• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2019

George BM

I know I'm not the problem and I'm not excusing snowchaser clearly going over the top in only talking about storms when it kinda looks good for CHO but do remember that when I and others in "non-typical locations" analyze a run we have to give a qualifier about where we are talking about, which is something most people don't have to do.

I can't just say "Pummeled at 96hr on the GFS" like people who reside in NOVA/DC/MD can, I have to caveat that with "Pummeled at 96hr in CHO & south on the GFS" which I think gives off a braggadocious vibe when it's not intended. Or I could be reading it wrong. That said, it's kind of how I used to read it when I lived in the center of the subforum's population, so I'm now gaining the perspective of the other side. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, snownut said:

Historic Feb continues here.  7 degrees this morning with ice fog & flurries.

Another 6-12" is forecast tonight into Thursday morning.  

Maybe above freezing on Saturday? 

My deck yesterday afternoon.  That deck wall is 38" high.  

Soft deck seating-Feb24-25.jpeg

That’s incredible. What’s your elevation?

I looked up the wiki page for Bend, OR and it seems to average about as much snow as IAD.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Time to pack it in I guess. Bring on Spring.

I am building a fire pit/stone surround/with plants in the middle of the back yard. Another step towards completely eliminating my "lawn".

Nice...  

I’m not throwing in the towel at all.  I kind of still expect one of these waves to step up and trend more amplified for us but today was a crappy set of runs. Even the euro op honestly didn’t really support such a strong wave looking at h5. Its been trending flatter across all guidance the last 24 hours.  We’ve seen these things ping pong back before though. 

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Nice...  

I’m not throwing in the towel at all.  I kind of still expect one of these waves to step up and trend more amplified for us but today was a crappy set of runs. Even the euro op honestly didn’t really support such a strong wave looking at h5. Its been trending flatter across all guidance the last 24 hours.  We’ve seen these things ping pong back before though. 

I'm not either. Just going with the current bad vibes flow now because the "trends" suck lol.

Kinda fun being too busy to pore over each model run though. I just check in from time to time and I am like, okay whatever. I hope we can end the season with a decent event or 2, but tbh I am over this winter. If it happens, cool- otherwise it's on to other stuff.

53 minutes ago, Fozz said:

That’s incredible. What’s your elevation?

I looked up the wiki page for Bend, OR and it seems to average about as much snow as IAD.

Weather records & stats are sketchy at best here.  Most of the weather records are from Redmond and the Airport there. (around 3000')

This is my 4th winter season living here.  My lowest snow total was the 1st year at 32" - two years ago I had 90 straight days with deep snow cover and reached 40" on the flat at my house, had 98" that year in town. 

This year I am at 52" as of today but this storm will likely add at least 10" to that total.  Moderate snow and 15 degrees at 4 pm Pacific time as I type this. 

City of Bend, where I live, claims average of 40" of snow per year. 

I am on a west side butte at 3777 feet.  Downtown on the river is around 3,600 feet and the hills and south end of town go over 4000'  Micro climate here are insane. 

Just 5 miles west of me at 4,500 feet snow averages double even triple and then above 5,500 is where it normally has snow cover for 6 months and huge snow totals, usually measured in feet. 

Mt Bachelor Ski resort ( 21 mile easy drive from my house ) base elevation is 6,500 feet.  They have had about 300" this season at the base elevation with 128" base as of this morning. 

The 9,000-10,000 foot peaks get more than 50' of snow per year and are snowcapped year round. 

So bottom line, a very wintery place even when the averages in town don't seem like much. 

In May you can ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon just 15 miles apart. 

My favorite season here is summer. Endless sunshine, low humidity cool nights (don't have AC) most summer nights it drops into the 40's even if it is 90 in the afternoon.

Lived in Virginia area for 47 years and don't miss the climate there at all.

Link to my weather station and web cam (which points at Mt Bachelor) https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KORBEND204#history

More about this mountain recreation town: https://www.visitbend.com/

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Time to pack it in I guess. Bring on Spring.

I am building a fire pit/stone surround/with plants in the middle of the back yard. Another step towards completely eliminating my "lawn".

Have any interest in replicating that in say, oh, I don’t know...McHenry?  I know a house that would take one. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snownut said:

Weather records & stats are sketchy at best here.  Most of the weather records are from Redmond and the Airport there. (around 3000')

This is my 4th winter season living here.  My lowest snow total was the 1st year at 32" - two years ago I had 90 straight days with deep snow cover and reached 40" on the flat at my house, had 98" that year in town. 

This year I am at 52" as of today but this storm will likely add at least 10" to that total.  Moderate snow and 15 degrees at 4 pm Pacific time as I type this. 

City of Bend, where I live, claims average of 40" of snow per year. 

I am on a west side butte at 3777 feet.  Downtown on the river is around 3,600 feet and the hills and south end of town go over 4000'  Micro climate here are insane. 

Just 5 miles west of me at 4,500 feet snow averages double even triple and then above 5,500 is where it normally has snow cover for 6 months and huge snow totals, usually measured in feet. 

Mt Bachelor Ski resort ( 21 mile easy drive from my house ) base elevation is 6,500 feet.  They have had about 300" this season at the base elevation with 128" base as of this morning. 

The 9,000-10,000 foot peaks get more than 50' of snow per year and are snowcapped year round. 

So bottom line, a very wintery place even when the averages in town don't seem like much. 

In May you can ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon just 15 miles apart. 

My favorite season here is summer. Endless sunshine, low humidity cool nights (don't have AC) most summer nights it drops into the 40's even if it is 90 in the afternoon.

Lived in Virginia area for 47 years and don't miss the climate there at all.

Link to my weather station and web cam (which points at Mt Bachelor) https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KORBEND204#history

More about this mountain recreation town: https://www.visitbend.com/

Sounds like a spectacular place to live. And Mt Bachelor is just incredible.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

For any of the Eagle Rare fans, I was picking up a bottle of whiskey for a friend's birthday at Pine Orchard in Ellicott City today, and saw this little 1.75 L dealio. 

Eta: the $30.99 is for the Backbone. I think the price on the ER was $85.

57299251160__3D489848-CBB8-4D31-809E-7874E81A4488.thumb.JPG.133a2a4e461447c0ca2803ec33c8fe59.JPG

Eagle Rare is my favorite "treat yoself" whiskey. My sister gave it to me as a gift one birthday and i fell in love. but its pricey! 

• Like 1

The last storm that drew the Winter Storm Warning topped out at only 3.7 inches at my location in Balt City thanks to the unmodeled dry slot from hell that turned the precip off at noon and the slowness in getting going in the morning.  That means this little nothing event tonight has a chance to beat that.  Weird year up here in this part of the forum.

4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Sick child is never a good thing. Hope he/she? feels better soon. Sympathy for you as well as I am sure you will be pulling your hair out. And don't catch the strep, ya hear? :)

She -- is home with her daddy right now, I have afternoon duty. Hopefully, fingers crossed, I will be spared. We seemed to have caught it before it got too bad. But never fun to see your kid sick. 

• Like 3