Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2019

Torch Tiger

17 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

...Ran into this today.  Almost 81 years ago.  The hurricane of 38 was pretty much the topic of every headline on the front page.

20190904_094917.jpg

Yup.....that's the benchmark for these parts.  A Major upper end Cat 3.  Raced right up and over Long Island and smacked head on into CT.  Came in so fast it didn't have time to weaken.  My Grandfather told me all about it...amazing storm for these parts!!  Nobody knew it was coming....imagine that!

17 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

...Ran into this today.  Almost 81 years ago.  The hurricane of 38 was pretty much the topic of every headline on the front page.

20190904_094917.jpg

Many years ago I attended a sports auction and one of the auction items was a newspaper from the day after the hurricane hit. It was in pristine condition.  It was very interesting to look at the front page of the paper. 

Sudden Sea The Great Hurricane of 1938 and The Great Hurricane 1938 are both excellent books on the topic.

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yup.....that's the benchmark for these parts.  A Major upper end Cat 3.  Raced right up and over Long Island and smacked head on into CT.  Came in so fast it didn't have time to weaken.  My Grandfather told me all about it...amazing storm for these parts!!  Nobody knew it was coming....imagine that!

Certainly was an amazing storm. The damage today would shock people.  Katherine Hepburn's family home was in Old Saybrook

http://www.historybyzim.com/2015/07/katharine-hepburn-the-new-england-hurricane-of-1938/

4 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Its a straight drug for him at this point.  I get it, and reading some of his stuff, he almost seems ok with it if one of these does claim his life at some point.  There's nothing else he'd rather be doing.  Sitting at home while a Cat 5 hits some island is just not a possibility for him.  I have a deep respect for people like that, who realize this is what they want to do with their life and they are going to do it.

I also get some of the other comments... I mean, if anyone needs to come rescue him or provide emergency care.... it's the same as someone going up MWN and needing to be rescued (when a lot of the public wonders why you put the rescuers at risk).  Some people hike Everest, some chase the eyewalls of Cat 5 hurricanes, others chase tornadoes, some dive to the deepest depths of the ocean possible.    They didn't need to be there but they wanted to and they don't need anyone's permission to do so.  Josh obviously plans well for it, but one can see both sides of the argument. 

23 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

A family friend of ours grew up on the northern shore of Long Island and actually took the ferry across to Bridgeport just as it was starting to get bad, on his way to boarding school at Deerfield. He said it was the most harrowing experience of his life to that date, and only superseded overall by his experience fighting in WWII and Korea. He thought the boat was going to sink the chop was so bad, and his chauffeur was so scared he was crying as they drove up the road to Hartford. Presumably, the eye passed right over or just west of him. Anyway, hell of a storm and something none of us is likely to see a repeat of.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Its a straight drug for him at this point.  I get it, and reading some of his stuff, he almost seems ok with it if one of these does claim his life at some point.  There's nothing else he'd rather be doing.  Sitting at home while a Cat 5 hits some island is just not a possibility for him.  I have a deep respect for people like that, who realize this is what they want to do with their life and they are going to do it.

I also get some of the other comments... I mean, if anyone needs to come rescue him or provide emergency care.... it's the same as someone going up MWN and needing to be rescued (when a lot of the public wonders why you put the rescuers at risk).  Some people hike Everest, some chase the eyewalls of Cat 5 hurricanes, others chase tornadoes, some dive to the deepest depths of the ocean possible.    They didn't need to be there but they wanted to and they don't need anyone's permission to do so.  Josh obviously plans well for it, but one can see both sides of the argument. 

I used to be one of those people that chased storms but I stopped about 20 years ago after I became a victim and a drain on local resources.  I felt like crap being able to leave people behind to live through the aftermath misery.  For several days while I was there and unable to leave I felt like an unnecessary drain on limited resources.  I believe in personal freedom and he's welcome to do what he chooses but I couldn't live with myself just showing up and leaving.  I'm glad he was able to help some folks while he was there.

35 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Certainly was an amazing storm. The damage today would shock people.  Katherine Hepburn's family home was in Old Saybrook

http://www.historybyzim.com/2015/07/katharine-hepburn-the-new-england-hurricane-of-1938/

I can't imagine what people would do/say if we went through another 1938-1960 stretch.

There's still visible scars to trees from that storm.  Walk through a mature forest and look for trees that are at least 100 years old and you'll notice a lot of them have Y's in them about half way up.  A forester friend told me that was a remnant of the 38 hurricane because it snapped off the tops of so many trees.

Growing up and still to this day there are old logging paths in the woods around here that were used to remove so much of the fallen timber.

9 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I used to be one of those people that chased storms but I stopped about 20 years ago after I became a victim and a drain on local resources.  I felt like crap being able to leave people behind to live through the aftermath misery.  For several days while I was there and unable to leave I felt like an unnecessary drain on limited resources.  I believe in personal freedom and he's welcome to do what he chooses but I couldn't live with myself just showing up and leaving.  I'm glad he was able to help some folks while he was there.

