Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

26 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Jan. 1-15, 2014 gave me 3.46" precip and 2.1" snow, with daily temp avg 23/0, which is 4° BN.  That's a VERY unlikely trifecta.  Rest of the month brought no more rain, nor much of anything else (just 0.31" precip) while keeipng the temps about the same.  Still my least snowy January of 21 here.

Yup that's the month I remember.  

Wonder what the chances are in NNE during some of the coldest climo...going -4F departure and have multiple rain events without any snow?  

Well below normal temps, above normal precip and zero snow.  It's going to trigger me again :lol:.

58 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That that is a perfect summary.  All those 2015 storms were like 1/3rd of an inch of QPF at like 3F with bullet flakes piling up at 8:1 ratios as dry air continually came in from the north.  

My biggest melt ever was January 2014 though.  Philly had like 6 warning events and we had none, and it would go from -20F to raining in like 12 hours.  Then it would get brutally cold and S.SNE/NYC/PHL would get a 12-18" overrunning event.  Riding the Gondola with Tim Kelley drawing weather maps in the condensation on the Gondola windows as it rains, lol, good times.  

I have a photo to look for later...my yard with like yellow bulge ice bubbling from the ground and what looks like garage sized puddles frozen on top of like 2-4" of glacial ice in later January 2014.  

The one thing I remember from 2014 that is sort of like this year...I couldn't figure out why with that -EPO and deep cold the events would just be wire to wire rain.  That's a big part of winter climo, getting the 3-6" front enders before it goes to rain.  But we had none of that.  Just -20F to 40F and rain in like 12-18 hours.  

Yeah that's exactly how I remember too...and as for your last sentence about the lack of front enders, it's like the bad fortune that SNE is getting this year. Like we can't buy a front ender (at least between 11/15 and last week) or these smaller events like dying/meat grinder clippers or IVTs....they aren't all that appreciated on here from a weenie standpoint, but they are part of SNE snowfall climo. Getting 2 inches on a poorly timed shortwave that produces a weak IVT instead of a real storm happens a few times a winter here. We can't get anything to work out. It was like that for you in January 2014 until the tables seemed to flip back to normalcy a little bit in Feb/Mar.

55 minutes ago, weathafella said:

But I (and others thought you meant Ray.  Tip melts great as in Boxing Day 2010

Reread the thread Ray responds to Tip. I used poor guy to respond to Ray meaning Tipper Canoe and Tyler too. Poor guy will never forget it. But lol at Ray with 2 feet and saying what he said. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Reread the thread Ray responds to Tip. I used poor guy to respond to Ray meaning Tipper Canoe and Tyler too. Poor guy will never forget it. But lol at Ray with 2 feet and saying what he said. 

The Boxing Day 2010 Tip meltdown was great because of the irony in it....we had this incredible storm with excessive winds and very low pressure (960s) going over the outer Cape but the snow hole over the interior (esp his area and the CT valley) is what he focused on, when he's usually the one that preaches appreciating other forms of weather outside of snow. 

• Haha 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The Boxing Day 2010 Tip meltdown was great because of the irony in it....we had this incredible storm with excessive winds and very low pressure (960s) going over the outer Cape but the snow hole over the interior (esp his area and the CT valley) is what he focused on, when he's usually the one that preaches appreciating other forms of weather outside of snow. 

Its like Hippy saying 78 wasn't a top ten SNE snowstorm. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lol...I was going back and forth with Tip as I was getting crushed that night.

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its my personal preference....they are all KUs...if asked to grade them, its not top five for me. I don't mean SNE as a whole 

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:lol: Good lord.  Very young PF right there.  That's like circa 2007 or even before?  Walking down the streets of ORH, man I look good in those jeans.

Holding on tight to Will’s hand for security so you can have the reassurance that NNE will someday outsnow SNE once again.