Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/29- 1/30 Storm Threat

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's very high end, even in the most intense Lake Effect or Upslope squalls.  

I think that's about my max at the ski resort.  4" in 45 minutes or so with thunder for a squall.  That's so awesome that happened in a heavily populated area.  Sounds like it would be complete anarchy for a while on the roads.

It was a disaster in ORH that evening because it hit right at beginning of rush hour....I wanna say 430-5pm-ish....and it was like 29-30F or something when it hit. So the first few minutes was mostly melting on the busy streets (not back roads though)....and then all hell broke loose as it came down at the 6-7" per hour rate and temps went from like 30F to 18F by the end of it....flash freeze. I remember people took like 2 hours to go just a couple miles in some cases, lol.

Not sure which thread the snow squalls for tomorrow are being discussed in, but holy shit. These things are going to mean business. Bufkit soundings at EWR/GFS showing potential for gusts I’ve never seen forecasted around here lol. Don’t think they will be that extreme, but 55-75 can’t be ruled out 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Not sure which thread the snow squalls for tomorrow are being discussed in, but holy shit. These things are going to mean business. Bufkit soundings at EWR/GFS showing potential for gusts I’ve never seen forecasted around here lol. Don’t think they will be that extreme, but 55-75 can’t be ruled out 

GFS always overdoes winds.  Probably because of how warm the low levels can be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Let’s knock some down!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS always overdoes winds.  Probably because of how warm the low levels can be. 

I figured the NAM would show at least half the GFS, but I was still shocked to see the NAM spitting out 60-65+ knots. The 850 jet means business so I guess a 60-65 knot isn’t out of the question 

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yawn, toss, sell.

YTS

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Its round and says Rubbermaid on it.

• Haha 2

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Fraud Five:

Windex, Anafront, Norlun, Backlash, Severe/Wind

Two criteria met here.

Time for you to relax, let us enjoy our little victories.  We already know you only get off on 24 plus or Cat 3s . We get it, some of us are here to learn from others  and help educate others about the immense variety of meteorological outcomes. I personally am wondering why Wiz thinks those winds mix down and why Brian doesn't. It makes for a learning opportunity.  You have also gained a lot of respect for your detailed outlooks. Very educational. 

• Like 2

Just now, BrianW said:

What time are the squalls expected to roll through the New Haven area? I plan on leaving work early depending on the time. 95 can suck in events like this. Don't feel like sitting in my car for hours if it does turn out bad. 

Heard this morning that the times were between 2-5 pm.  Don’t know if that will hold or not, but that was what I heard this morning. 

56 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Time for you to relax, let us enjoy our little victories.  We already know you only get off on 24 plus or Cat 3s . We get it, some of us are here to learn from others  and help educate others about the immense variety of meteorological outcomes. I personally am wondering why Wiz thinks those winds mix down and why Brian doesn't. It makes for a learning opportunity.  You have also gained a lot of respect for your detailed outlooks. Very educational. 

Yea, its nice to spend 14 pages explaining why it will snow, then watch it go down the toilet. lol

Steve, you are 100% right...I'm just being sarcastic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I’d go w ummm Brian