He has assisted in rescues in other storms in the past.  I doubt he would expect anyone to come save him.   Not my cup of tea but I think he is overall adding to our common knowledge base of these storms.  

More than me at least

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

He has assisted in rescues in other storms in the past.  I doubt he would expect anyone to come save him.   Not my cup of tea but I think he is overall adding to our common knowledge base of these storms.  

More than me at least

Yeah at least he adds some very valuable knowledge of the situation, but in the end it's just a thrill seeking type behavior.  I can't talk, I've arranged my life around skiing powder which can be selfish in its own right.  I do think social media has certainly added to more of this type of stuff though (like tornado chasing), or at least you never heard about it before... but disaster tourism is an odd thing that's on the increase (folks traveling to witness natural disasters and such). 

I'm all for doing whatever makes you tick though.  We live one life, do whatever makes you enjoy it the most.

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Many years ago I attended a sports auction and one of the auction items was a newspaper from the day after the hurricane hit. It was in pristine condition.  It was very interesting to look at the front page of the paper. 

Sudden Sea The Great Hurricane of 1938 and The Great Hurricane 1938 are both excellent books on the topic.

I had a pristine copy of the 38 Hurricane emergency paper made by the Norwich Bulletin. I gave it to Hurricane Josh back in 06 at a conference as a surprise present as we had talked online and on the phone as he wanted to hear my Dads story.  He framed it and it is hung in his house. My wxweeneie dom is a direct result of living in a town where 200 people died and hearing the stories by so many relatives.  My Dad was a first responder. He described in detail what he saw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

A family friend of ours grew up on the northern shore of Long Island and actually took the ferry across to Bridgeport just as it was starting to get bad, on his way to boarding school at Deerfield. He said it was the most harrowing experience of his life to that date, and only superseded overall by his experience fighting in WWII and Korea. He thought the boat was going to sink the chop was so bad, and his chauffeur was so scared he was crying as they drove up the road to Hartford. Presumably, the eye passed right over or just west of him. Anyway, hell of a storm and something none of us is likely to see a repeat of.

I intend to experience 10 of 'em equal or surpassing 

5 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

There are some individuals who are going to complain and find fault with anything and everything.  The comment section(s) on sites gives them the opportunity to have a voice. Many sites have removed the comments section because some  individuals spend all day commenting on various news articles/stories. About 10-12 years ago there was a poster on Yahoo Finance who would post thousands of times a day about Sirius Sat Radio. He was a fan of XM Sat radio. Every post he made was a negative one.  Eventually Yahoo changed how the comments section functioned.  The change meant  the poster had  to go into each comment to reply rather than making a series of posts in one long thread. Not all that long after the change the individual stopped posting.

50 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I had a pristine copy of the 38 Hurricane emergency paper made by the Norwich Bulletin. I gave it to Hurricane Josh back in 06 at a conference as a surprise present as we had talked online and on the phone as he wanted to hear my Dads story.  He framed it and it is hung in his house. My wxweeneie dom is a direct result of living in a town where 200 people died and hearing the stories by so many relatives.  My Dad was a first responder. He described in detail what he saw.

After reading your post I decided to check Ebay for listings of newspapers with coverage of the 1938 Hurricane.  Listed for auction is a copy of The County Review from Riverhead NY. It's interesting to view some of the photos of the paper. 

Have you ever checked at your local library for newspapers from that time?

Edit: Also came across this ebay listing 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Newspaper-Photo-Book-WORCESTER-GAZETTE-New-England-Hurricane-Flood-Storm/233004700772?hash=item3640

10 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

After reading your post I decided to check Ebay for listings of newspapers with coverage of the 1938 Hurricane.  Listed for auction is a copy of The County Review from Riverhead NY. It's interesting to view some of the photos of the paper. 

Have you ever checked at your local library for newspapers from that time?

Oh yea. I am a 38 junkie. I have every book and also our local paper put out a special edition on the 50th anniversary.  I think I have read just about every account now. It was obvious a 20 to 40 ft meteotsunami tidal surge which by account after account appeared as a rapidly moving fog bank. That's  the most interesting aspect of 38 to me. Unlike our other hurricanes which bring surges of great heights over time, for some meterological reason 38 created one huge wall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Oh yea. I am a 38 junkie. I have every book and also our local paper put out a special edition on the 50th anniversary.  I think I have read just about every account now. It was obvious a 20 to 40 ft meteotsunami tidal surge which by account after account appeared as a rapidly moving fog bank. That's  the most interesting aspect of 38 to me. Unlike our other hurricanes which bring surges of great heights over time, for some meterological reason 38 created one huge wall.

You may enjoy this book.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Hurricanes-1492-1870-McWilliams-Ludlum-dp-0933876165/dp/0933876165/ref=mt_hardcover?_encoding=UTF8