Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

9 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

With a Quebec High, I say there can be and will be storms of the future and present that will surprise us.

That didn’t answer my question. You seem invested in the pattern for yourself over the next 10 days. From the Chatham COOP I see Nov 89 as the only storm over 6” through 12/10, going back to the 70s, and that had a colder airmass in place compared to anything modeled right now. Dec 82 was a biggie for you as well but it occurred 12/12-13. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That didn’t answer my question. You seem invested in the pattern for yourself over the next 10 days. From the Chatham COOP I see Nov 89 as the only storm over 6” through 12/10, going back to the 70s, and that had a colder airmass in place compared to anything modeled right now. Dec 82 was a biggie for you as well but it occurred 12/12-13. 

Yeah it’s very difficult to get snow this early greater than 6”. He should know that.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it’s very difficult to get snow this early greater than 6”. He should know that.

Flying into Logan 24 hours after the snow stopped in the 12/5/03 event that I got stranded in Dallas for.  Had to connect at LGA so the flight ran just off the SNE south coast and cut up the canal.  Left of the plane deep cover.  Right of the plane looking at the cape mostly bare ground.  It was striking.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Flying into Logan 24 hours after the snow stopped in the 12/5/03 event that I got stranded in Dallas for.  Had to connect at LGA so the flight ran just off the SNE south coast and cut up the canal.  Left of the plane deep cover.  Right of the plane looking at the cape mostly bare ground.  It was striking.

Wow that's cool. That was a beauty of a storm. I'm definitely intrigued in the 7-12 day stretch coming up. Normal caveats of course.

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I along with my late daughter her  boyfriend ( who ironically passed a couple of years after from an accident)shoveled well into the night then tobogganed down our hill road. Nothing was moving.  Special memory. I need to dig up the pics from that night. 20 inch falls weren't as common then.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

While normally I would agree with you about the odds, but the pattern supports a rather robust storm

It will still give you mostly rain though or low ratio advisory snow. Nothing wrong with advisory snow but don't expect 6+ that early. 

15 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

While normally I would agree with you about the odds, but the pattern supports a rather robust storm

I’m not talking about a robust storm. But you need to take a hard look at things and ask yourself if your expectations are too much. If you want to be taken seriously, you really should look hard at the situations and take our advice.

• Like 3

It's an active pattern...  I'll give y'all that. 

"robust storm" ?

Mmm, depends on what one thinks of as robust.   3-6" .... 4-8" okay. 

Gradient saturation isn't good - oh, it's sweet on paper to see all those lines on the charts, But when you see that the ambient geostrophic wind speed is concomitantly blowing at ludicrous speeds where you have the line densities ...And with too much balanced wind speed like that, S/W's tend to be fast movers ... limiting embedded cyclogenesis - albeit that doesn't mean none.

Thing is, ...that is all true, but doesn't mean your backyard can't lollypop its way to 12+ is a meso band with CG .. .I just mean your not getting hornet sings on the chart.  And the big dawg numbers are rarefied.

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Mood snows off and on since yesterday morning.  Even sticking to the driveway and walkway.   Wintry appeal

I feel good about next week.

I'm just down the road a piece along Rt poop and haven't seen a flake...  It's definitely raw'er 'n' holy hell though. 

17 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Why don't you guys think a robust storm is possible, am I the only one who thinks the pattern evolving for the 5th is tremendous?  It is the same pattern that developed the Blizzard of 05, again I think 6"+ is attainable.

I urge you to put the H5 pattern of 2005 next to the H5 pattern progged for 12/5 and see if they are indeed comparable.  I haven’t checked but it doesn’t strike me as similar from memory.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm just down the road a piece along Rt poop and haven't seen a flake...  It's definitely raw'er 'n' holy hell though. 

Yeah, at work in Leominster it was doing nothing, but around the Gardner/Westminster line started to see snow.   A slight coating here now that it is dark.   

1 hour ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Why don't you guys think a robust storm is possible, am I the only one who thinks the pattern evolving for the 5th is tremendous?  It is the same pattern that developed the Blizzard of 05, again I think 6"+ is attainable.

Pump the brakes James...it’s not the Dawn Awakening, or Jan of 05 either.  C’mon pal, you’re better than this...aren’t you??? 

See where this this goes over the next few days in the modeling, before you pop a neuron thinking you’re gonna get a significant snow event.  The odds are stacked way against you at this early date...that’s all people are saying.  

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Pump the brakes James...it’s not the Dawn Awakening, or Jan of 05 either.  C’mon pal, you’re better than this...aren’t you??? 

See where this this goes over the next few days in the modeling, before you pop a neuron thinking you’re gonna get a significant snow event.  The odds are stacked way against you at this early date...that’s all people are saying.  

Ok, I will pump the brakes.  Or try too.

• Like 1