• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Perhaps a Coastal Storm on March 2nd for SNE????

USCAPEWEATHERAF

I don't think today should have been that much of a surprise. Signal for these snow showers this morning had been there since Tuesday or so. But society is really becoming bleak...now you have schools letting out b/c of snow squalls and this morning there are delays b/c of a coating of snow. It has nothing to do with lack of info to the public...it has to do with the fact that people drive like idiots. 100 accidents are going to happen whether people knew about a coating of snow or not. 

Just now, Hoth said:

Yeah, yesterday there were school delays all over down here for a dusting and wet roads. Today everyone's heading into school with moderate snow and slick conditions.

Yeah, the schools weigh pretty heavily on those advisories it seems. They should come up with a school delay advisory or something. Despite having less than an inch out there, at 21 degrees the back roads are a sheet of ice...not good for busing children around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think today should have been that much of a surprise. Signal for these snow showers this morning had been there since Tuesday or so. But society is really becoming bleak...now you have schools letting out b/c of snow squalls and this morning there are delays b/c of a coating of snow. It has nothing to do with lack of info to the public...it has to do with the fact that people drive like idiots. 100 accidents are going to happen whether people knew about a coating of snow or not. 

That and the preponderance to litigate if those idiot drivers get themselves in an accident. School districts feel the need to be extra cautious.

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

That and the preponderance to litigate if those idiot drivers get themselves in an accident. School districts feel the need to be extra cautious.

Everyone is just afraid of getting sued nowadays...that's what these decisions come down to. There are probably some school districts now who cancel school or delay school more times in one winter than I went through my entire life going to school. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I’m talking more about inconsistency of the hype, for those who don’t pay that much attention to the weather. One day advisories and hardly a dusting, the next slick roads and snow coming down pretty good and people unaware (again for those who don’t follow the weather closely).

Totally agree that people don’t know how to drive.  That’s a different problem.

Just now, JKEisMan said:

I’m talking more about inconsistency of the hype, for those who don’t pay that much attention to the weather. One day advisories and hardly a dusting, the next slick roads and snow coming down pretty good and people unaware (again for those who don’t follow the weather closely).

Totally agree that people don’t know how to drive.  That’s a different problem.

ahhh gotcha...misinterpreted your post. I completely see what you're saying. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Everyone is just afraid of getting sued nowadays...that's what these decisions come down to. There are probably some school districts now who cancel school or delay school more times in one winter than I went through my entire life going to school. 

Agreed. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah first I thought it might be a little bit better but I’ll take it

It is still shooting that southeast vortmax ENE as this gains latitude...this run was once again better with downstream ridging but it's having trouble really wrapping/curling that vortmax in toward the shortwave. 

But if we get another 2 or 3 incremental shifts like that we'll be in business for a big event closer to some of the other guidance. I'm not expecting something like RGEM/hi res RGEM lol. 

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Ive never once considered this while forecasting. Seems ridiculous and probably not true. 

I know they definitely are more aggressive on the first event of the season. They'll put out advisories sometimes for events that are borderline and I've even seen them mention because its the first event of the season so it would not surprise me if they consider that

Totally objectively speaking it's a pretty tough call for this area. I haven't really looked at the fringe models but Euro/NAM is going to be mostly poorly accumulating light snow that's in and out while the GFS is borderline low-end warning. I'm not sure if the FV3 GFS carries any weight yet but it's much more in the Euro/NAM camp than it's operational big brother. I'd go 1-3'' and minimal impact right now but damn if the GFS wouldn't make me nervous.