Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

32 minutes ago, Amped said:

Not impressed with the last several Op runs. The Pacific isn't cooperating. And teleconnections don't work as well this early in the season.

Enjoy the unseasonably cold Thanksgiving, then the mild rain this weekend, followed by fair and seasonably chilly weather next week. It's fall.

It probably won't snow in the next 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frd said:

Funny thing is, we could beat climo snowfall in just a short period of time.

An active cold and stormy period later in the season could deliver several big hitters. 

I know many were thinking December would deliver, and it may, but I feel we need to temper expectations. 

Almost wondering whether the best part of the month, December that is , happens later,  well after December 5th. 

Interesting to note the extreme cold forecasted to deepen and pool over Siberia. A few years back there was talk of a so called bath tub slosh effect. 

Where as some mets mention this pattern of extreme cold up there would move South slosh like a bath tub, so seeing that you could expect a cold air outbreak in our area some 3 weeks later.  Speculation at this point. 

Believe it was Bastardi that coined the bathtub effect a few years back and that was in reference to an EPO ridge/+PNA setting up and delivering that cold by means of cross polar flow. When I see the tendency for high latitude blocking now I would think maybe the odds favor that scenario playing out here as well? So maybe a mid to late December cold outbreak? 

3 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

You can feel the panic in some already...classic

A lot of the analogs, including the good ones, didn't really get going in terms of snowfall until January. I'm just glad we are quickly eliminating some of the total dud analogs by having an early season snowfall and a lack of a raging positive AO. Anything we get in terms of snow before xmas is always bonus to me. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Believe it was Bastardi that coined the bathtub effect a few years back and that was in reference to an EPO ridge/+PNA setting up and delivering that cold by means of cross polar flow. When I see the tendency for high latitude blocking now I would think maybe the odds favor that scenario playing out here as well? So maybe a mid to late December cold outbreak? 

I’m pretty sure the “bathtub effect” kicks in when there’s a +AO, raging Pacific firehose, and uber-flexed WAR.

Drop a toaster in the bathtub.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I’m pretty sure the “bathtub effect” kicks in when there’s a +AO, raging Pacific firehose, and uber-flexed WAR.

Drop a toaster in the bathtub.

Maybe I am mis-remembering then. Could have sworn the first time I heard the phrase was Bastardi some 15-20 years ago when he was promising us Vodka Cold. And he was referencing it to sloshing over the pole to our side of the globe. Tried to pull up some of his old Accuweather blogs but had no luck. But I did find another reference of the bathtub effect on twitter by Bastardi https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/805817012480049152/photo/1 and the 500 mb he throws up has strong ridging into Alaska with a cross polar flow from Russia into the CONUS. Lacking a +PNA so we see it dumping into the west initially.

crosspolar.gif.646aa5c49de09f88e2836ee0cfec05ae.gif

Imo the pattern the next 15 days looks "fine". The problem is fine doesn't cut November 23-dec 7th. We need damn near perfect. There are some minor flaws. Transient ridging at times. Disconnect between nao and epo. PAC jet crashing in at the wrong time. But even given that we could luck into a threat. There are enough hits in the ensembles to say it's not a shutout no shot pattern. There is a risk of a wave around nov 30th behind the would up system that fujiwaras to our north. It's getting squashed on the guidance now but it's there. It could turn into a minor event of the confluence relaxes some. After that I wouldn't be shocked to see some front end ice or snow threat evolve for the system that likely will cut in early December. Then after that there are a couple waves in the long range that have a small shot if the timing is right.  

It's looking likely we don't score anything significant in the forseeable future. But it's not impossible. And the forseeable future only takes us into early December. And the minor flaws making it difficult now would be easier to overcome in mid winter. We are not seeing any long term propensity for ridging in the east. If anything warm ups are temporary with troughinh wanting to come back quickly. The mjo looks to by cycling exactly how we want.  The PV keeps getting beat around everytime it tries to consolidate. We are now seeing hints of the nao going negative again toward day 15.   I still love what I'm seeing in a long term view. 

It's November 22. We're not staring at weeks on end of 65 degrees like most years!  Even in a good nino year snow before January is hit or miss. We had nothing before January in 1965, 1977, and 1987 and all 3 went on to be blockbuster winters. In 1963 and 2009 it didn't get snowy until right before xmas not early December. And 2009/10 if that one storm had gone wrong...bad timing or suppression then we wouldn't have gotten snowy until late January and February.   

Until I see an actual reason to worry I'll take comfort in a decent pattern that later in winter would likely produce some results and just be patient. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic