Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Short Range Model Analysis

Bob Chill

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Has to be wrong. Sounding in Waldorf has like a tiny warm nose at 950 but that's it. We're talking 2.5 hours from now. There's just no way....is there?

I think the truth is in between the GFS and NAM just based on obs so far today.  But I certainly hope the GFS is closer to reality. 

5 minutes ago, high risk said:

one more comment regarding GFS ptype, relevant for this afternoon and for early Wednesday.    These were 24h ptype forecasts for the March 2017 storm when there was a lot of IP/ZR in the I-95 corridor.     The GFS completely missed the transition zone.5ab12d07721f0_ScreenShot2018-03-20at11_44_49AM.png.d88335e3fdc636e18d012d610cd09d91.png

What are you using to build that graphic?

12 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

GFS- low tucked in closer compared to its 6Z run. Best look yet for the urban corridor and closer to the Euro. 

real close.  damn near stalls briefly.  the wind maps show how the first coastal drifts off and the 2nd one forms near the tidewater as the 500 low moves east.  i think some of the nudge south of that closed low is allowing that 2nd coastal to slow down.  gfs was a better look overall for dc/bmore.

Final call (less conservative after seeing all that) ... just the snowfalls now, LE from earlier seem okay, just more of it will be snow ... added a few locations

DCA 8.0"

IAD 11.5"

BWI 12.0"

FDK 15.5"

MoCo 16.5"

Winchester VA 18.0"

SBY 4.5" (to 12" Delaware)

PHL 14.0"

Expect the faster transition to verify near and north/west of I-95 but strong resistance will be encountered southeast of I-95, prolonged sleet event in s MD ... some details on that thinking ... sub-10 dews in s PA indicate that when first low moves offshore around 17z-18z a shallow tongue of colder air will push rapidly south until reaching maybe 10-20 miles beyond I-95, then it shudders to a halt as second low begins to dominate the circulation, waiting in place until second low begins to deepen overnight, then begins a slow forward motion towards se VA again. So with that colder air pushing rapidly south at first, cuts off the sleet quickly until past I-95, then unable to do so until midnight or later. 

1 minute ago, Roger Smith said:

Final call (less conservative after seeing all that) ... just the snowfalls now, LE from earlier seem okay, just more of it will be snow ... added a few locations

DCA 8.0"

IAD 11.5"

BWI 12.0"

FDK 15.5"

MoCo 16.5"

Winchester VA 18.0"

PHL 14.0"

Expect the faster transition to verify near and north/west of I-95 but strong resistance will be encountered southeast of I-95, prolonged sleet event in s MD

Gotta love Roger Smith! I might retire from the board if I get 18 inches :)

7 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

DCA 8.0"

IAD 11.5"

BWI 12.0"

FDK 15.5"

MoCo 16.5"

Winchester VA 18.0"

PHL 14.0"

Expect the faster transition to verify near and north/west of I-95 but strong resistance will be encountered southeast of I-95, prolonged sleet event in s MD ... some details on that thinking ... sub-10 dews in s PA indicate that when first low moves offshore around 17z-18z a shallow tongue of colder air will push rapidly south until reaching maybe 10-20 miles beyond I-95, then it shudders to a halt as second low begins to dominate the circulation, waiting in place until second low begins to deepen overnight, then begins a slow forward motion towards se VA again. So with that colder air pushing rapidly south at first, cuts off the sleet quickly until past I-95, then unable to do so until midnight or later. 

12" BWI?? Ya really think that's a possibility? Wow...would LOVE for that to verify!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived