• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

Here is the day before the Blizzard struck on Saturday, January 22nd, 2005 12z 500mb analysis.  H5 analysis of the GEFS mean shows a similarity in the H5 fields.  H5 ridging out west is further amplified than 05, the -AO vortex is in a similar position with a -NAO ridge, edging into central Greenland, the surface low should edge southwestward some in later guidance.

Jan 05 blizzard H5 pattern .gif

18z GEFS mean DEC 5th 6z.png

23 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Here is the day before the Blizzard struck on Saturday, January 22nd, 2005 12z 500mb analysis.  H5 analysis of the GEFS mean shows a similarity in the H5 fields.  H5 ridging out west is further amplified than 05, the -AO vortex is in a similar position with a -NAO ridge, edging into central Greenland, the surface low should edge southwestward some in later guidance.

Jan 05 blizzard H5 pattern .gif

18z GEFS mean DEC 5th 6z.png

Using late January as an analog for a storm in early Dec is not wise unless you take into account the antecedent conditions.  Your lower levels are likely to be cooked due to SST ins the 40s.  Your surface temps up to a couple thousand feet would be pretty similar in temp

45 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's climo. The water is in the U40s. You'll need a very cold airmass and verbatim I don't see it yet. At least for all snow. 

Boston water temps are about 48°F, too, so that doesn't help them either.  But I noticed that is the coldest SST for this date in over 10 years, at least.

6 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Boston water temps are about 48°F, too, so that doesn't help them either.  But I noticed that is the coldest SST for this date in over 10 years, at least.

But only an easterly wind would hurt Boston whereby winds from just about every direction hurt the Cape.  You need a pretty cold system in early December to overcome background conditions.

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

But only an easterly wind would hurt Boston whereby winds from just about every direction hurt the Cape.  You need a pretty cold system in early December to overcome background conditions.

I'm getting hurt by 36F SSTs lol. (System already has marginal temperatures.) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

CQX hit 31F during the peak of Jan 05 too. I remember BOS dropping 10F in an hour during the height of it once the winds backed enough to the N to get on the other side of the coastal front.

BOS had a low of -2 but it was 28 at the height.  James isn’t seeing - next week...

And I'll just add that at d6-7, even with some of the features being vaguely similar the last thing I would do is leap to comparing it to Jan 05. You can probably find a few progs each season where if you squint enough with your rose colored glasses on you can see an analog of the storm of your dreams. I think it's killing James seeing everyone getting so much snow already, but the truth is this kind of run is exceptional and early even for NNE. Just because we're scoring up here it doesn't change climo now and going forward. When forecasting you have to put the brain ahead of the heart.

Fair enough, I was checking the 850mb temps behind the storm, I think once it gets past 70W longitude the storm will create a colder temp scenario for Cape Cod, where the rain could change back to snows, like the 18z GFS showed even with a benchmark track.  Also the SSTs northeast of CHH are cooling at a more steady rate lately, so by the beginning of January we could see colder storms by nature of the cooler SSTs.  Anything other than a NE to NW wind, is bad for snow occurring, like winds out of the direction of East, Southeast, South and Southwest.  Any form of northerly winds can cool the column at a good rate, especially if the heaviest precipitation occurs at nighttime over the Cape and Islands, it will be similar nature to the 13th of March this last winter.

I suspect its going to be one or the other....either they phase and its a major storm mid week, or the n stream may incite something itself closer to the next weekend, which looks more likely on the EURO. Looks like Tips compressed geopotential medium may be an issue, though...shred city.

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I suspect its going to be one or the other....either they phase and its a major storm mid week, or the n stream may incite something itself closer to the next weekend, which looks more likely on the EURO. Looks like Tips compressed geopotential medium may be an issue, though...shred city.

Yeah, models are having a tough time right now.