• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2018-19 Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowlover2

Well, the arctic outbreak disappeared on the 12z FV3.  You just gotta laugh.  Sure, it was 11-14 days out, but it was also showing up strongly on EPS ensembles over the past few days.  It looks like the PV doesn't come as far south as modeled before...and it also goes more into New England instead of the Midwest.

I guess it may come back...but, in the meantime, what happened??  

5 minutes ago, hlcater said:

The 18z GFS has a pretty extreme upcoming 8 days for those along/north of I70. With widespread 20+ inch totals between I90 and I80. 3 separate big systems.

what a fun run that was/is, lol. temps below 10 with that storm 180ish. active pattern coming up. hopefully it doesn't shit the bed 

Just now, IllinoisWedges said:

what a fun run that was/is, lol. temps below 10 with that storm 180ish. active pattern coming up. hopefully it doesn't shit the bed 

I've never seen snow in the single digits, let alone a significant snowstorm like that run shows. Imma gonna go with a no on that particular setup. There may be a storm, but not with temps at 5 degrees above. Though the modeled baroclinic zone means business. Goes from 40 degrees to single digits in 150 miles.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hlcater said:

I've never seen snow in the single digits, let alone a significant snowstorm like that run shows. Imma gonna go with a no on that particular setup. There may be a storm, but not with temps at 5 degrees above. Though the modeled baroclinic zone means business. Goes from 40 degrees to single digits in 150 miles.

Stuff that legends are made of...

Now that the winners and losers have been ferreted out for the weekend storm (big L here), I glanced ahead. The GFS looks like Josh's dream as it depicts a clipper train from hour 150 right through the end of the run. Guess I'll once again be nickle and diming my way toward climo snowfall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Next Monday looks fairly interesting for (atm) northern sections of the subforum...

LOT mentions this in their most recent AFD

most global guidance does indicate a stronger
clipper/northern Pacific hybrid system cutting into the Upper
Midwest/Great Lakes region, which would steer a tighter
baroclinic zone and stronger forcing back over the area for
possibly a more robust snow maker somewhere in the region.
Obviously at nearly a week out in this active pattern, confidence
is low at this point.
  • Like 2