• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    scourt
    Newest Member
    scourt

2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

I have a fun fact. BWI has recorded 20+ inches of snow in March 4 times in the past 135 years. All 4 times BWI was below climo for the season heading into March. Last time was in March of 1960. Some may look at that and say it's super rare, I look at it and say we're DUE lol. 

In all seriousness, I enjoyed this storm and it got me to 15.5 inches for the season. So one more moderate snow or a couple small ones and I'll get to climo. 

• Haha 2

Just measured ~0.15" ice accretion on tree branches.  About the same on top of the snow cover.  Pretty cool to break ice sheets off the top of the snow.  

328AAE92-9DDD-4352-A4FC-A368B09ECE92.thumb.jpeg.a737becb2b9cacbc937efa5e3f8b5f35.jpeg

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, Yeoman said:
Any power flickers yet? We're way overdue for that report to come in

We might get 3 hecs in a season before we get one real ice storm

Unfortunately we had our 20+ yr ice  storm back in Nov.... drive across Afton Mountain towards Waynesboro, looks like a giant hand of God karate chopped the tops off of every single tree ...

30 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Icing up pretty good. Sidewalk and driveway now too. 29.

Similar here . If Hrrr and 3k are right we stay icing all night into the morning. I'm betting with the thick glacier crust on top of the snow that  even mid 40s tomorrow won't create a lot of melting or snow pack loss

• Like 3

WSW extended to 1 am . 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
855 PM EST Wed Feb 20 2019

MDZ005-006-503>507-VAZ506-210600-
/O.EXT.KLWX.WS.W.0006.000000T0000Z-190221T0600Z/
Carroll-Northern Baltimore-Northwest Montgomery-
Central and Southeast Montgomery-Northwest Howard-
Central and Southeast Howard-Northwest Harford-Eastern Loudoun-
855 PM EST Wed Feb 20 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Areas of freezing rain and freezing drizzle. Total ice
  accumulations of one tenth to one quarter of an inch.

* WHERE...Portions of north central Maryland and northern
  Virginia.

* WHEN...Until 1 AM EST Thursday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will be difficult. The combined
  weight of snow, sleet and freezing rain could result in downed
  branches and isolated power outages.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow, sleet
and ice will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on
steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery,
increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

35 minutes ago, Jrlg1181 said:

Unfortunately we had our 20+ yr ice  storm back in Nov.... drive across Afton Mountain towards Waynesboro, looks like a giant hand of God karate chopped the tops off of every single tree ...

Agree. Shenandoah national park has had two terrible ice storms this year but that's a pretty different climate with most of it above 2500 feet. But yeah, they're still cleaning up trails from November. It was the worst ice storm in a long time up there. 

4 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Was a pleasure going through this event with all of you

You as well.  I think we all can get some well deserved shut eye tonight. Dream about one more round before the trees bud and weeds pop. 

Sterling mentions a chance of Zrain Late Friday night early Saturday.  Quick peek at guidance shows a mini Cad wedge Saturday..not very strong by any means but there .

Currently 30 ...and becoming a glacier here 

Rock solid event today. Over 5" snow, heavy rates for a couple hours, daytime snow, instant stickage, thundersnow/sleet for a few lucky folks, complete road coverage, sleet and zr topper, minimal rain after snow tapered off and my yard exceeded climo...  Helluva lot to like right there!

• Like 8

The storm was exceptionally well modeled.  It consistently showed up on ops and ensembles for a week or more.

What do we have to thank?  A stout 50/50? 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Rock solid event today. Over 5" snow, heavy rates for a couple hours, daytime snow, instant stickage, thundersnow/sleet for a few lucky folks, complete road coverage, sleet and zr topper, minimal rain after snow tapered off and my yard exceeded climo...  Helluva lot to like right there!

Totally agree man...real nice event today ...its been a pretty decent winter imo. Lots of Trackable events spaced fairly close since early Jan . I think it keeps going through March .

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It was pretty much a classic 3-6” DC snowstorm. Low to our west, Thump then flip. Stubborn CAD.  I appreciate a clean snowstorm, but I also like these. Part of our climo and body of work. If one only enjoys a clean storm, they’re not going to be very happy in DC metro. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Well said. You have a lot of serenity. Puts this unusual hobby in perspective. 

The flip wasn’t so bad.  It flipped to sleet and then drizzle.  At least it didn’t flip to pouring rain and wash everything away.  My yard is still covered.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Today is the kind of snow storm that I would come home as a kid tired, cold, and soaking wet from sledding all day. Even arm-tired from throwing snow balls at cars.

:lol:Yea...I was guilty back in the late 80s of bombing Baltimore city MTA busses from elevated surfaces with snowballs :whistle:....I'm not proud of it ..

Peer pressure ...

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

:lol:Yea...I was guilty back in the late 80s of bombing MTA busses from elevated surfaces with snowballs :whistle:....I'm not proud of it ..

Peer pressure ...

I hated that I liked it, but it was so much fun trying to time a snowball to the roof of a car.

eta: the thought is still appealing.

• Haha 2

I don't understand how there's a small but visible glaze on plant branches when my PWS has read 33.0-33.5 for the past 5 hours. Is that just a function of elevated surfaces being slightly colder or is my PWS reading too warm by a little?

Just now, snjókoma said:

.... or is my PWS reading too warm by a little?

Quite possible. 

Install 4 different units around your site and get 4 different readings. 

We have so much nice gadgetry these days that it's tempting to unpack the box and expect it to be right. But it's often not.

I had a met friend in the old days who had , (at one time) 15 instrument shelters in his yard in Burtonsville. Learned a lot.