Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Annual end of Oct blockbuster

Ginx snewx

28 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Critters may be moving, ahead of the storm - hope the right one moves past you.  I'll be moving wood from yard to porch while it's (mostly) dry, as our interior reno project and visit to family put the porch piles well short of where I'd like them to be - had hoped to spend AM on that and hunt the dusk, but looks like a PM washout.  (With a few IP to start; mid-levels milder than the previous storm so flakes - even slushy ones - may be harder to come by.)

They should be on the move early on as typically they are, Just need to be in the right place which i believe i am, Shot an 8pt buck from my same seat last year and had a few on the game cam a couple weeks back, Looks like noon on will definitely be a washout give or take a couple hours either side, Hopefully later in this case, Wanted a whole day in the woods but that does not appear likely.

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Nice for you guys...hopefully we get ours in due time as well....???

Ha you are quick, as soon as I posted that I moved it to the Banter thread as I forgot this was the nor'easter thread...

But anyway, another brutally cold daytime in October.

32F here but Montpelier is now sub-freezing at 31F after a midnight high of 36F.

MPV even reported -FZRN and -SN earlier this morning.

7GS8F4O.png

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

They should be on the move early on as typically they are, Just need to be in the right place which i believe i am, Shot an 8pt buck from my same seat last year and had a few on the game cam a couple weeks back, Looks like noon on will definitely be a washout give or take a couple hours either side, Hopefully later in this case, Wanted a whole day in the woods but that does not appear likely.

I've read a few articles in the sporting mags stating that hunting in the rain is quite productive.  Maybe in very light precip - took one deer during -SN, though the 1/2" snow failed to ease the 2200' drag that included 10" tall frost candles - but I've never gotten close to an opportunity in heavy precip.  My dad dropped a nice little buck near our NNJ home on opening day, at the tail end of the 18" overnight dump of Dec 1960.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Critters may be moving, ahead of the storm - hope the right one moves past you.  I'll be moving wood from yard to porch while it's (mostly) dry, as our interior reno project and visit to family put the porch piles well short of where I'd like them to be - had hoped to spend AM on that and hunt the dusk, but looks like a PM washout.  (With a few IP to start; mid-levels milder than the previous storm so flakes - even slushy ones - may be harder to come by.)

Hunted this morning for 6 hrs in the stand for deer nada.  Duck hunting will be phenomenal saturday ahead of the storm. They'll move. 

I haven’t taken a detailed look at this event, but in general it reminds me a lot lof March 12/13 2010. Not sure how that storm was in New England but that was the worst winds in a Nor’Easter that I’ve ever experienced while I was living on Long Island. Widespread outages and gusts from central NJ to south shore of LI in the 50 to 70 mph range. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nah those winds won't happen. That storm also stalled and backed in a bit. This will be nothing like it. I remember that one well. It gave us tremendous flooding. The precip will also be nothing like it. Coast and Cape will see some 50+ gusts, but nothing like 70.

Any similarities to last October's blow?   Edit...expecting winds to be less than half...but track, origin, etc?

Last Oct 30 storm's winds...

• 93 mph at Mashpee, Massachusetts
  • 78 mph at Wells, Vermont
  • 76 mph at Fairhaven, Massachusetts
  • 75 mph at Barnstable, Massachusetts
  • 73 mph near Mystic, Connecticut
  • 72 mph near Penobscot, Maine
  • 72 mph at Warwick, Rhode Island
  • 70 mph at Augusta, Maine
  • 70 mph at Nantucket, Massachusetts
  • 69 mph at Portland, Maine
  • 67 mph at Montauk, New York
  • 66 mph at Groton, Connecticut
  • 66 mph at Bangor, Maine
  • 63 mph at Burlington, Vermont
  • 63 mph at Providence, Rhode Island
  • 55 mph at Boston-Logan Airport
  • 49 mph at LaGuardia Airport
  • 47 mph gust at Washington-Reagan National Airport

25 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any similarities to last October's blow?   Edit...expecting winds to be less than half...but track, origin, etc?

That was more of a screaming sou’easter. This is just an ordinary coastal low. I don’t expect much winds inland since it will be so cold and inverted.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I've read a few articles in the sporting mags stating that hunting in the rain is quite productive.  Maybe in very light precip - took one deer during -SN, though the 1/2" snow failed to ease the 2200' drag that included 10" tall frost candles - but I've never gotten close to an opportunity in heavy precip.  My dad dropped a nice little buck near our NNJ home on opening day, at the tail end of the 18" overnight dump of Dec 1960.

Don't mind hunting in the snow as i do the rain, I have shot them while snowing, Was sitting on the edge of a field last day of the season back in the early 90's, It was a steady lt-mod snow that morning and around 11:00 am 3 does came running across the field so i dumped the biggest of the three to fill my tag.

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

I haven’t taken a detailed look at this event, but in general it reminds me a lot lof March 12/13 2010. Not sure how that storm was in New England but that was the worst winds in a Nor’Easter that I’ve ever experienced while I was living on Long Island. Widespread outages and gusts from central NJ to south shore of LI in the 50 to 70 mph range. 

Nothingburger this far north.  Probably took a hard right, though that's only a guess.

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nam like some ice for Dendrite it seems. Congrats on th slick cox.

Most of the time CAD overperforms in North Dendriteland.  Wonder if I'll get stuck at 32F for some time on Saturday?  Sure unbelievably cold up here today.  Only got up to 35F with flurries most of he day. Back to freezing now.  Expected it to get up to at least 40F today.  

14 minutes ago, MarkO said:

No doubt elevation storm. My neighborhood up north goes from 0 at 1000' to about 8" at 2000'

Surprised that its 0 at 1,000' there, Foothills here start around 800', Definitely want as much elev as you can get initially, But with the eventual track of the slp, Even those areas will flip as the mids and upper levels get the cold scoured out as well at the surface.

The high res NAM going with an icy look the past few runs for many of the typical CAD spots on the eastern slopes of the mountains. Verbatim it's giving me over and inch of liquid of freezing rain as the 650-850 mb layer torches with maritime air and the low level cold gets stuck. I'm still 31° F at the surface at 06z Sunday on the 18z run! That's a sneaky ice storm if I ever saw one. 

I find this a rather surprising evolution as I was thinking this would be either rain or snow and not ice. I was kind of thinking things would be mixed enough to prevent ice and this event would be either a cold rain or isothermal blue snow. I'd rather have snow than ice. :fulltilt:

Hopefully the 00z will trend colder.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 6.35.29 PM.png