Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill

It will nudge north the last 36 hours.  Bob I know you have said the last 72 and for a long time that was the rule but I've noticed the last 3/4 years, since about 2015, it's been the last 36 and that nudge north is more like 39-60 miles not 50-100 anymore.  But it's still real. If we are still sitting this close to that higher qpf stripe at 48 out I feel good. So far (other than some jv players) there hasn't been a south move to take us out of the game for that bump to place us into the max snowfall band. 

Usually the s streamers tic north....meaningless for me, but good luck..

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, i trust the cmc. Lol.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_16.png

I don't trust the gem either but I've seen that look before. go through some of the moderate snows in the KU book that nearly missed being a big storm and you see jacked up stuff like that with a lead wave outrunning the washing out upper energy.  March 99 had a storm that split like that.  There were others. 

11 minutes ago, Ji said:

i think the GFS is too light with the precip North esp with the location of the Low. Still..the blue is really close to us

gfs_apcpn_neus_18.png

It might be and it likely hasn't nailed down the ccb location either. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, its a great run. Same ccb idea as gfs and cmc. All 3 are similar except for crazy cmc putting random lows on the map. Other than that 0z is solid so far

one thing i like is that daytime (or midday) sunday (estimating here) looks to be when the better stuff arrives.  

12 minutes ago, Ji said:

i blame PSU for whipping out the CIPS stuff when he knew that 500s didnt support it

Ok...I said it wasn't likely but guidance is striping just south of us with .75 qpf and you adjust this look about 3-4 mb deeper and 50 miles NW and you have that analog snowfall map.  You really think that kind of adjustment isn't possible at 102 hours????  Likely no...possible yes  

IMG_8266.thumb.PNG.111facce9732db0158bd684d19272939.PNG

Just now, yoda said:

@Bob Chill and @psuhoffman

When would be the last time to use the ensembles like the GEFS or EPS?  Tonights 00z runs?

Yea, inside of 72 hours is where ops shine. But we all know if the snow or qpf mean is higher than the op then the op is out to lunch and we hug the hecs solutions. Even if there's just one hecs solution on the ens we still hug it and toss the op

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

@Bob Chill and @psuhoffman

When would be the last time to use the ensembles like the GEFS or EPS?  Tonights 00z runs?

The ens still outperform the op until about 72 hours. Since the meat of the storm is outside that tonight they are still relevant. After that they can be a red flag that maybe the op was a bad run if they strongly disagree but for details the ops become preferable staring tomorrow imo. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic