• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

From Don S a little while ago.  Don does go onto to say that the first week in March has some potential for the New Yprk City area and tonights weeklies depict a cold first week of March and then warming thereafter. 

We are lucky some snow is in our forecast.  New York City is missing it form the South and the North.  Payback for Boxing Day , J/K  

Don S 

<<<<

On February 17, the MJO was in Phase 8 at an amplitude of 1.524 (RMM). The amplitude was above the February 16-adjusted figure of 1.283. The MJO could spend an extended duration in Phase 8.

The combination of a neutral-warm ENSO and a powerful polar vortex responsible for the strongly positive AO remain the dominant factors driving the pattern evolution. They will likely continue to predominate over the next week. As a result, MJO convection will have little meaningful impact on the larger pattern during that time.

The SOI remains at very negative levels. The SOI has a correlation to precipitation in the southern tier of the United States. As a result, precipitation will likely be above to much above normal in both the Southwestern United States (including California) and Southeastern United States.

>>>

16 minutes ago, frd said:

From Don S a little while ago.  Don does go onto to say that the first week in March has some potential for the New Yprk City area and tonights weeklies depict a cold first week of March and then warming thereafter. 

We are lucky some snow is in our forecast.  New York City is missing it form the South and the North.  Payback for Boxing Day , J/K  

Don S 

<<<<

On February 17, the MJO was in Phase 8 at an amplitude of 1.524 (RMM). The amplitude was above the February 16-adjusted figure of 1.283. The MJO could spend an extended duration in Phase 8.

The combination of a neutral-warm ENSO and a powerful polar vortex responsible for the strongly positive AO remain the dominant factors driving the pattern evolution. They will likely continue to predominate over the next week. As a result, MJO convection will have little meaningful impact on the larger pattern during that time.

The SOI remains at very negative levels. The SOI has a correlation to precipitation in the southern tier of the United States. As a result, precipitation will likely be above to much above normal in both the Southwestern United States (including California) and Southeastern United States.

>>>

so what exactly did the SSW do again. AO has been positive pretty much all of feb

• Like 1

@psuhoffman @C.A.P.E.

I figure I drop this over here after a brief exchange this AM with bluewave about the WAR and why it has been so constant and not willing to be displaced. 

His reply was interesting. 

Seems as we mentioned a few times in the past,  the warm waters East of Aussie have a role , as does the High pressure ridge North of Hawaii. I imagine the High is a feature we see there due to the SST configuration from below.   

I guess you could say this SST configuration and the lack of a December with a significant - SOI and lack of coupling set in motion if you may the repeating and almost reinforced nature of the MJO in the warmer phases and the SSWE sure did not help. ( thats my speculative take )  

From an atmospheric point of view, the QBO and nature of the SSWE  sure did not present the downwelling that the weeklies forecasted for many runs in a row. But, I digress, here is what bluewave posted this morning about the WAR.    

here it is

Posted 13 hours ago

from bluewave 

The lack of snow this winter is par for the course for such a strong ridge north of Hawaii. This allows the SE Ridge to flex every time a low moves east.

C7A55073-E67C-4569-BC00-B199DD1DC270.gif.e6d8ef8db3f38abc8b34b6416da273cc.gif

•  

@bluewave that is very interesting. In the Mid Atlantic forum we are trying to figure out the cause for the resilient WAR . Even when we seem to have Atlantic or pac blocking modeled or even in real time that feature does not break down or shift that much to the East or Southeast. 

bluewave to clarify you are saying the reason for this is the association with strong ridge north of Hawaii ?

And,  if that is correct what is the driver for that feature North of Hawaii?

I myself was wondering about the SSt East of Aussie and the OLR that forms waves, peaks and eddies that go from the SW Pacific to the SW Atlantic , is that the cause ?

Someone else thought is was the warm SSTs in the Atlantic but that goes against what you are saying , because the strong ridge north of Hawaii has nothing to do with Atlantic SSTs.  

