Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, slow poke said:

Grand Marais is a great area, if I was looking for a area in the UP to have a place it would be at the top of my list also. 

About 10 miles south of town. This area is probably tied with Twin Lakes or spots in the Hurons.

These would all be my choices. Ontario is an option as well.

Snow.png.eb10c69e86a2574e9c406f84a4dd80a1.png

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

It is pretty crazy how much of a tightrope there is within this subforum. Its about a 250 mile swath of the region that experiences almost the best climate on the continent (depending on perspective) Normally 30+ inches of snow falls, decent cold but occasional thaws, pond hockey and winter activities can be done with some degree of difficulty. Summers average in the 80s with occasional heat waves. You drive just north of this region and its 7 months of winter and 2 months of summer and drive just south of this region and its 7 months summer and 2 months winter.

Spot on!

On 12/4/2018 at 12:52 PM, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Yeah what's the point of it being cold all the time if it's never going to snow ? Might as well be 70 and sunny.

45 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

Again north of indiana while another big storm missed south this weekend. Sucks 

41 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

We cannot catch a storm.  I am so tired of the misses.

11 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Get's a taste of honey, wants the whole hive :whistle:

Lol. I thought that I was the only hoosier lamenting our recent dearth of snow. Ready to change our state nickname to hosed.  Lol II at throwing in the towel at Hoosier's 384 Hr GFS Hail Mary.

Oh I've had plenty of nicknames to come up with for Indiana in regards to missing winter storms the past few years. The I 70 dividing line, Moses parting the red sea (in this case storms), Indiainta, The Hoosier Dome. We all know even with that fantasy storm it will stay north or even go farther north just like when storms a week away are showing a suppressed storm it locks it in no big changes in models. While we endure many events with storms suddenly within 24 to 36 hours decide to hose us last minute. It's quite unbelievable really

Due to relocating to Chapel Hill NC next summer, I have started monitoring the SE States forum as well as social media weather sources for the region.

The response to the potential 3"-5" this coming weekend is.....comical.

It's all about perspective I guess. After a few years acclimating there,  I will probably feel similar. Naaaahhhhh....lived in Chicagoland for the last 48 years, I'm not going to forget how to handle a few inches of snow that easily.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DaveNay said:

Due to relocating to Chapel Hill NC next summer, I have started monitoring the SE States forum as well as social media weather sources for the region.

The response to the potential 3"-5" this coming weekend is.....comical.

It's all about perspective I guess. After a few years acclimating there,  I will probably feel similar. Naaaahhhhh....lived in Chicagoland for the last 48 years, I'm not going to forget how to handle a few inches of snow that easily.

Get used to "Wedge's" and "CAD's".  When I first moved to SC from Fl. 17 years ago I didn't know what the heck they were talking about. thought they we're sandwiches lol.  We got about 4 or 5 inches of snow in Charleston area around '07 I think.  You'd a thought it was the blizzard of '78!

Its looking like the Piedmont may be looking at their biggest storm in decades from GSP's AFD....

We are approaching increases in the
official fcst QPF cautiously since even modest snow ratios from
these values would result in snow/sleet accumulations that might
be a once-in-a-generation event for parts of the Piedmont

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

ouch...you win.   You should be granted a get-out-of-banning-free b*tch card good for the entire upcoming season.

Part of me wanted the last storm to get a little closer to us just to make the gradient a bit more impressive. I have a week between Dec. 23-28 where I'll be in Syracuse, and it's entirely possible I see more in those 5 days than I do all winter here. Wouldn't be too unmanageable. 

One thing I love about the south is that EVERY snow event is a big deal. It's snowing lightly here right now and could see some light accumulations and nobody is even talking about it. That's what I don't like about the midwest. In the south, snow is more fun. You go so long without seeing snow, that you appreciate even the slightest bit of snow. I think people up here take the smaller events for granted and don't appreciate it enough.

1 hour ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

One thing I love about the south is that EVERY snow event is a big deal. It's snowing lightly here right now and could see some light accumulations and nobody is even talking about it. That's what I don't like about the midwest. In the south, snow is more fun. You go so long without seeing snow, that you appreciate even the slightest bit of snow. I think people up here take the smaller events for granted and don't appreciate it enough.

...incoming wrath of Josh in t minus 10...9...8..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, buckeye said:

...incoming wrath of Josh in t minus 10...9...8.. 

It's true though. Even with 2-4" events there's just not a lot of excitement. You should try living in the south and going years without seeing snow. The sight of a snow flurry is enough to close schools down there. Up here it's like business as usual.

1 hour ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

It's true though. Even with 2-4" events there's just not a lot of excitement. You should try living in the south and going years without seeing snow. The sight of a snow flurry is enough to close schools down there. Up here it's like business as usual.

That's only natural though.  Not everybody is the same but in general, the more you see something, the less noteworthy it becomes.  

I still get excited for the first snow of the season but after that occurs, the bar to get me excited typically gets higher.

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Funny how with age, just a few snow-globe flurries are enough to satisfy me. Big storms are overrated (and basically unattainable where I live). Learn to find contentment in the small stuff. 

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse
out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it.
The child is grown; the dream is gone.
I, I, I've become comfortably numb.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

That's only natural though.  Not everybody is the same but in general, the more you see something, the less noteworthy it becomes.  

I still get excited for the first snow of the season but after that occurs, the bar to get me excited typically gets higher.

True. You give me an earthquake, I am going to freak out. Native Californian, not so much. 

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse
out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it.
The child is grown; the dream is gone.
I, I, I've become comfortably numb.

Easily top 3 bands in my book!

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Seems legit :lmao:

yea I checked the ensembles.   Out of 51 solutions....  the OP is the only one that has that lol.     I will say this, the euro has been hellbent on putting a small pocket of heavy snow over someone in the lakes, OV, or MW for the last several runs for that timeframe.    My guess is by the time we finally get a storm the cold air pool will continue to shrink and it'll be pretty much a big rain event.

1 hour ago, (((Will))) said:

That seems so weird. To me that area is just a flat area you drive past as fast as possible. To me it just has no real stand out appeal. Honestly, if you like the UP...try out the western part. We got hills that pretend to be mountains (but at least there's something on the horizon), we have a rockier coast line, more snow, deeper cold, a better economy (I know a couple of people from Seney, Newberry and north in that area - it's just a depressing place, all the kids are leaving, you have to drive all the way to Marquette or Sault Ste Marie if you want to shop, there's a lot of drugs, etc.)...on and on. Every positive it has is upstaged just slightly in the west...and the west is dirt cheap as well because they built all these houses in the mining boom and now that the population is more than cut in half from its peak...real estate is available.

The Porcupines and Hurons are awesome, they remind me a lot of the Allagash in Maine, Houghton/Hancock is a very nice attempt at pretending to be a city (at least it's active at all times and you don't have 40% of the buildings collapsing, lol), and the Keweenaw itself is awesome...I'm from Maine and in many ways the Keweenaw reminds me of Acadia National Park without the billionaire mansions blocking the views of the water. In the middle of summer you can very easily find an empty little beach for yourself.

Grand Marais, while definitely pretty, just does not stick out to me as anything special within the larger context of the entire UP. I'm curious why you two love it so much.

I totally understand why someone would choose to live in the Keweenaw over areas to the east in the UP for all the reasons you have listed. I've been going to the Keweenaw/western UP area since the early 90's snowmobiling, skiing, dirt biking, side x sides, seadooing, I've seen/explored a ton of that area. Beautiful no doubt. Was just up there for a couple days back in July on our way back from out west. We showed our son MI Tech to see what he thought of the campus. The problem is in the winter with all the snow you guys get and how beautiful it is that you get a lot of snowmobiles out that way from WI,MN,IA, and IL plus whatever down state MI people that want to make the 10 hour drive. It's great for your guys economy during the winter though. The eastern UP north of M28 gets great snow and keeps its plus they have miles of trails without all the sleds like the Keweenaw gets. The off trail riding is great also without all the rocks like the western UP has. I would never live in the UP, I don't need or want to have snow on the ground 6+ months a year, to each their own though and if thats what you like thats a good place to be.  I hate the bugs up there when the snow does melt also. When I say having a place up there it would be a 2nd home/cabin, something around 3 or so hours from the area that I plan on retiring to which is north west lower MI. As a cabin I wouldn't care to much about shopping and stuff like that and as far as it being flat in the eastern UP, that's true, no doubt but to me, pretty much everywhere between eastern MT/WY and the Appalachian Mts is flat. The hills in MI are pretty but I don't consider any of them mountains so the difference between the smaller rolling hills in the eastern UP and the bigger rocky hills in the western UP is minimal. Enjoy your winter up there Will, hopefully you'll have a great long and snowy snow season.