Norfolk (2 SW), CT: 63.84” (8)
Portland: 50.51” (28)
Providence: 60.32” (3)
Rochester, MA: 69.21” (2)
Storrs, CT: 62.46” (6)
Woonsocket, RI: 65.90” (1)
Worcester: 59.62” (5)
Worthington, MA: 68.47” (4)

Cocorahs is an excellent source of data, lacking historical perspective but more reliable than ASOS

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice disco John.  I notes the stratosphere the other day. I do wonder if we can constructively manifest itself down like we did last year. Also, we are seeing a standing wave develop near 135 E as a result of easterlies at 850. That's more Nina vs Nino. One think this should go away?

interesting...

I keep coming back to a notion; maybe the present era is warm saturated ( ... not GW per se..) in such away that the 'normal' gradient trigger points are sort of moved up the dial. 

Regardless of that hypothetical ... I don't think we are seeing the standard forcing that we typically do, by this time in an average winter, for this sort of stage in the ENSO game. I wonder if odd features like 135 E are what happens in voids.  Ha, it's like so horribly not anything, we're exposing the canvas.

40 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You know it’s bad when the upslope guys have ventured into their place of safety....Just PF, Jspin, and Alex. Tamarack gets an honorable mention since his pack never takes a hit. 

Not applicable now, but another honorable mention is Dryslot giving Euro updates. It's an easy way for me to know that I'm not getting snow. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have noted this multiple times, but KBOS really stands out low on the precip front. Almost every year. I don't see that as coincidence, but I'm not sure what it could be other than issues with instrumentation.  I would need to see other sites, but you have some samples not far from the city.

It really is suspicious when towns within 25 miles of the city show 10-15 inches more. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

You know it’s bad when the upslope guys have ventured into their place of safety....Just PF, Jspin, and Alex. Tamarack gets an honorable mention since his pack never takes a hit. 

lol I feel like it's gotten to the point that NO ONE wants to hear it's snowing here, ha.  

I know all want to read the BTV AFD about locally 8-10" in the mountains.

This thread is for the melts.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol I feel like it's gotten to the point that NO ONE wants to hear it's snowing here, ha.  

LOL. Most appreciate your enthusiasm. Hell I would too if I had that machine kick in behind fropas. Looks solid up there for warning amounts near the mtns.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just keep loading up Freak and all of NNE, we need the cover up there for selfish reasons down here

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

Select year-to-date precipitation and 2018’s rank among the wettest years:

Ashburnham, MA: 62.24” (4)
Blue Hill, MA: 64.44” (5)
Boston: 51.93” (15)
Bridgeport: 56.30” (6)
Brockton, MA: 62.85” (4)
Concord: 51.20” (6)
Danbury: 58.33” (13)
Franklin, MA: 66.46” (2)
Hartford: 59.18” (7)
Hyannis: 55.21” (5)
Manchester: 50.21” (10)
Milton, MA: 64.44” (5)
Nashua (2 NNW), NH: 54.92” (7)
Norfolk (2 SW), CT: 63.84” (8)
Portland: 50.51” (28)
Providence: 60.32” (3)
Rochester, MA: 69.21” (2)
Storrs, CT: 62.46” (6)
Woonsocket, RI: 65.90” (1)
Worcester: 59.62” (5)
Worthington, MA: 68.47” (4)

Awesome Don ! thank you and have a nice Christmas ! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

looks like our family trip will miss by 5 days.  

Oh well.  Packing the garbage bags and planning to surf Goat in the rain before everything freezes sunday.  Yeehaw!!!!!!!

25 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

It really is suspicious when towns within 25 miles of the city show 10-15 inches more. 

:huh:

I'm not sure what is suspicious about it at all. It's an automated reporting station that doesn't perform especially well in high winds and snow (BOS has both). Backyard Coop stations tend to have much lighter winds than the center of the Tarmac, and thus higher precipitation totals for the year. Even if you are only talking about a 10% undercatch at BOS, that could easily be 5+ inches over the course of the year.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL!!! Like PF, I don't want to be annoying. Some want to know what's doing up here because they have an interest, whether be skiing or sledding or just to live vicariously through others. Some just get annoyed. The NNE thread seems like a better place! I'm the type that roots for snow for everyone. I was in Tahoe and got back this morning, and I hate to see no snowcover so far North into NH on the drive up. Being obsessed with weather is a heartbreaking condition - and I certainly have it. It was a big part of my desire to move up here and a key reason for choosing this specific location vs somewhere like North Conway (business reasons aside). Even if we torch with cutters, just like we WILL torch this coming week, this area just gets so many more opportunities for snow even in crappy patterns that it never feels so bad. There always seems to be something around the corner. So I don't really like rubbing it in when it's snowing up here and everyone else has to deal with this hideous pattern. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm not sure what is suspicious about it at all. It's an automated reporting station that doesn't perform especially well in high winds and snow (BOS has both). Backyard Coop stations tend to have much lighter winds than the center of the Tarmac, and thus higher precipitation totals for the year. Even if you are only talking about a 10% undercatch at BOS, that could easily be 5+ inches over the course of the year.

I think that’s what he means. It’s a lot of undercatch. I only noticed this for Boston, but I’m sure it’s everywhere. 

21 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

How do they account for SWE without an observer, drifting snow, wind whipped snow. ASOS is great for wind and temps.

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I tend to agree with that explanation.  However, as I understand it, The NWS continues to operate an ASOS at the Blue Hill Observatory.  The winds there are comparable to those at Logan.  Wouldn't they have the same problem?

8 minutes ago, alex said:

LOL!!! Like PF, I don't want to be annoying. Some want to know what's doing up here because they have an interest, whether be skiing or sledding or just to live vicariously through others. Some just get annoyed. The NNE thread seems like a better place! I'm the type that roots for snow for everyone. I was in Tahoe and got back this morning, and I hate to see no snowcover so far North into NH on the drive up. Being obsessed with weather is a heartbreaking condition - and I certainly have it. It was a big part of my desire to move up here and a key reason for choosing this specific location vs somewhere like North Conway (business reasons aside). Even if we torch with cutters, just like we WILL torch this coming week, this area just gets so many more opportunities for snow even in crappy patterns that it never feels so bad. There always seems to be something around the corner. So I don't really like rubbing it in when it's snowing up here and everyone else has to deal with this hideous pattern. 

Nah you shouldn’t feel that way. People may joke, but be loud and proud. Hell I would. 

Just now, 78Blizzard said:

I tend to agree with that explanation.  However, as I understand it, The NWS continues to operate an ASOS at the Blue Hill Observatory.  The winds there are comparable to those at Logan.  Wouldn't they have the same problem?

The observatory isn’t really an ASOS as I understand it. They don’t have instrumentation to detect cigs and vis. Also, I’m pretty sure they may gather rain data from other gauges. I’m not 100% sure though.  The anemometers are on top of the observatory building. 

28 minutes ago, alex said:

You were snowing with clear skies last week!

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The observatory isn’t really an ASOS as I understand it. They don’t have instrumentation to detect cigs and vis. Also, I’m pretty sure they may gather rain data from other gauges. I’m not 100% sure though.  The anemometers are on top of the observatory building. 

18 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Yeah, they operate like MWN or a Coop does. They may even take some measurements manually, but they definitely use Davis vs. ASOS equipment.