Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

5 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Too close to the coast. Probably just rain.

Nope. A wound up coastal doesn't need to be that far from the coast. 

The problem on that run is that it redevelops a bit too late for our area and buries 40N. Get an earlier transfer and it's a MECS for us.

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

looks like a hybrid...interesting

CAPE alluded that some EPS members had Miller B s, however, not sure if he meant this time frame or early March. 

For MBY that track needs to be a bit more East a bit. Favor a further South track too and then a turn up.  Looks like late Feb and early March will be interesting. Boston back in the game soon. 

This is at the beginning of the better window, cough cough. I think it is too early yet to be confident about this period, late Feb. But, nice seeing the Euro support the GFS, GEFS and the MJO progression.   

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Just for fun... but until guidance gets a better handle on this I wouldn't trust any op run.  The idea of a storm there (where CAPE targeted) is just coming into focus now.    Long range suddenly looks really interesting again.  

ecmwf_snow_48_maryland_35.thumb.png.4144ed172410934a48307712dfa5946d.png

i was wondering what we were going to do after this storm lol...but hopefully with SOI,MJO going nuts...we can get our february back that we dreamed about lol

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

i was wondering what we were going to do after this storm lol...but hopefully with SOI,MJO going nuts...we can get our february back that we dreamed about lol

You're going to do nothing because in 12 hours that storm won't be there.  Haven't you learned by now with this winter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

You're going to do nothing because in 12 hours that storm won't be there.  Haven't you learned by now with this winter?

i havent seen many storms dissappear this winter within 7-8 days. Our problem is we have been seeing the D11-15 pattern never make it out of D11-15 but we have done alot of long range storm tracking this year. Now if it was a midwest cutter, you wouldnt be saying  this LOL

53 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It CAN happen...just very rare but March 1960 Winchester recorded 11", 5", and 7.5" of snow in March and had 9 straight days with a high below freezing AND didn't reach 40 degrees for the first time in the month until March 17th!  There was snowcover until March 22nd.   That is the most extreme stretch of snow/cold we have ever seen in March but history says it is possible.  

:o

Whoa.   Now that would satisfy me.

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

eps look pretty good till winter dosent matter any more. 50 50 low and east based EPO seem real

image.thumb.png.0edad7e0db102b3f85c01d7d8185ff2f.png

It looks good for a threat day 8 and 13 ish. It even develops a decent ridge bridge then breaks it down but why trust was it dies day 15 anyways. I love that significant improvement are happening inside day 10 all of a sudden. 

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Mentioned it this morning after the 0z run. Looked Miller B-ish to me on the mean and glancing through the members.

Its a ways off, so this may evolve, but this period looks kind of interesting to me.

It's a got an April 82 and March 60 look. Strong -EPO and a fairly zonal flow.

Was a great event looking at the records. 

Huge expanse of snow cover, very cold and bombing out off the coast.  

Related image

March 2 - 4 1960

Snowfall amounts with this late season nor'easter ranged from six inches along the Ohio River to a foot in the mountains. Higher elevation in the central West Virginia Mountains topped 20 inches. This was the third highest average snow producing Nor'easter.

It was precluded by surface high pressure over the mid Atlantic on the 2nd, while a second high pressure built into the northern plains. The high pressure over the mid-Atlantic was stubborn and was not initially displaced by a developing low pressure across Mississippi and Alabama area. The high was shoved aside by 00Z on the 3rd when the surface cyclone in the Gulf Coast states headed northeast. With the close proximity between the high and low pressure, a strong pressure gradient developed bringing windy conditions to West Virginia. Coastal cyclogenesis commenced off the Carolina coastline between 00Z and 12Z on the 3rd. The coastal low raced up the eastern seaboard reaching the Jersey shoreline by the evening of the 3rd. The coastal low deepened 45mb in 30hrs from 6Z on the 3rd to 12Z on the 4th. The minimum central pressure fell to 960mb off New England. As the surface low hugged the eastern seaboard, the occluded low traversed up the windward side of the Appalachians. As the surface low passed east of the southern Appalachians, an inverted trough of low pressure developed that focused moderate to heavier snow in the mountains.

The 850mb analysis was most interesting. A low initiated in the southern high plains then intensified rapidly across Texas due to a low level jet. By 00Z on the 3rd, the low became cut off in the vicinity of Memphis, TN. Height falls upstream of the low allowed a continued northeast propagation through March 3rd into the 4th. The 850mb moved from southwestern Tennessee to Roanoke, VAin a span of 12 hours, which correlated well with the swift movement of the surface cyclone. Strong cyclonic flow on the backside of the system kept snow going in the West Virginia Mountains. As the 850mb low passed south and east of the West Virginia, 850mb temperatures remained between 0C to -5C, which kept the thermal profile conducive for snow.

A negatively tilted 500mb trough strengthened as it ejected out of the Rockies. Meanwhile an upper level jet deepened as the trough propagated eastward across the Gulf Coast states on the 2nd and 3rd. A cut off low developed on the evening of the third over the eastern Great Lakes. The upper low then moved into the Atlantic and intensified further, while yet another low dove into the elongated trough axis that extended from the western Great Lakes to the New England.

4 hours ago, Ji said:

i havent seen many storms dissappear this winter within 7-8 days. Our problem is we have been seeing the D11-15 pattern never make it out of D11-15 but we have done alot of long range storm tracking this year. Now if it was a midwest cutter, you wouldnt be saying  this LOL

Our storm tomorrow was there for at least a week or more. And there was something popping up around Feb 26-28th last week if I remember correctly. 

The best storm of the winter will probably come around 10th to 15th of March. Just a hunch based on the pattern we have now translating into a deeper mid-continent trough once it finally shifts away from the west coast. Although there's currently lots of cold air in good places to your north, that other feature of arctic air diving south into Arizona and New Mexico is bound to produce lows heading northeast from Texas. Like the current one, the best they can do is give a front-end thump. Get one of these fat boys to form further east and head up the east coast, and you've got yourselves a HECS. Thinking March will deliver that potential. 

• Like 5