• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2018-19 Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowlover2

FWIW, the 12z FV3 is going crazy again with an arctic outbreak toward the end of January. 

Besides the fact that it's 12-16 days out, and has been pushed back in time a bit relative to a few days ago...there is tremendous cold sitting in southern Canada that could be tapped eventually.  Ideally, we would need a strong storm tracking NNE through the GL/OV and/or a potent clipper to drag down the cold air. Hopefully it will happen at some point.

Even if the PV does come down for a visit, even I would be forced to admit that the temps shown on the FV3 are overdone.  :ph34r:

For posterity:

fv3p_T2m_us_57.png

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

FWIW, the 12z FV3 is going crazy again with an arctic outbreak toward the end of January. 

Besides the fact that it's 12-16 days out, and has been pushed back in time a bit relative to a few days ago...there is tremendous cold sitting in southern Canada that could be tapped eventually.  Ideally, we would need a strong storm tracking NNE through the GL/OV and/or a potent clipper to drag down the cold air. Hopefully it will happen at some point.

Even if the PV does come down for a visit, even I would be forced to admit that the temps shown on the FV3 are overdone.  :ph34r:

For posterity:

That is save worthy though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

That is save worthy though.

Yeah, definitely...and then the 18z FV3 outdoes it somehow, at least for the upper midwest.  There is a 462 dm thickness contour in southern Canada at hours 306 and 318.  To put this in perspective: you very rarely see 474 thicknesses...and I may have seen a 468 once in the past 10-15 years...but I can't ever remember seeing 462.  This is shocking cold...even for a model prog 13 days out. 

Here is another image for the archives.  -56 in Ontario and -49 just north of the MN arrowhead.  

image.thumb.png.94e89676df3bfbe8416e5e6235909fe9.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=20fe2b78d4e66dff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Yeah, definitely...and then the 18z FV3 outdoes it somehow, at least for the upper midwest.  There is a 462 dm thickness contour in southern Canada at hours 306 and 318.  To put this in perspective: you very rarely see 474 thicknesses...and I may have seen a 468 once in the past 10-15 years...but I can't ever remember seeing 462.  This is shocking cold...even for a model prog 13 days out. 

Here is another image for the archives.  -56 in Ontario and -49 just north of the MN arrowhead.  

image.thumb.png.94e89676df3bfbe8416e5e6235909fe9.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=20fe2b78d4e66dff

It looks like 850 mb temps get close to -50C in the core of that airmass north of the border.  That is the height of absurdity.  I mean, it has to modify at least a little, right?  -40C has made it into the US on rare occasions though.

Here's a forecast sounding I pulled from southern Canada.  The skew-t can't even contain the cold.

gfs_fv3_2019011418_336_50_75--90_75.thumb.png.b83f1779de6979119e16e7ab62804b98.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

The new run of the Euro weeklies is basically like 2014, wire to wire and averaged out, the core of the coldest anomalies centered over the central and western sub.

Living E of the Rockies now, please no.

Also looking at how long the cold lasted and the futility of that subsequent severe season, please no.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

positively toasty in The Mitt. Just don't add wind like 6-Jan-14 :shiver:

Living E of the Rockies now, please no.

Also looking at how long the cold lasted and the futility of that subsequent severe season, please no.

It appears that the long expected effects from the downwelling of the SSW will be coming, so the sort of output on the weeklies is not unexpected. From what I've read both last March and April were significantly affected by the Feb 2018 SSW.

Can't expect the same sort of behavior this time, but perhaps Feb and part of March and then things break.

I guess the hope would be that with everything shifted a month earlier, would give time to get back into a better pattern earlier, as opposed to last March and April both being toast and then quickly flipping to summer in May. I am with you on not wanting this to last deep into spring.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The 12z GFS has the longest duration single snow event I've ever seen modeled here next week.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

That system on the GFS next week has snow in Chicago for 2 3/4 days. 15-20” that run.

Would put back to back big dogs in play.

Just for fun, 12z GFS 10 day total snowfall (kuchera). Congrats Hoosier...

348935171_ScreenShot2019-01-15at10_57_13AM.thumb.png.61dd94fbff7343e8ec7a8061e2fe88a7.png 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Just for fun, 12z GFS 10 day total snowfall (kuchera). Congrats Hoosier...

348935171_ScreenShot2019-01-15at10_57_13AM.thumb.png.61dd94fbff7343e8ec7a8061e2fe88a7.png 

That's with the first system "only" dropping about 8".  Good stuff.

I've been thinking about what the max snowfall could be over the next 10 days in this area if everything pans out.  Not even talking about likely, just possible.  :lol:

52 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

ECMWF, like the GfS, with another big dog for the following system.

24”+ across the Chicago area.

FWIW...over the past few days, HM has been harping on a pattern that could be conducive to a Midwest blizzard around this timeframe. Still way out there, but will be curious to see his thoughts.