Thanks 

from bluewave 

My guess is that the ridge north of Hawaii is part fo the pressure pattern we normally see with a +SOI and La Niña. During the fall into winter there were unusually warm SST’s east of Australia and cooler west. That is what we normally see with La Niña/+SOI. So the record +SOI December for an El Niño fit the expected pattern from that SST configuration. The warmer waters west of the Date Line is also associated with stronger MJO activity. The active and strong MJO seemed to enhance the overall Niña look to the pattern.

6 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:
No he was saying how the pattern has Nina characteristics. 

Nina are usually not this wet and don't have a full time sti and dont clobber so cal with rain. This has been a Nino without blocking

We have done better in February ninos without blocking like 2003 and 2015 though.  This nino was also lacking the typical Aleutian trough epo ridge and instead featured a north pac ridge like a Nina.  So I think a better description is like a Nina with an stj. Either way it had hybrid characteristics. 

Kidding aside the pattern coming up can work if we get just enough ridging either from the epo or NAO to suppress the SE ridge. 

12 minutes ago, Ji said:
No he was saying how the pattern has Nina characteristics. 

Nina are usually not this wet and don't have a full time sti and dont clobber so cal with rain. This has been a Nino without blocking

Yeah it started raining in April when ENSO when Nino. 

The pattern long range is starting to look like 2014 and 2015 some. If your gonna live on the epo it needs to extend into Canada like that. When it’s directed into Alaska all it does is dump troughs into the west this time of year. 

That look might actually be too much...I would be a little worried about suppression IF that actually ended up correct. 

Also I can kinda see why 1993 is in the analogs. The way you get that kind of bomb is if something rotated and dives in under that displaced TPV and amplifies then pulls it in. You get the monster phased bomb. But that’s a super long shot. Most times that setup is there it doesn’t come together. Like 99%. 

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Were gonna need that stj once the TPV gets suppressed to our north. 

You still thinkin we have a window of snow in early March.  regardless of all the mixed views and insights about the SOI, it sure has been on a tear. 

I wish for some STJ action in early March or at least a blip -NAO , maybe slow the flow  

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

he eps has been sneakily trending towards the gefs. They break the Atlantic down towards the end but who cares what they do out in “haven’t had a clue all year” leads. Through day 8-12 big improvements 

inside 290 hours, hey, thats better !  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@C.A.P.E. the eps has been sneakily trending towards the gefs. They break the Atlantic down towards the end but who cares what they do out in “haven’t had a clue all year” leads. Through day 8-12 big improvements 

013AED19-C227-4B6C-9F84-15BD4D50C70C.thumb.png.31e90480277d426698feef7846e8bbfb.png

I was literally just looking at that exact panel lol. Pretty good look, and I kinda like the mid week period next week for something. Ens mean is hinting at some sort of a miller b deal around then.

• Like 1

Were gonna need that stj once the TPV gets suppressed to our north. 

Interesting post from 33andrain, so as I read it the -SOI is manifested in such a way currently that the effects are not typical.  

7 hours ago, Event Horizon said:

SOI: -43.61

No surprises there....

IMG_6390.GIF

We are in a major WWB, and it is having a negative effect on the SOI, by pushing a more tropical signal out towards Tahiti.

More interestingly, the one thing the WWB is not affecting is the FT

IMG_6391.GIF

It is near it's negative low point, which seems to be contrary to the massive addition of westerly momentum.

I don't think it is a coincidence, that the only +FT in the last three months was during the only strong WWB in the Eastern Indian Ocean and Maritime Continent on and around the 25th Dec.

guidance finally picking up on this?

330901951_ECMF_phase_51m_small(1).gif.077f3dab4c56c4ae676a50f1ba292245.gif

It's obvious the SE ridge and the TNH pattern is resisting the full impacts of a nino phase 8/1/2 which would typically go to full on NAO blocking and a deep eastern trough.  The look now is more of a hybrid between a +TNH pattern and a nino MJO phase 8/1/2.  The key to that compromise working is to get just enough ridge over the top to suppress the boundary south of us.  Then we can either hit a wave like 2014 or 2015...or if we want to go for broke hope for the 1993 type of thing with something rotating down around the PV and bombing.  It doesn't have to be to the extreme of 1993 (and very likely wouldn't be) to work.  

• Like 1