Total Members
    Most Online
    jstev4506
    Newest Member
    jstev4506
George BM

February Banter 2019

11 hours ago, Yeoman said:

Then what would you do you with the 23 extra hours in your day? A guaranteed 100" winter would guarantee your loss of passion for it within a couple of years, I'd wager

Maybe but I doubt it. I have spend winters in snowy places and it didn’t get old. I loved stepping outside to a snow covered landscape as much on the 30th day as the first. Just something about a snow covered ground feels right to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Maybe but I doubt it. I have spend winters in snowy places and it didn’t get old. I loved stepping outside to a snow covered landscape as much on the 30th day as the first. Just something about a snow covered ground feels right to me. 

And there would be a lot more time spent out in it, enjoying it, rather than constantly poring over models, desperately looking for the next chance of a few inches, and then all the hand wringing that goes along with the bust potential even at game time. Also more time for going to brew pubs and stuff, with a snow covered landscape.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I've been doing weenie research into historic snowstorms and was shocked to see how high the ratios were at DCA and BWI on 2/10/10- why was that? It doesn't seem like it would have been cold enough? According to NCDC records that was about a 28:1 ratio at both airports.

The ratios were good, but I am guessing that the bigger problem was undercatch in the gauges.  The climo sites are notorious for coming up with low precip amounts during winter storms.

• Thanks 1

For those that saw my post yesterday related to the Winter Storm Watch affecting my ski trip to Jackson Hole, it is now a Warning. I need to share this area forecast discussion with my home weather forum. For this to happen while I am here is just unthinkable to me as I am never lucky with storm timing. Read this lol. I assure you I will take a jeb walk for everyone. 07f115d346ee04d4f2a80ffa49669663.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You, Reaper, arent gonna reap anyone.

Because we are getting MORE snow this winter in the Mid Atlantic.

Put the sickle away. You are SOL.

You, Reaper, arent gonna reap anyone.

Because we are getting MORE snow this winter in the Mid Atlantic.

Put the sickle away. You are SOL.

27 minutes ago, AdamHLG said:

For those that saw my post yesterday related to the Winter Storm Watch affecting my ski trip to Jackson Hole, it is now a Warning. I need to share this area forecast discussion with my home weather forum. For this to happen while I am here is just unthinkable to me as I am never lucky with storm timing. Read this lol. I assure you I will take a jeb walk for everyone. 07f115d346ee04d4f2a80ffa49669663.jpg

You need any help diggin' out up there? I could probably drive up there from TX in a day and a half. I get up there, I will put your plows out of effin' business.

• Like 1

Sad day for the angling community in the region @Bob Chill and @jaydreb

4 Mile Run has a chemical spill :-/ And nobody is giving any answers as to why or where it's coming from or even if they are investigating.

1wsiuct.jpg

There goes my one winter fishing spot.

There's a ton of video of the sheen online and it's still pouring from a drain.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Sad day for the angling community in the region @Bob Chill and @jaydreb

4 Mile Run has a chemical spill :-/ And nobody is giving any answers as to why or where it's coming from or even if they are investigating.

1wsiuct.jpg

There goes my one winter fishing spot.

There's a ton of video of the sheen online and it's still pouring from a drain.

Yeah I was there yesterday.  Left after 20 mins.  The smell was terrible and there were booms in the water to contain the spill.  It’s a shame.  The good news is that in less than a month we shouldn’t need a winter fishing spot and we can go elsewhere.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Yeah I was there yesterday.  Left after 20 mins.  The smell was terrible and there were booms in the water to contain the spill.  It’s a shame.  The good news is that in less than a month we shouldn’t need a winter fishing spot and we can go elsewhere.  

Can't wait. I tried hitting a small pond recently but got nothing.

6 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

You can fish in Four Mile Run? I did not know that.

It is the best winter fishing spot in DC bar none, given the warm water discharge.

45 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

It is the best winter fishing spot in DC bar none, given the warm water discharge.

Not sure how long you've lived in the area.  If you catch anything out of there, highly suggest catch and release.  Much of the area around 4-mile run is landfill, especially the lower reaches E of Shirley Hwy to Nat.  Much of that landfill is contaminated with god only knows what.  Remember when I moved here in the 80's all the foam that used to float down on the surface, especially ivo the treatment plant.  They tried various skimming techniques, but year after year it was an issue.  No doubt they must have some better technology these days, but.....  

5 minutes ago, RDM said:

Not sure how long you've lived in the area.  If you catch anything out of there, highly suggest catch and release.  Much of the area around 4-mile run is landfill, especially the lower reaches E of Shirley Hwy to Nat.  Much of that landfill is contaminated with god only knows what.  Remember when I moved here in the 80's all the foam that used to float down on the surface, especially ivo the treatment plant.  They tried various skimming techniques, but year after year it was an issue.  No doubt they must have some better technology these days, but.....  

Yeah.  Catch and release only for me.  Not eating anything out of there.  

Just now, Deer Whisperer said:

@yoda what is our hockey team

I have no idea.  That was an embarrassing and infuriating loss.  I dont care that we got a point.  That should have been a win.  Turrible 

At least the Caps lost 5-2 to Buffalo

24 minutes ago, RDM said:

I only catch and release anyway.

Just now, yoda said:

I have no idea.  That was an embarrassing and infuriating loss.  I dont care that we got a point.  That should have been a win.  Turrible 

At least the Caps lost 5-2 to Buffalo

that's a game you HAVE to win. Up 3-1 with 4 minutes left and you lose is embarrassing to say the least. Letang and Dumolin both getting hurt makes me nervous about the final stretch of the season :(

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Yeah.  Catch and release only for me.  Not eating anything out of there.  

Serious question - have you caught anything in there with deformities?  Back in the time (80's and early 90's), recall some environmental studies that discovered some mutations in the fish ivo 4-mile.  It was part of a larger environmental effort on the Potomac.  Regret I don't know all the details, but it caused a ruckus a the time.  

3 minutes ago, RDM said:

Serious question - have you caught anything in there with deformities?  Back in the time (80's and early 90's), recall some environmental studies that discovered some mutations in the fish ivo 4-mile.  It was part of a larger environmental effort on the Potomac.  Regret I don't know all the details, but it caused a ruckus a the time.  

Nothing with serious deformities, but a lot of bass there have hyperpigmentation (black spots)

15 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

Similar forecast here in Oregon Cascades.  18" overnight at Mt  Bachelor and another 40-50" expected before it starts winding down Wednesday.  Base depth snow pack will be 12-14 feet by Wednesday.  (from my house is it 8 miles west (1800' up) to deep snowpack and 21 miles to Mt Bachelor Parking lot)  Not near as much snow here at my house but does look like 18-24" by Wednesday morning. The April- May ski conditions should be awesome.  I am not missing my 47 years of winters in Virginia.  Even though there were some incredible storms and winters there the normal 6 months of deep winter here in the mountains is hard to match for winter weather lovers.  

15 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

You have another home weather forum other than this one? 

Anyways, enjoy your trip and share some good pics!