joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Short Range Model Analysis

Bob Chill

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a comparison of the noon radar from marylandwx.com with the p-type forecasts I put together last night.

Z7LHEYZ.jpg

cbNKN0G.gif

Overall pretty good, but if the radar analysis is right it looks like the 3k NAM overdid the ice and rain.

I've been known to hit high numbers before but if the pros think 12" instead of 18" for Winchester then I guess that's more likely to verify. 

In that recent New England snowstorm I had 21" for ORH and BGR and came within 1" on both, surrendered a win there by going way too low on ALB and BGM so except for this subforum I seem to have the opposite tendency this winter, keep going too low in some places and seldom too high. Just a form chart that may mean nothing for this storm. 

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

^Swiss verifying best so far it seems.

It looks good compared to the radar analysis, but the radar analysis is likely off.  I posted it in the obs thread and it sounds like it shows too much snow west of DC, and too much rain around Columbia.  I'm also not sure how weather.us calculates p-types for the different models.  So the comparison should be taken with a grain of salt.

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

HERPADERP obliterates central MD tomorrow morning.  It also says we're changing to all snow in the next couple of hours, which I'm not sure I buy, but I certainly like the look for tomorrow.

Central MD Central MD, blah blah blah.   Ron Paul wouldn't leave me hanging

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Central MD Central MD, blah blah blah.   Ron Paul wouldn't leave me hanging

To be fair, looks great for us in the immediate DC area as well. Has us as rain for longer than other guidance, but crushes us once we switch over.

10:1 has us get with an additional ~9" of accumulating counting precip ONLY after we make the switch to snow

3 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Is HRDPS even a good model? I like what it shows.. just have no idea about reliability... I am suspecting it is JV model.

It's the high-res RGEM.  It's intended to be the RGEM replacement and just went operational this year.  From what I've seen, it's sometimes better than the RGEM and sometimes worse.  It's hard to say how it does on average because it's relatively new, but from what the verifcation scores I've seen it should have less of a cold bias and less of a wet bias than the RGEM (on average).

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived