Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Mid/Long Range & Disco

NorthArlington101

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Fozz said:

The spring lovers aren't going to be thrilled to see this...

Disgusting.  

DC’s average high is now 65 and will be 70 in less than 2 weeks so at least BN is becoming more and more mild.  Also the BN temps on the GEFS look single digits vs the double digit departures we’ve seen lately.  

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

IMG_5501.thumb.PNG.20fa252c4044e8408dfbc63593975838.PNG

Amazing to see these impossible solutions.  April has been a gift from heaven so far.  But I know this climate...this region we call home.  Heat will never be denied.  It will come.  And when it does it will overperform.  

17 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i'm ready for thunderstorms and walking outside in shorts and a t-shirt.  this cold stuff needs to exit stage left until late november (but preferably after tgiving).

In my experience, some of my favorite winters came after a cold November (especially mid-November onwards). 2002-03 and 2013-14 come to mind.

But as far as now, the cold is starting to annoy me. Especially when it's overcast. As long as it's sunny, it will probably feel comfortable outside, but cloudy and 40 feels pretty lousy now.

28 minutes ago, Fozz said:

In my experience, some of my favorite winters came after a cold November (especially mid-November onwards). 2002-03 and 2013-14 come to mind.

But as far as now, the cold is starting to annoy me. Especially when it's overcast. As long as it's sunny, it will probably feel comfortable outside, but cloudy and 40 feels pretty lousy now.

yea i'm retired from cloudy and cold. it does nothing for me...unless it's snowing...or unless it's december.  i need spring weather.

6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

How do you retire from cloudy and cold? Does it involve moving to another part of the country? :D

maybe retired is short for real tired.  I suppose that would fit for anything associated with being retired.  Imagine when you retire you are real tired of working. 

2 minutes ago, Scraff said:

70’s and 80’s will feel great this week, but I’m still not putting my snow shovel away...for realz!?:lol:

C0309919-35F0-418D-841A-E45843B34485.jpeg

That's about the way I see it. Though very difficult this time of year the pattern itself on the models suggests you can't fully rule out the possibility of snow at some point especially for the favored locals. 

On 4/5/2018 at 7:39 AM, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Paging @RodneyS

Has there ever been an April at any of the airports that had more than one accumulating event?

Just saw this.  Yes, Dulles received 0.2 inches of snow on April 4, 1990, 2.7 inches on April 6, 1990, and 1.1 inches on April 7, 1990.  Presumably, these were two distinct events -- 0.2 inches on the 4th and 3.8 inches on the 6th-7th. 

In the pre-airport age in DC, there was 0.4 inches on April 6, 1907, 0.4 inches on April 7, 1907 (combined 0.8 inches) and 0.6 inches on April 9, 1907.  And, perhaps the toughest DC record to break:  After 0.5 inches of snow fell on April 5, 1898, another 0.5 inches fell on April 28, 1898.  (The temperature range on the latter day was 33 to 43, with 0.29 inches of precipitation.) 

However, 1874 might well be the champion for two April snows and the latest April snow ever, if official DC snow records had been kept at that time. April 1, 1874 had a temperature range of just 29 to 35, with 0.09 inches of precipitation; and April 29, 1874, had a temperature range of only 30 (latest DC freeze ever) to 45, with 0.84 inches of precipitation.  So, I would guess that snow fell on both of those days, and perhaps the latter day even saw an inch or two.  Maybe an old newspaper might mention snow on that day. 

Anyone that wants cold weather this time of year can move. No one is forcing you to live here. The reality is it should be quickly approaching 70 degrees here so that's a fair expectation, and wishing for anything less is weird and belongs in another subforum (New England). Getting sick of the applause for this awful last 6 weeks we've had. Been cheated out of 60s.

17 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

Anyone that wants cold weather this time of year can move. No one is forcing you to live here. The reality is it should be quickly approaching 70 degrees here so that's a fair expectation, and wishing for anything less is weird and belongs in another subforum (New England). Getting sick of the applause for this awful last 6 weeks we've had. Been cheated out of 60s.

Weird?  It’s a weather forum.  Not hurting kids or old people.  We, who like cold, don’t scold you for being a fan of warmth.  You’ll applaud when it’s 90.  That’s fine.  Why do you care what anyone applauds if it’s something no one can control?  Start a warmth thread and chase it there.  Pretty sure that warm weather won’t be in short supply for the next 6-7 months.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived