• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jensenburnett
    Newest Member
    jensenburnett
Solak

Florence Observations

Already picked up more rain that I was expecting by this time. My weather station back home has reported 1.15" since midnight already.. plus an additional 0.92" from yesterday. So I'm already over 2" for the storm and the main course isn't even here yet.

Down around Swift Creek, it's been gusty off and on, but never too extreme. Power has flickered a few times, but survived. I think the pruning around the lines that they did sometime last winter (IIRC) along Yates Mill has helped us a lot.

I feel like we've dodged a bullet so far, here.

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone post this.  Not too surprising unfortunately as it was swaying all over the place before the camera went out.

The ends of the Oceanana Pier and the Barnacle Bar appear to have been lost, according to Atlantic Beach Mayor Trace Cooper, writing on Facebook.

A1305F0C-7DDA-414C-ACF0-3293709730B2.jpeg

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

8nyx8xf.png

Still pouring here and all the guidance has things continuing all day. 

WxWatcher,  Do you still have power?  The State and Progress Energy will need to get those crews into Lumberton to restore power later today or tomorrow latest before the river floods everything out on Monday or Tues and access is cut off for a week.

1 hour ago, Kraychav said:

Would you mind posting a link to this graphic, please? Thanks.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ilm&gage=lumn7

This isn’t the only river site though. There’s another one that’s only a forecast.

15 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

WxWatcher,  Do you still have power?  The State and Progress Energy will need to get those crews into Lumberton to restore power later today or tomorrow latest before the river floods everything out on Monday or Tues and access is cut off for a week.

I’ve had power the entire time. No flickering since about 7:30 last night. Looking to check out tomorrow morning but I’m a bit concerned about taking I-95 N and running into a washed out highway. Seems like waiting will be risky though.

The Charleston area south of I-26 has basically had almost no real effects from this storm. Some 45 mph wind gusts, a few power outages, a very small amount of rain (maybe 1/4” or so). Incredible the difference here and 50-60 miles away in Georgetown.

28 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

WxWatcher,  You're in a hotel

Yeah, but the area around me has power too. If this part of town lost power the hotel would have too. The management sent us a notice about that. Their generator has limited capacity.

Not saying the rest of the town has power or trying to provide an erroneous observation, the overwhelming majority of the county is without power according to the maps, I’m just talking about my specific area. 

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

Thanks WxWatcher

No problem. If there are other obs that I post that should be clarified you or anyone should feel free to let me know. I don’t want anyone to think I’m an outside weenie looking to just get in get video and get out. While I’m here, I hope to be a resource (as much as I can be) for people in the area.

My hotel has been a bit of a hub for power crews. There was a big briefing here before the storm and some stayed behind and are staged here. 

1 minute ago, Solak said:

4.57" yesterday. 2 day storm total 5.80"

no power since 7:25 last night

we are lucky the power grid is all underground for the most part and its gotta really gust up over 60-70 a lot to lose power....I heard 15-20 transformers pop Thurs night into yesterday morning and never had more than a brownout or two....

rain total is hard to determine, its somewhere between 9-12" this last band of storms gave me 1-1.5" in just 30 mins and the yards around here are all underwater this is my back corner and my two neighbors yards...

1957793924_yard2.thumb.jpg.15a0720b74635dbfdeb6022dc856a33c.jpg

A close PWS, near Barker Ten Mile has reported 3.62” today and 3.08” yesterday. That’s in line with radar estimates. It’s pouring again under the heavier echoes of that band. Sheets of rain. This was around the hotel earlier. Flooding in some of the fields and back roads but my part of Fayetteville road looked mostly fine. 

0mrNlC5.jpg

nYS0Y7d.jpg

5y62oUY.jpg

NlR8Ta4.jpg

x4cBIyj.jpg

I need to get to Charleston from Rocky Mount NC - daughter is having baby tomorrow ... DOT says 95 closed around Dunn . Wants to re route me to Hickory !!!!

Can anyone pinpoint roads off 95 that are flooded - I was thinking 95 to 40 to Clinton back to 95 around Lumberton -- once past Lumberton should be good to charleston

Lumber River not supposed to Crest until Monday

30 minutes ago, Chubbiegull said:

I need to get to Charleston from Rocky Mount NC - daughter is having baby tomorrow ... DOT says 95 closed around Dunn . Wants to re route me to Hickory !!!!

Can anyone pinpoint roads off 95 that are flooded - I was thinking 95 to 40 to Clinton back to 95 around Lumberton -- once past Lumberton should be good to charleston

No way they would recommend Hickory.  There have to be 15-20 routes south you could take before that.  Just go 64 to Raleigh and then South to Fayetteville.  If they were only recommending interstates then they wouldnt have to go further than 85 to Charlotte and then back to 95.  

Hickory is crazy.  Who recommended that?

1 hour ago, Chubbiegull said:

I suppose the baby will be named Florence? (Florio if it's a boy)

And, congratulations. 

Just got power back that we lost about 24 hrs ago

0.40" Thursday

5.45" yesterday

1.64" so far today but with all the blowing hard to say.

Couple trees down, saw a trailer up the road that lost a roof but overall could be worse and is just to my SE across 95. 

Just now, NCSNOW said:

NWS. Issued flood warning ,not watch for about 6 counties in the triad till like 900 tonight

Has a precautionary feel to it.  It really isnt bad at all across the triad....fortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chubbiegull said:

Take 64 west to Asheboro, then 49 south to Charlotte, then 77 south through Columbia. 

15 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Has a precautionary feel to it.  It really isnt bad at all across the triad....fortunately.

I've only had .02" yesterday and .59" since midnight.