Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lots of folks on here giving up this morning. Usually when that happens is when winter settles in

Well “settling in” has taken quite some time considering we have about four weeks left to get it done. Me thinks people are realizing the levels of futility if we don’t get two HECS in a month, it’s a tall order.

27 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes and the rest of the pattern matches up well too, we had some cold and dry stretches after the pattern flipped around Jan 20 but the big snows waited until Mid February.  That was our first decent snow since November.  And we had another one in March!

What was the date of that big snow in Feb 2013, Jer?

2/8/13.  Kevin got 3 feet.  3/8/13 most of is get 18-24.  Later in March a couple of more decent (6+) events.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The only reason I have to think otherwise is that we did have this pattern 7-8 times in the 80s and it always sucked lol.

These kinds of patterns are very stable and hard to dislodge- you need a really strong el nino to do it, not the kind we have right now.  Cold/dry with a southern storm track interspersed with cutters/huggers in between cold shots is a very familiar pattern that we had for a decade or more.

a big change a la Feb 2013 could do it

Not during weak el nino.

Just now, weathafella said:

2/8/13.  Kevin got 3 feet.  3/8/13 most of is get 18-24.  Later in March a couple of more decent (6+) events.

Yes, I think we could all "settle" for that kind of a turn around lol.  February 10- March 20 if you want to stretch it to its boundaries- that's 40 days of winter.

58 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah nothing screams winter like a back door front.  Enjoy your naper next week, and the countdown to end this horrific winter is on. 

We got porked even on the squalls last night. Fitting. Looks like we can punt the first 10+ days of Feb... sitting at like 8” here. As we creep later into winter here, all time ratter def on the table at this local 

4 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Why?  It's the same pattern we have had all winter, Pacific isn't going to change and shows zero signs 

The pacific has given us the cold.   It’s mostly been ok.  The Atlantic has allowed cutters.  That shows a prog of changing for the better.  Some will say it won’t happen but to ignore what’s on all guidance doesn’t make sense to me.

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The Pacific isn’t bad. We have a -EPO. What hurts is the propensity for troughing out west and no blocking for us in the east. The EPS does having Greenland ridging developing, but it’s still far enough way for me to question it.  

The ridging needs to be over Rockies for something this SNE board wants . Hasn’t been all year.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Sorry Ray, but losing the first half of the month could be the difference between getting one KU and two.  I know you still hold hope for the 1968-69 analog to work out but I think that one also had the Lindsey storm earlier in the month.  This time around it might be more like 2012-13 and there may be only one KU event rather than two.  Still, much better than what we have right now!

*March had a significant event in 2013 too, which can also happen this time around, but not on the same level as the historic Feb 2013 storm.

Or zero KU’s

48 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The ridging needs to be over Rockies for something this SNE board wants . Hasn’t been all year.

If the standard is 2015....yeah. But there's plenty of other epic years that didn't have it. A bit of Atlantic help would certainly be a good thing.