Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Was just looking at GEFS. Certainly not a slam dunk Chicago cutter like I expected. Cluster of weaker solutions that go south of us it looks like. Way out there, but good support for something around the 9th also, but looks suppressed. 

Certainly going to be cold from the 5th through the 12th or so. 

AO is also solidly negative for the first 11 days of the month. 

Isn't that the AO predictor that Bob is always talking about?

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m on mobile so I can’t show pictures easily, but look at the end of the GEFS and you can sort of see how we don’t get stuck in some sort of endless torch from hell. The features to watch are the lobe of the TPV near Kamchatka (which has only just started showing up on the GEFS at least) and the TPV that moves into western AK.  They drive the Aleutian ridge down to nothing and you see them starting to want to merge at the very end. IF the TPV over AK continues rotating westward and combines with the Kamchatka one, then suddenly that’s our new aleutian low, which drives the PNA back up and sends a trough back to us. 

Certainly possible. It's not a god awful look. The AO continues to want to be favorable. Keep that and sooner or later you would think things will line up.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Isn't that the AO predictor that Bob is always talking about?

Sort of. We need -1.25 monthly mean or lower for it to be significant. Data supports an 75%+/- chance at above normal snowfall and blocking to persist through Feb. The years that broke the wrong was had a terrible Pac though so it's not a slam dunk but certainly a good sign seeing a persistent -AO right now. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Sort of. We need -1.25 monthly mean or lower for it to be significant. Data supports an 75%+/- chance at above normal snowfall and blocking to persist through Feb. The years that broke the wrong was had a terrible Pac though so it's not a slam dunk but certainly a good sign seeing a persistent -AO right now. 

Pretty clear phase change in the AO since around Oct 22. No sign that changes really in the next 14 days. Fingers crossed it continues.

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Pretty clear phase change in the AO since around Oct 22. No sign that changes really in the next 14 days. Fingers crossed it continues.

I'm pretty optimistic. I'll have to dig through the spreadsheets to get hard #s but going off memory, a strong blocking event in late Nov or early Dec is the more common "kickoff" to a -AO winter. 

12z GEFS shows a way to avoid a shutout pattern while the pac goes to hell. Decent setup for confluence and high pressure to the north late in the panels. Won't be uber cold if that type of look verifies but just having a typical/marginal HP in a good spot can work in December. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, I was trying to make this point earlier. Although the PAC isn't great, we don't have the Atlantic contributing to a catastrophe. AO actually looks good IMO through the period. I really do think we're seeing the reshuffle/relaxation before we really see the Nino atmospheric response that would propel us into extended wintry periods in early 2019. 

If the PAC were flipping and we were staring down a huge shift in the Atlantic and a stable PV, I'd be worried. But that's not what I'm seeing so I have zero concerns whatsoever. 

Well none other than a brown Christmas, but at this point I'm not really into looking further than two weeks. 

I'll be starting my two week outlooks soon. Can't wait :) 

Agree.

People let the lack of snow on Xmas (which happens 90%+) effect their opinion of winter way too much early in the season. Same for the whole month since people want snow around the holidays but our climo says that's always a long shot. 

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Agree.

People let the lack of snow on Xmas (which happens 90%+) effect their opinion of winter way too much early in the season. Same for the whole month since people want snow around the holidays but our climo says that's always a long shot. 

Euro control on the weeklies yesterday has a white Christmas Eve and Day. 

Ijxiu3g.jpg

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro control on the weeklies yesterday has a white Christmas Eve and Day. 

Ijxiu3g.jpg

I'll consider this winter a rousing success if we get a solid warning criteria event regionwide for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.  I'll gladly sacrifice the rest of winter for a 6" - 10" event that sticks around until the 28th or so.  It's so rare in these parts that it would make my criteria as an anomalous event.

• Like 2

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

I'll consider this winter a rousing success if we get a solid warning criteria event regionwide for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.  I'll gladly sacrifice the rest of winter for a 6" - 10" event that sticks around until the 28th or so.  It's so rare in these parts that it would make my criteria as an anomalous event.

I don't think you're going to get many takers on this one my friend lol

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Sorry, I'm going to have to decline

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Hard pass

20 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Agree.  100%.

44 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.RVmHgbSbKeRt_FMYzpaakgHaIR%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I’d punt 1-15 Dec and March 15th onward for that scenario.  The whole winter is a tough sell however.  

Just now, stormtracker said:

Thanks for telling us it's all the way out and no actual information or confirmation of WinterWxluvr's question.

Looking at the ensembles on TT and they have some promise for the Dec 8-10 time frame. WEatherbell is starting to throw out panels now so should get a better idea when post day 10 comes up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Looking at the ensembles on TT and they have some promise for the Dec 8-10 time frame. WEatherbell is starting to throw out panels now so should get a better idea when post day 10 comes up.

I dunno.  Day 10 on the Euro looks like a fat Lakes Cutter.   Hopefully the Ensembles are vastly different.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic