Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

32 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It was cold for the entire week in April 1982 and we had a smaller snow event at the end of the week also.

The Jan 82 storm caused a plane to go down in the Potomac.

I recall the April of 82 storm as being rather extraordinary, in many different ways, but disappearing fast.   

I don’t recall the Jan of 82 storm as being bad on LI.  I could very well be wrong 

14 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I live .5 miles west of Logan Airport in East Boston. The Logan measurement was what was actually measured and not a typo but it was a joke. I had about 1.5"-2.0" at my place. From what I've been told, the person who does the official measurement for Logan is located in Winthrop, MA which is east of Logan Airport and right on the ocean. They might have in fact on measured 0.1 at their place in Winthrop but areas JUST east of there got a lot more than 0.1" including Downtown Boston. The actual city probably got around 2" while areas a few miles west got a lot more. Unfortunately, as far as records go, it goes down as 0.1" for that storm

Seems he'd be skewing the records for his location if he took a measurement from downtown Boston instead because they got more snow.  I think your beef is with the location for a record representing Boston, not with the quality of measurement at that location.

Downtown Boston gets more snow than Winthrop; most of us understand that.

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Cold winters like that will probably never happen again. Occasionally we can get highly anomalous cold months (Feb 2015) and even cold winters like 13/14 & 14/15 but those are the exceptions. 

I think snowfall will average AN for another decade or so, but then the warming climate will quickly overwhelm us and drastically reduce our averages. 

Keep drinking the kool-aid. LOL. Between the naturally cooling cycle we are entering combined with an extremely quiet sunspot minimum, I'm confident that will overwhelm the 1 extra molecule of CO2 added per 10k molecules of air that is forecast to lead to our planetary demise. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, West Mtn NY said:

Keep drinking the kool-aid. LOL. Between the naturally cooling cycle we are entering combined with an extremely quiet sunspot minimum, I'm confident that will overwhelm the 1 extra molecule of CO2 added per 10k molecules of air that is forecast to lead to our planetary demise. 

Um...what cooling cycle? The temperatures for the past few years have been anything but cool.

This summer alone set records for highest and most sustained dews with record warm minimums.

3 hours ago, Rjay said:

So you're going to complain either way?   I'm shocked... :rolleyes:

Lol, he's not lying though.  They doused the roads here too.  Just went out to get gas and the wetness on the roads combined with the salt to create a brine solution that coated the car.

The overcompensation is ridiculous, but we knew it was coming.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Lol, he's not lying though.  They doused the roads here too.  Just went out to get gas and the wetness on the roads combined with the salt to create a brine solution that coated the car.

The overcompensation is ridiculous, but we knew it was coming.

It's like they couldn't tackle the big snowstorm when it came so they picked a little flurry burst to lay down salt for.  It's like they got beat up by the big guy and are now picking on the little kid that just happened to walk by to make themselves seem strong.

I have a feeling they're going to be proactive for the rest of the snow season.  Regardless of the forecast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Seems he'd be skewing the records for his location if he took a measurement from downtown Boston instead because they got more snow.  I think your beef is with the location for a record representing Boston, not with the quality of measurement at that location.

Downtown Boston gets more snow than Winthrop; most of us understand that.

At the same time, our local area airports dont have a great track record with snowfall measurements either lol.

A snowstorm where JFK measured half an inch comes to mind, where the measurement was made less than halfway through the snowstorm and we had snow plows out and around 4" of snow.

4 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

I recall the April of 82 storm as being rather extraordinary, in many different ways, but disappearing fast.   

I don’t recall the Jan of 82 storm as being bad on LI.  I could very well be wrong 

Those were the only two events of note that year,

The 80s were characterized by having very cold Januarys but below average snowfall.  We would have cold and dry interrupted by mild and wet, rinse and repeat.  The storms were never timed well with the arctic shots unless it was like a 2-4" event.   The only 12+ snowstorm was Feb 1983.  2 feet of snow with that one here on the south shore.

The April 1982 storm was historic for intensity and also for historic April cold with temps in the upper teens during and after the storm.

It's not well remembered but we actually went below zero on Christmas 1980 with a dusting of snow.  Below zero temps in December are very rare in the modern era.  Jan 1985 on Reagan's inauguration day was the coldest day I've ever experienced here with a low of -2 and a high of 7 degrees.  Jan 1994 we got to -2 also but made it to 10 as a high.

Next 8 days averaging 38degs., or 6degs. BN.

Month to date is -2.3[46.9].     Should be -3.3[44.5] by the 30th.

Approaching 6am it is 21.5 here.   Will update.     21.0 at 6am.   20.8 at 6:30am.  Looks like 20.3 near 8am is my bottom for this morning 

Preliminary record-breaking and record-tying low temperatures for November 22:

Albany: 8° (old record: 9°, 1969)
Bangor: 5° (old record: 11°, 1978)
Binghamton: 7° (old record: 10°, 1989)
Bridgeport: 18° (tied record set in 1987)
Danbury: 15° (old record: 16°, 1969)
Hartford: 11° (old record: 14°, 1969)
Manchester: 9° (old record: 12°, 1969)
Mount Washington: -26° (old record: -11° set in 1969 and tied in 1987) ***Broke November Record (old monthly record: -20°, 11/30/1958)***
New Haven: 19° (old record: 20°, 1969)
New York City-JFK: 20° (tied record set in 1987)
New York City-LGA: 21° (tied record set in 1987)
Newark: 19° (tied record set in 1987)
Portland: 6° (old record: 11°, 1888)
Providence: 15° (old record: 16° set in 1969 and tied in 1987)
Saranac Lake: -4° (old record: -2° set in 1972 and tied in 1987)
Scranton: 13° (old record: 15° set in 1969 and tied in 1987 and 2014)
White Plains: 17° (old record: 18° set in 1972 and tied in 1987)
Worcester: 7° (old record: 11°, 1987)

Note: Some of these figures could be challenged or broken prior to midnight should radiational cooling develop as winds diminish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Those were the only two events of note that year,

The 80s were characterized by having very cold Januarys but below average snowfall.  We would have cold and dry interrupted by mild and wet, rinse and repeat.  The storms were never timed well with the arctic shots unless it was like a 2-4" event.   The only 12+ snowstorm was Feb 1983.  2 feet of snow with that one here on the south shore.

The April 1982 storm was historic for intensity and also for historic April cold with temps in the upper teens during and after the storm.

It's not well remembered but we actually went below zero on Christmas 1980 with a dusting of snow.  Below zero temps in December are very rare in the modern era.  Jan 1985 on Reagan's inauguration day was the coldest day I've ever experienced here with a low of -2 and a high of 7 degrees.  Jan 1994 we got to -2 also but made it to 10 as a high.

I remember the April of 82 storm because of the bright sun and the melting occurring the next day-I don’t recall lots of cold beyond. The feb of 83 was incredible.  I do recall some cold temps—-Reagan’s inauguration was bitter-a few blasts of arctic cold but mostly dry and cold as a whole during the decade.   2-4 inches seemed as like it was our range on LI-very rarely exceeeding it.   Not at all like today where an 8+ inch event is normal 

10 minutes ago, uncle W said:

NYC was 19 degrees this morning...coldest since the 18 degrees on 11/21/1987...

Good enough for the 9th coldest November temperature in NYC.

Top 10 coldest November minimums  in NYC...most recent years listed for each temperature

#1.....5.....1875

#2....12....1932

#3....13....1880

#4....14....1891

#5....15....1930

#6....16....1955

#7....17....1976

#8....18....1987

#9....19....2018

#10...20...1967

• Like 2