Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Paxton up through Princeton is more orographically enhanced than petersham which is on the west slope out toward Quabbin. Don't get me wrong, Petersham does just fine...esp those high spots around 1100 feet...but probably not quite as well as the spine to the east side. 

If you want fairly secluded but still basically jackpot, then I'd recommend Ashburnham down toward Westminster and Princeton (west side up over 1000 feet) That axis does very well...just don't pay attention to whinminster's posts, lol. 

Grafton/westborough are going to really start getting noticeable for loss of snow retention versus all these other spots we mention....they still do well but they will not hold the snow nearly as well as north/west side of ORH and up through all those other towns. 

Agree on all.  At the end of the day, I know Petersham and Ashburnham will be ruled out based on distance.  Having come from older homes though, I think the newer 1900-1930 classics in ORH are hard to beat.  From an architectural standpoint, they are just fantastic.

59 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Agree on all.  At the end of the day, I know Petersham and Ashburnham will be ruled out based on distance.  Having come from older homes though, I think the newer 1900-1930 classics in ORH are hard to beat.  From an architectural standpoint, they are just fantastic.

Petersham/New Salem don't have a lot of offerings that come on the market.   You would get much more bang for your buck in Worcester if you are into older architecture.

You could always commute Lunenburg,  the slant stick, snow capital of MA. 

46 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Petersham/New Salem don't have a lot of offerings that come on the market.   You would get much more bang for your buck in Worcester if you are into older architecture.

You could always commute Lunenburg,  the slant stick, snow capital of MA. 

LOL.  Getting 1900-1930 vintage would feel like a contemporary compared to our prior homes.

FYI--we're going to be having a moving sale next weekend (I think) in case you have any interest.

With the exception of a couple of 67/8F dews in Maine and NH everyone in New England has dews 70F and above.  Pretty impressive for September without some tropical system nearby.  This is what Labor Day out to be.  A good old fashion summer day.   Fine with me as it ends right now.

Meanwhile later today it will be a southbound mass exodus of those Southern New Englanders.  Back to the normal traffic going by our house.

horses.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Yeah those older homes in ORH are tough to beat if you're into the architecture. Stay on the west side or north side of the city though if possible for the weather. It can often be like night and day when comparing the northwest side to places like Webster square or downtown...it shows up in the retention a lot more too. 

Though no matter where you go, the retention won't be as good as where you were in shelburn. Ashburnham could prob beat it out but you said that was too far. North side of Holden is a good spot that is still close to ORH but your inventory of older style homes is lower. But there's a few older colonials around in those towns. Probably not nearly as many victorians though like you get in ORH.