• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

The first system next week could easily be a miss...we see the issues with it now becoming evident.  Hopefully things come together for a decent event...that'd be a nice thing for the area.  But as Will and others have pointed out...this has some work to do.   Let's see how modeling goes today...hopefully moves in a more positive direction..

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

IF we want to maximize Dec 5th potential, root for a slower/stronger system ejecting out of the southwest between D4/5....it will allow the system ahead of it to clear out and give it a little more room to amplify.

Slower ejection reduces timing issue relative to PV lobe, as well...but that is a long shot.

Here's a comparison of the 00z Euro and the 00z GGEM....the GGEM was really amped and had a system that actually brought ptype issues to southern areas while the Euro was basically a whiff, maybe a few flurries or light snow to the Cape. But you can see the big differences out in the middle of the country and rockies....deeper and slower system out there on the GGEM versus the Euro.

Nov29_00zEuroGGEMcompare.gif

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Here's a comparison of the 00z Euro and the 00z GGEM....the GGEM was really amped and had a system that actually brought ptype issues to southern areas while the Euro was basically a whiff, maybe a few flurries or light snow to the Cape. But you can see the big differences out in the middle of the country and rockies....deeper and slower system out there on the GGEM versus the Euro.

Nov29_00zEuroGGEMcompare.gif

Bingo and that’s what some of the snowier members show. Sometimes you do get these improvements, but it could see shred and wait until offshore to get together. 

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It says Newfoundland though...where is he?  Newfoundland or Nova Scotia?  Did he used to be on American Wx?

Eddie goes wayyyyyy back. WWBB, EUSWX, etc. From Philly, but got his degree at Plymouth. Like many, was once a weenie on the forums, but became a knowledgeable met.

Brian country may want to consider a > negligible icing scenario between 65 and 80 hours.   And I'm not sure how far S in CNE that may extend too, as even in the higher resolution models, if an ageo. trajectory kicks in and has a llv cold sourcing that will tend to terminate premature (latitude) in the models for any valley regions/and/or E of the ridge lines.   

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Brian country may want to consider a > negligible icing scenario between 65 and 80 hours.   And I'm not sure how far S in CNE that may extend too, as even in the higher resolution models, if an ageo. trajectory kicks in and has a llv cold sourcing that will tend to terminate premature (latitude) in the models for any valley regions/and/or E of the ridge lines.   

NAM (and Euro hints too) shows a mesolow going right by us out ahead of the main primary in the lakes...prob too warm for much ice in SNE...but any thought of 50s on Sunday is completely wiped out in that look....30s/low 40s and even maybe falling temps around BOS with the cold tuck.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

NAM (and Euro hints too) shows a mesolow going right by us out ahead of the main primary in the lakes...prob too warm for much ice in SNE...but any thought of 50s on Sunday is completely wiped out in that look....30s/low 40s and even maybe falling temps around BOS with the cold tuck.

yup... llv slosh back as the initial warm advection momentum renders off to the E... pulling rotted polar right back down...  Question is, ...is it 41, 37, 32.1, or 31 type air.  Pick one but ...yeah, could/probably would be the 37-41 during 'tuck' after maybe having ticked 43 ... blah blah welcome home. 

As the whole baggage lifts out though we may return flow Monday and be rather balmy comparatively prior to deeper CAA.   

Agreed... good day for football and drape closing on Sunday for SNE but there is time of course...just speculative.  

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Apparently 

Yeah. This is from our climate consultant at the office. 

My parents live on the Bras d’Or Lakes about a mile from the Seal Island Bridge (where Wood has an RWIS station). They sent me the attached pictures this morning of the storm surge and related flooding and damage they are currently experiencing. The winds are northeasterly, meaning they are funneling down through from the open ocean, resulting in a direct hit on their property.

The water is about 3-4 feet above the high-water mark – the highest we have ever seen it since our family bought the property in the 1960’s. It has washed out cribbing along the shore that my dad and I installed when I was 12yo (not yesterday but it’s held up pretty well until now). We have been reinforcing the shoreline with large granite boulders over the past few years, which seem to be holding up, but a lot of the shoreline is still exposed and inundated about 15-20 feet inland (more in some places). And the winds are expected to continue at least throughout the day.

backbeach.jpg

boatlaunch.jpg

potatopatch.jpg

cribbing.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Yeah. This is from our client consultant at the office. 

My parents live on the Bras d’Or Lakes about a mile from the Seal Island Bridge (where Wood has an RWIS station). They sent me the attached pictures this morning of the storm surge and related flooding and damage they are currently experiencing. The winds are northeasterly, meaning they are funneling down through from the open ocean, resulting in a direct hit on their property.

The water is about 3-4 feet above the high-water mark – the highest we have ever seen it since our family bought the property in the 1960’s. It has washed out cribbing along the shore that my dad and I installed when I was 12yo (not yesterday but it’s held up pretty well until now). We have been reinforcing the shoreline with large granite boulders over the past few years, which seem to be holding up, but a lot of the shoreline is still exposed and inundated about 15-20 feet inland (more in some places). And the winds are expected to continue at least throughout the day.

backbeach.jpg

boatlaunch.jpg

potatopatch.jpg

cribbing.jpg

Damn

21 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Needless to say models are struggling in this timeframe.  Stay tuned and remember the date...

Yup ...in short, exactly. 

A slightly longer version...Will touched on this earlier but there is a lot of negative wave interference in the D 3.5 to D8 time range.   It could certainly play out that way... however, just note (for the general reader) these impulses are currently being sampled outside of the physical sounding grid - Sat and other extrapolation/interpretive methods are very good but they don't tell the truth necessarily; a fact we sometimes see play out when events "get lost" only to come back.   Sampling is a bit of a separate issue...the wave spacing could be handled better with better sampling (perhaps.) .

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Yeah. This is from our climate consultant at the office. 

The hyperbolic commentary is cute in that ... how does wind "funnel" across "open ocean"  - nice. 

But yeah, almost scary lookin' ... cold deathly N. Atlantic November witch water engulfing the land...