Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Solak

Florence Observations

Recommended Posts

Those poor folks in SeNC.  Look at the neverending fetch on radar.  They are getting destroyed with rain right now and likely for the 12 hours.  Easily another foot of rain.  Then they have to worry about how much falls west of them.  

Florence has left a very, very large mark on the state.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Those poor folks in SeNC.  Look at the neverending fetch on radar.  They are getting destroyed with rain right now and likely for the 12 hours.  Easily another foot of rain.  Then they have to worry about how much falls west of them.  

Florence has left a very, very large mark on the state.

 

I worked down that way for several years, at UNCP in Robeson County.  So not a good place for flooding - terribly flat, the Lumber River right there, and such a economically down area of the state.  This corner of NC is pretty poor, but the people are some the greatest I have ever met in my life.  It might sound trite to say it, but it reminds me of growing up a long time ago where people looked out for each other, did the best with what they have, and the community was more than the person living next to you for a couple years.  If this goes as bad as it might, I would really suggest this be a place where focused donations be aimed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thin band keeps training over Danville with heavy rain. Over an inch now storm total. Some places have had 2 inches the past hour to the southeast of here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLOODING AND DOWNED TREES MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS IN NC

I-95 CLOSED THROUGH CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA
I-95 is closed in both directions between Exit 138 (US 64) and Exit 65 (NC-82) near Dunn, due to flooding and a crash.

Through traffic from I-95 in Georgia is advised to use 
I-16 West to
I-75 North to
I-81 North to
I-64 East back to I-95 in Virginia.

Traffic from I-95 in Virginia is advised to use
I-64 West to
I-81 South to
I-75 South to
I-16 East back to I-95 in Georgia.

 


I-40 CLOSED BETWEEN WILMINGTON AND I-95
All Lanes of I-40 are closed in both directions near Warsaw between Exit 364 (NC-24) and Exit 369 (US-117) due to flooding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ander420 said:

I worked down that way for several years, at UNCP in Robeson County.  So not a good place for flooding - terribly flat, the Lumber River right there, and such a economically down area of the state.  This corner of NC is pretty poor, but the people are some the greatest I have ever met in my life.  It might sound trite to say it, but it reminds me of growing up a long time ago where people looked out for each other, did the best with what they have, and the community was more than the person living next to you for a couple years.  If this goes as bad as it might, I would really suggest this be a place where focused donations be aimed.

I'm a Robesonian and proud of it. We get a bad rap lots of times and sometimes deservedly. However, our people came together in a wonderful and powerful way after Hurricane Matthew, and we're going to do it again after this storm.

Already water rescues starting here. Many of the same areas flooding as two years ago. This is what folks came together to do yesterday to try to protect our community. https://www.robesonian.com/news/115395/5000-sandbags-two-berms-in-place-at-i-95-bridge

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God please help this storm to move much faster and weaken. I can't even imagine what southeast NC is going through with those relentless rain bands. Hopefully the rain bands weaken and move on. God please have a lot of mercy on the people of North and South Carolina.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

God please help this storm to move much faster and weaken. I can't even imagine what southeast NC is going through with those relentless rain bands. Hopefully the rain bands weaken and move on. God please have a lot of mercy on the people of North and South Carolina.

Not gonna happen looking at the radar.  Florence still dropping the hammer for many more hours.  She's still feeding off the ocean.  If the flooding wasnt already out of control, it sure will be by the end of today.  

If anyone has family left in that area that has not evacuated, get them out.  This cleanup will take weeks, not hours, not days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My family lives in Hope Mills, in SW Cumberland county.  Many of the houses around then got flooded out in Matthew but they were lucky.  Hoping they make it through this one as well.  One of my cousins's houses got completely flooded out.  Took them months to recover.  I would not be surprised if it happens again.

Meanwhile, in Wilson, "only" 7.10 and a light drizzle now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaryWx said:

WxWatcher, You still have power?

 

I do...

But things have deteriorated quickly here today. Nearby PWS is reporting 8.56" on the day, and the side roads around the hotel have flooded. It's true that you don't know how much water is on the road by eyeballing things, because when I went out to help people who were stuck in their cars water was up to my calf. Only vehicles that can get through at this point are pickup trucks and other high profile vehicles, but at this rate, that might not last much longer. 

Want to make it clear that I'm perfectly safe despite the road conditions immediately around me, and from my (very limited) vantage point I cannot see major flooding on my section of Fayetteville Road. I don't think anyone should be on the roads at this point. I know a lot of highway sections are closed. 

