Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

4 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

What is the cause of this radical change?

warmer SST offshore causing storms that would ordinarily pass well offshore to come closer to the coast and big increase in 3+" liquid storms all across the continent with much higher levels of moisture than what we had back in the 70s and 80s.

Also much slower moving storms with record levels of blocking in various parts of the hemisphere.

22 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

What I was trying to say was that it seems to me as though you have been on a bit of a hot streak seeing snowstorms before they materialize and when others discount the possibility---And I hope this doesn't continue this year---technically its not winter, I am aware, how about things changing back to a warm bias?

Warm bias for what? Are you trolling or not even looking at the pattern ahead?

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

warmer SST offshore causing storms that would ordinarily pass well offshore to come closer to the coast and big increase in 3+" liquid storms all across the continent with much higher levels of moisture than what we had back in the 70s and 80s.

Also much slower moving storms with record levels of blocking in various parts of the hemisphere.

Thank you for the explanation.  I appreciate it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

What has caused the warmer SST?  Sorry if the question is basic

Basically a product of the warm AMO.   Oddly enough we are near the end of it and some even argue out of it now but the SST peak definitely occurred at the back end of it.  We were probably in the meat of the warm AMO from about 2002-2008 or so 

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Basically a product of the warm AMO.   Oddly enough we are near the end of it and some even argue out of it now but the SST peak definitely occurred at the back end of it.  We were probably in the meat of the warm AMO from about 2002-2008 or so 

Would I be incorrect in interpreting that statement to mean we may be going back to winters of less snow and less severe cold?

1 minute ago, West Mtn NY said:

Less snow and more cold. I don't know how you think winters have been severe cold in recent memory. Severe cold winters were in the 1970's

Well my memory is not perfect—I remember the 70’s as cold, but unremarkably so.  The 80’s were a cakewalk-save for February of 1983.   Storms always missed Long Island-you had to go north and west to see appreciable snow.  

Just now, 495weatherguy said:

Well my memory is not perfect—I remember the 70’s as cold, but unremarkably so.  The 80’s were a cakewalk-save for February of 1983.   Storms always missed Long Island-you had to go north and west to see appreciable snow.  

Jan 87 had a big event that crippled parts of NJ, not sure how it played out out your way. And 82 had the Jan storm and the freak April blizzard.Then really nothing special from 88-93. I remember the Newark Star Ledger with a headline in 91, What happened to snowstorms?

Just now, 495weatherguy said:

And the cold recently may not be severe-I’m just getting older 

I think that makes a difference. It got cold in Oct this year and I got up to go fishing a few times and changed my mind. WHen younger I routinely fished most of the winter, of course there were a lot more fish around back then and it didn't cost a fortune. A lot harder to brave the cold at sea when you will drowning bait most of the day.

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Jan 87 had a big event that crippled parts of NJ, not sure how it played out out your way. And 82 had the Jan storm and the freak April blizzard.Then really nothing special from 88-93. I remember the Newark Star Ledger with a headline in 91, What happened to snowstorms?

I remember April 82-but it started to melt the very next day.  I don’t recall the Jan of 82 storm. I don’t remember anything in 87.  Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.  

I do remember storms in 77/78, around first week of February that were big on LI-Feb 83 and then really nothing remarkable until 95/96.  We were snow deprived.  

I must’ve missed a lot, but the frequency of 8 plus inch storms has increased a lot in the last 20 years.   At least put on LI

4 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

I remember April 82-but it started to melt the very next day.  I don’t recall the Jan of 82 storm. I don’t remember anything in 87.  Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.  

I do remember storms in 77/78, around first week of February that were big on LI-Feb 83 and then really nothing remarkable until 95/96.  We were snow deprived.  

I must’ve missed a lot, but the frequency of 8 plus inch storms has increased a lot in the last 20 years.   At least put on LI

It was cold for the entire week in April 1982 and we had a smaller snow event at the end of the week also.

The Jan 82 storm caused a plane to go down in the Potomac.

23 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Less snow and more cold. I don't know how you think winters have been severe cold in recent memory. Severe cold winters were in the 1970's

I honestly dont think that will happen.  It's become far more humid year round than it was and our yearly rainfall averages are higher than they've ever been in recorded history.

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I honestly dont think that will happen.  It's become far more humid year round than it was and our yearly rainfall averages are higher than they've ever been in recorded history.

Cold winters like that will probably never happen again. Occasionally we can get highly anomalous cold months (Feb 2015) and even cold winters like 13/14 & 14/15 but those are the exceptions. 

I think snowfall will average AN for another decade or so, but then the warming climate will quickly overwhelm us and drastically reduce our averages. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Cold winters like that will probably never happen again. Occasionally we can get highly anomalous cold months (Feb 2015) and even cold winters like 13/14 & 14/15 but those are the exceptions. 

I think snowfall will average AN for another decade or so, but then the warming climate will quickly overwhelm us and drastically reduce our averages. 

and rainfall will keep going up.  Its already becoming sickeningly humid in the summer with all these 75+ dew points