems like a SW wind, was looking for offshore.  And not liking the tide cycle , tide going out on the afternoon. 

Tuesday has potential bebind the wave from Monday , maybe a close WNW or I will take even WSW wind. Magic Seaweed has a few single stars from 9 AM to 3 PM. ) Have to keep a close watch. 

https://magicseaweed.com/Wildwood-Surf-Report/392/

Look at all that rain again. 

 

 

p168i.gif?1560456328

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow - that storm packed a punch, power flickered twice, branches down , driving rain, estimate wind gusts maybe to 35 to 40 mph. I did not see or hear any hail. 

I was near the Southern edge of the 50 DBZ radar returns, looking North , I would think Newark, DE. got hit harder , also up there the line was wider.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a total of 1.05 which is great after getting only 0.9 over the previous 30 days.  Hoping to cash in on some showers next week.

Can't believe it's 55 and breezy out!  I saw Oakland at 43 with 26 mph winds.  Wow!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

56 degrees here. Breezy, feels like early October . Leaves on the ground from last night's storm.  not a typical looking or feeling mid June morning

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, adelphi_sky said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have come to the idea that usually when we have mild winters, our summers are on the cooler side. And when our winters are cold and snowy, we get heat waves. 

You might take interest in this post, even though it is geared towards the NYC forum.

To me it is very interesting as the lack of heat so far this season is rare as bluewave pointed out in his post.  true is has been more pronounced further North and West but still rather impressive that we can enjoy more typical Spring days and have had low dew point and cool periods in a sea of warmth this decade. 

Of note see 2003 and 2014 both cool June months that were part of winters that were cold and snowy I believe. So it can happen but not very often.  

from @bluewave

Only the 6th time in the last 30 years that LGA hasn’t reached 90 degrees by June 15th. Warm season notable cool stats have been few and far between during the 2010’s. So it’s bit of a rarity when we see muted high temperatures like this. Just the 2nd occurrence this decade.

Time Series Summary for LA GUARDIA AP, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Ending Date
Highest Max Temperature Mar 1 to Jun 15
Missing Count
1 2014-06-15 87 0
- 2003-06-15 87 0
3 2019-06-15 89 2
- 2006-06-15 89 0
- 1998-06-15 89 0
- 1990-06-15 89 0

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.