Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

But should he have been in the slammer indefinitely?  How would you manage this and still have room for known violent perpetrators.

empty the jails of users and drunks, put them in rehab, keep the hard drug dealers, rapists, murderers, thieves.

Just now, weathafella said:

But should he have been in the slammer indefinitely?  How would you manage this and still have room for known violent perpetrators.

As I wrote previously he at least should have been held under house arrest and wearing an ankle bracelet. And as you know not all jails house violent perpetrators. 

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Perhaps he would have been deterred from leaving home?????

Someone I find an ankle bracelet wouldn't have been be a deterrent to someone willing to invade a home and to also attack an officer with a rock rendering him incapacitated than proceeding to shoot and kill them and the resident of the home he invaded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Someone I find an ankle bracelet wouldn't have been be a deterrent to someone willing to invade a home and to also attack an officer with a rock rendering him incapacitated than proceeding to shoot and kill them and the resident of the home he invaded.

We will never know but people generally react in a different manner when they are confronted by police. Some turn violent as he did. So what are you proposing??????

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

We will never know but people generally react in a different manner when they are confronted by police. Some turn violent as he did. So what are you proposing??????

I'm not proposing anything, specifically.  I just take issue with the quick blaming of the "system" or "liberal judges".   Massachusetts, as a whole, is an extremely safe State, so I'll defend our politicians/police/laws/judges until the stats prove otherwise.  We will never be able to eliminate violent crime until we evolve as a species.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'm not proposing anything, specifically.  I just take issue with the quick blaming of the "system" or "liberal judges".   Massachusetts, as a whole, is an extremely safe State, so I'll defend our politicians/police/laws/judges until the stats prove otherwise.  We will never be able to eliminate violent crime until we evolve as a species.

Define "extremely safe state"

Amazing footage from Hawaii today, yes it is weather-related.  The lava has been entering the ocean creating steam clouds,  This morning an explosion occurred at the ocean edge. (5 people were hurt on a tour boat that was too close) Lightning started going off in the rising steam and explosion cloud.  Very rare footage, not even sure what caused this at only a few hundred feet off the ocean surface.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

And the "safest" state, according to that link, had a guy murder a deputy sheriff this past spring.  The perp's testimony at his arrangement was that the deputy had previously arrested the perp's gf for possession of drugs, can't remember the substance other than it was not marijuana.  It can happen anywhere.

50 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Amazing footage from Hawaii today, yes it is weather-related.  The lava has been entering the ocean creating steam clouds,  This morning an explosion occurred at the ocean edge. (5 people were hurt on a tour boat that was too close) Lightning started going off in the rising steam and explosion cloud.  Very rare footage, not even sure what caused this at only a few hundred feet off the ocean surface.  Thoughts?

The lightning part is pretty cool ... Sucks that people got hurt though

The issue is one of most complicated we face as a society. We can’t afford to lock everyone up, nor should we, and humans are unpredictable. We will never prevent these things completely.

It looks like this guy had fought with police before, so that’s definitely a huge red flag of someone who is violent and can pose a potential danger in future encounters.

Ultimately, we need to work towards a system that treats drug users and folks with mental health issues outside of a prison system. This not only helps these folks who shouldn’t be in prison, but also helps keep people away that should be there.

RIP to this poor officer though. 15 mins until the end of his shift. 2 young kids. Very unfortunate. Being a cop is a tough gig. Dealing with the worst society has to offer on a daily basis, with very little praise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I assume you mean the lightning and not the explosion?

The theory anyway is intense steam updraft rapidly separates out positive charge, and in the stronger ash/steam plumes is able to do so in such a way to create enough of a gradient to cause discharges over a relatively short distance compared to thunderstorms. These would likely be positive "CGs" vs. a typical negative CG of a thunderstorm.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I assume you mean the lightning and not the explosion?

The theory anyway is intense steam updraft rapidly separates out positive charge, and in the stronger ash/steam plumes is able to do so in such a way to create enough of a gradient to cause discharges over a relatively short distance compared to thunderstorms. These would likely be positive "CGs" vs. a typical negative CG of a thunderstorm.

Thank you Ocean.  Yeah the lightning was what I was referring too.  Can't remember ever seeing a steam explosion cause this.  Multiple flashes in that cloud.  

34 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The issue is one of most complicated we face as a society. We can’t afford to lock everyone up, nor should we, and humans are unpredictable. We will never prevent these things completely.

It looks like this guy had fought with police before, so that’s definitely a huge red flag of someone who is violent and can pose a potential danger in future encounters.

Ultimately, we need to work towards a system that treats drug users and folks with mental health issues outside of a prison system. This not only helps these folks who shouldn’t be in prison, but also helps keep people away that should be there.

RIP to this poor officer though. 15 mins until the end of his shift. 2 young kids. Very unfortunate. Being a cop is a tough gig. Dealing with the worst society has to offer on a daily basis, with very little praise. 

You nailed it.  Great post!

This has completely devastated the community. Absolutely crushed. The whole circumstances are disgustingly mind blowing. The officer goes after someone who ditched a car after an accident, try to apprehend the guy vandalizing a home, scuffle or wait until the officer holsters his gun to apprehend you, hit him with a rock to knock him out, shoot him multiple times in the chest and head with his own weapon, murder him, and then deliberately kill an innocent bystander having coffee in her sun room with the same weapon meant to use to protect. All of this and only 30 minutes left on your shift.  I can’t even fathom that. As a parent, seeing the pics with his family just crushes you. I don’t get it and never will. I have many friends in law enforcement and it’s hit them pretty hard. It’s been amazing to see Weymouth pull together. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This has completely devastated the community. Absolutely crushed. The whole circumstances are disgustingly mind blowing. The officer goes after someone who ditched a car after an accident, try to apprehend the guy vandalizing a home, scuffle or wait until the officer holsters his gun to apprehend you, hit him with a rock to knock him out, shoot him multiple times in the chest and head with his own weapon, murder him, and then deliberately kill an innocent bystander having coffee in her sun room with the same weapon meant to use to protect. All of this and only 30 minutes left on your shift.  I can’t even fathom that. As a parent, seeing the pics with his family just crushes you. I don’t get it and never will. I have many friends in law enforcement and it’s hit them pretty hard. It’s been amazing to see Weymouth pull together. 

These derelicts are scum .  The country has finally awoken after a horrific 8 years.. with a booming economy and unemployment at all time lows. At any rate,I hope they take this guy in jail , take him and then they gas chamber him 

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

These derelicts are scum .  The country has finally awoken after a horrific 8 years.. with a booming economy and unemployment at all time lows. At any rate,I hope they take this guy in jail , take him and then they gas chamber him 

Deplorable in Tolland?

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Scott you were the first one I thought of when a friend told me last night what happened.  Knowing your connection to the community this has to be devastating. 

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Awakened?  Woke?  This guy still murdered a cop and an old lady.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

You nailed it.  Great post!

It’s tough. If we put everyone away who has broken a law, half the country or more would be in jail.

Finding that line between treatment and forgiveness and locking people away is tough, and usually not clear cut.

Now, the scum bag who murdered the cop in Yarmouth is a different story. That was a horrific failure of the justice system. Over 100 priors, many violent. Guy should have been in jail for the rest of his days 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Scott you were the first one I thought of when a friend told me last night what happened.  Knowing your connection to the community this has to be devastating. 

My neighbor was friends with him. It’s so awful. I wasn’t born and raised here, but I know a lot in and around the town. My wife went to get food yesterday and saw a Quincy cop in the same place getting take out. They were covering for Weymouth. She just looked at him and said how sorry she was. He teared up. It’s a weird and sad feeling when you go about doing errands. I think the circumstances are just so horrific. 

The guy clearly had mental issues based on what his mom said and his past history. I wish this country would focus on that and not lock up people for a dime bag.

It is a monstrously difficult nut to crack. I do agree with Ginx for the most part that dealers who target kids and those who are violent towards the police should be kept locked up as much as possible.

The crap most police have to put up with is astonishing. There are some bad ones, but by far the good ones outweigh those. I would need to look up stats but I don’t recall cops being killed when I was growing up, 

As far as people having “woken up” after 8 years, that is complete bull****. Without going on a political tear, I have never been more disgusted by what is going on than seeing our country sold down the river to an enemy state.  I will not respond any more on this.  I keep quiet about it for the most part.  

If you are supporting what is going on, you can suck my dick. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Awakened?  Woke?  This guy still murdered a cop and an old lady.

That kind of stuff has happened since the beginning of time. It was allowed to fester over the last 8 years during that regime..It's going to take time to undo all the bad that was done, and granted it will never be ideal. It's a scary world we live in. But Socks post was honestly nauseating. Ginx and I agree on very little, but that post was enough to make most people turn over in their  graves