Total Members
    Most Online
    NJRunner
    Newest Member
    NJRunner
Amos83

December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

3 minutes ago, Tarheel17 said:

That's understating what I have in Uptown and what I have seen elsewhere. Not a lot here, but still seems low vs. what I've seen and heard from others. Sorry about SE side of town though.

I thought Uptown and the South Park area picked up more than what’s showed-watched Brad P live feed last night and the ground was covered.

Just now, LKN WX said:

I thought Uptown and the South Park area picked up more than what’s showed-watched Brad P live feed last night and the ground was covered.

Switched to sleet and rain and melted.

This is about what I predicted for southern Wake.  We had a quick 1.5" of snow..  It is almost gone now.  Wet, slushy mess.  Was pretty to look at for a couple hours.

The Wake gradient strikes again!  Take it to the bank each storm!

5 minutes ago, JQPublic said:

6.5 in Cary. switched over to sleet. Saw reports of 8 in N. Raleigh near 540 and almost zilch in the south of town.

Thanks. I wonder what the official report will be.

Just now, FallsLake said:

Still snowing up my way but I think the transition is very close. I have around 9". Not too shabby. 

Crazy.  I knew there would be a gradient across Wake, but I didn't picture 7-8 inches.

18 minutes ago, southernskimmer said:

No power in Matthews. Greeeeeat

I'm waiting for this to happen here. I'm in Hemby Bridge. Lights have flickered a couple of times.

Just now, FallsLake said:

Still snowing up my way but I think the transition is very close. I have around 9". Not too shabby. 

I think we live pretty close to you and the transition came through here about 10 minutes ago so you should be seeing it soon.

2 minutes ago, Disc said:

2-3"/hr rates at my house easily. About 22 degrees.

I was just about to post myself. Temp dropped a degree from 26 to 25. Heaviest snow I’ve seen so far. Absolutely dumping right now. Just measured over 6” so far. I’d say 2” in the last hour alone.

Just now, WidreMann said:

About 5-7" here in southern Durham. Had changed to sleet, but the heavy precip is changing it back to snow. Sky has darkened...

Nice to see you’re finally getting destroyed down that way! 

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

Nice to see you’re finally getting destroyed down that way! 

I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up. Did not expect that the HRRR forecast would verify.

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Crazy.  I knew there would be a gradient across Wake, but I didn't picture 7-8 inches.

5 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

I think we live pretty close to you and the transition came through here about 10 minutes ago so you should be seeing it soon.

It's been a good ride. Still snow. 

I'd say about 7 inches in north Raleigh just a tiny bit north of 540 near Six Forks. Mostly sleet now. Drove wife to work at 6am in Durham and didn't make it home until almost 9 (albeit I had some fun on a few back roads heading back). Interstate was definitely rough this morning. Lots of accidents and saw one spin out right in front of us. People are maniacs sometimes trying to pass a line of cars at 60mph. In any event, thanks to all of you folks for helping make following weather so much fun. Enjoyed the lead up to this storm and everyone's commentary and input. Hope we get to do this a few more times over the next few months!

879799506_20181209_084406(1).thumb.jpg.e59688fb577e52edd12d1b22ce9a41ea.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCSNOW said:

Heavy snow, but has the ice sound to it. Notice back edge of steady precip is rrolling into sw NC and upstate. Happy  to have kept snow sounding during bulk of this one.

I just got in from a brief walk.  I measured between 7-8 inches.  I'm about 10 miles away from the sleet line and wanted to measure before the changeover.  As soon as I came back in the death band of snow started.  EXTREMELY HEAVY rates.  Looks like the forecasts were just right for this area.  However, just 30 miles south there is less than 1/2 inch of slop.  Extremely tight gradient.