Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Of course the low off the SE coast is progged to go offshore,  while the second low is up our fanny. Thank you sir may I have another.

I wasn't even considering that first low egress SE as part of that thing anyway - but who knows... time to morph this thing -

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It has a crazy tight gradient...so you probably want the low to track just east of Cape Ann going gangbusters at that point....would prob give you a few hours of blizzard conditions on that setup. The OP Euro basically tracked it right over the interior up to Tamarack's fanny and we saw how close that was. We don't need this over ACK.

Speak for yourself, but from where I stand, I do.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya I believe the mountains worst winter ever was 175”. He suffered lol

Well of course the actual mountain was fine but I remember several times he would have like a 9" pack of slowly sublimating arctic sand down in Stowe at his place while Scooter was buried. He used to post it all the time...like "I wonder how many days Scooter is going to have a bigger snow pack than me"...lol. I think one of the Jan 2014 storms, Scooter had like 16" and powderfreak had a frozen crust of 2" after all the cutters and refreezes.

PF is due to get like 150" in the village this year while Scooter gets 20", lol.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well of course the actual mountain was fine but I remember several times he would have like a 9" pack of slowly sublimating arctic sand down in Stowe at his place while Scooter was buried. He used to post it all the time...like "I wonder how many days Scooter is going to have a bigger snow pack than me"...lol. I think one of the Jan 2014 storms, Scooter had like 16" and powderfreak had a frozen crust of 2" after all the cutters and refreezes.

PF is due to get like 150" in the village this year while Scooter gets 20", lol.

That that is a perfect summary.  All those 2015 storms were like 1/3rd of an inch of QPF at like 3F with bullet flakes piling up at 8:1 ratios as dry air continually came in from the north.  

My biggest melt ever was January 2014 though.  Philly had like 6 warning events and we had none, and it would go from -20F to raining in like 12 hours.  Then it would get brutally cold and S.SNE/NYC/PHL would get a 12-18" overrunning event.  Riding the Gondola with Tim Kelley drawing weather maps in the condensation on the Gondola windows as it rains, lol, good times.  

I have a photo to look for later...my yard with like yellow bulge ice bubbling from the ground and what looks like garage sized puddles frozen on top of like 2-4" of glacial ice in later January 2014.  

The one thing I remember from 2014 that is sort of like this year...I couldn't figure out why with that -EPO and deep cold the events would just be wire to wire rain.  That's a big part of winter climo, getting the 3-6" front enders before it goes to rain.  But we had none of that.  Just -20F to 40F and rain in like 12-18 hours.  

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That that is a perfect summary.  All those 2015 storms were like 1/3rd of an inch of QPF at like 3F with bullet flakes piling up at 8:1 ratios as dry air continually came in from the north.  

My biggest melt ever was January 2014 though.  Philly had like 6 warning events and we had none, and it would go from -20F to raining in like 12 hours.  Then it would get brutally cold and S.SNE/NYC/PHL would get a 12-18" overrunning event.  Riding the Gondola with Tim Kelley drawing weather maps in the condensation on the Gondola windows as it rains, lol, good times.  

I have a photo to look for later...my yard with like yellow bulge ice bubbling from the ground and what looks like garage sized puddles frozen on top of like 2-4" of glacial ice in later January 2014.  

The one thing I remember from 2014 that is sort of like this year...I couldn't figure out why with that -EPO and deep cold the events would just be wire to wire rain.  That's a big part of winter climo, getting the 3-6" front enders before it goes to rain.  But we had none of that.  Just -20F to 40F and rain in like 12-18 hours.  

Jan. 1-15, 2014 gave me 3.46" precip and 2.1" snow, with daily temp avg 23/0, which is 4° BN.  That's a VERY unlikely trifecta.  Rest of the month brought no more rain, nor much of anything else (just 0.31" precip) while keeipng the temps about the same.  Still my least snowy January of 21 here.  OTOH, we did very well in Feb/Mar, especially the latter with its 2 storms totaling 27" (35 in Farmington) and that winter ranks 2nd in SDDs.