Just here helping out as best I can at this point. There are too many people trying to push through the water. 

Here are some pictures from earlier. Water has risen a bit since then. 

NT3VzCx.jpg

q3NiZYz.jpg

YhPKQ8s.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, finally getting a chance to check in. We are safe and sound. We lost power Thursday evening and it will be down for a long while. Numerous lines are down leading to our neighborhood. my house is fine and no flooding as I am on high ground. I lost part of my fence and a large limb but that is all. We picked up 10.5" as of Friday night. I am now in Virginia Beach staying with my brother as the house got too warm and humid to enjoy. My work has signal that they will be closed until further notice which probably means all next week. This storm was much worse that anything else I have been in including Irene. In less than 2 years I will get a chance to retire and we will leave to coast and head far inland. I am done with Hurricanes. Pictures will come later.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Hey everyone, finally getting a chance to check in. We are safe and sound. We lost power Thursday evening and it will be down for a long while. Numerous lines are down leading to our neighborhood. my house is fine and no flooding as I am on high ground. I lost part of my fence and a large limb but that is all. We picked up 10.5" as of Friday night. I am now in Virginia Beach staying with my brother as the house got too warm and humid to enjoy. My work has signal that they will be closed until further notice which probably means all next week. This storm was much worse that anything else I have been in including Irene. In less than 2 years I will get a chance to retire and we will leave to coast and head far inland. I am done with Hurricanes. Pictures will come later.

Good to hear from you, Glad you're safe and house did not get flooded!!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Hey everyone, finally getting a chance to check in. We are safe and sound. We lost power Thursday evening and it will be down for a long while. Numerous lines are down leading to our neighborhood. my house is fine and no flooding as I am on high ground. I lost part of my fence and a large limb but that is all. We picked up 10.5" as of Friday night. I am now in Virginia Beach staying with my brother as the house got too warm and humid to enjoy. My work has signal that they will be closed until further notice which probably means all next week. This storm was much worse that anything else I have been in including Irene. In less than 2 years I will get a chance to retire and we will leave to coast and head far inland. I am done with Hurricanes. Pictures will come later.

Good to hear that you're ok and that there wasn't too much damage to your home. The images from that area are incredible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Hey everyone, finally getting a chance to check in. We are safe and sound.

Glad  to see you checking in. Hope things aren't too bad when you get back home. Enjoy your time with family while you can!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The water has risen significantly in Lumberton in the last 3 hours. Some of the heaviest rain of the storm for that time period. Several boat rescues. Street in front of my house is flooded, which didn't happen during Matthew. Hard to believe this is happening again less than two years later. People were more prepared but the damage will be catastrophic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kraychav said:

The water has risen significantly in Lumberton in the last 3 hours. Some of the heaviest rain of the storm for that time period. Several boat rescues. Street in front of my house is flooded, which didn't happen during Matthew. Hard to believe this is happening again less than two years later. People were more prepared but the damage will be catastrophic.

Are there many trees down there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kraychav said:

The water has risen significantly in Lumberton in the last 3 hours. Some of the heaviest rain of the storm for that time period. Several boat rescues. Street in front of my house is flooded, which didn't happen during Matthew. Hard to believe this is happening again less than two years later. People were more prepared but the damage will be catastrophic.

Yep, it’s awful to see. The only thing that’s heartening for me right now is seeing cars turn around when facing the flooded streets here. It’s already bad, no need to add to it. 

This is the front of the hotel at 9pm

I0jWsm5.jpg

99cWAAv.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Not gonna happen looking at the radar.  Florence still dropping the hammer for many more hours.  She's still feeding off the ocean.  If the flooding wasnt already out of control, it sure will be by the end of today.  

If anyone has family left in that area that has not evacuated, get them out.  This cleanup will take weeks, not hours, not days.

GFS indicates another nine inches; the NAM indicates another 18 inches;  WRF-ARW indicates another 28 inches;  WRF-NMM indicates another 29 inches; the RAP indicates another 16 inches, and the HRRR indicates a further 27 inches. These projected amounts of rain are ON TOP OF WHAT HAS ALREADY FALLEN.

 

I heard that some parts of NC have received up to 30 inches of rain so far. If the NMM is right, and I hope to God that it is dead WRONG, the rain amounts would be similar to Harvey last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like expected, the creek behind my house has risen past it's bank. My business which is 1/4 mile from my house and next to the same creek has water inside of it. I measured 4" yesterday evening. Not sure how much we've had since then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×