Total Members
    Most Online
    Buckfever2
    Newest Member
    Buckfever2
nj2va

March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

1 hour ago, das said:

Just hit 3" here in Clarksburg at 2pm.  Since the start of the snow, it's been all light snow except for two 10+ minutes of moderate snow.  2m temp is up to 35F with lots of drip-drip-dripping going on.  10M temp holding steady at 29F.  March sun angle and low precip rates FTL...

Das my snowboard measurement was over 4.5" (second wave)!  Did you eyeball it by any chance. I also noticed Germantown report was not consistent with our area. 

This outer band appears to be drying up some. Would love to steal another inch out of this and get above 10. Seeing other reports from the Winchester area of 9 inches as well. It appears the Martinsburg area was the big winner with this one. Oh so close. But yet so far :)

1 minute ago, Ji said:

this event had nothing to do with March..the storm never came together and we didnt get heavy rates. We could of scored easily...even in late March

True, it was still nice for what it was; but the rates weren't there. No death bands, etc. It was just kind of a moderate snowfall.

People are going to bash me saying I am complaining and I am not. It's just an honest assessment. Cool little fluke late March snowstorm that the didn't live up to the model potential.

• Like 1

I’ve had 7” inches in Lothian, MD in southern AA County. Was under yellows most of the day and now just light to moderate snow. 32/30dp

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Ended up with around 5, with almost all of it falling over a fun three hour period. Overall, this storm gets a D+. It was supposed to snow well into the evening and it basically snowed until noon or so and then turned to light snow showers and the dripping began. The period this morning was great and saved the entire storm from being a total fail. This storm seemed to befuddle everyone, so I guess you just try to learn something from it and hope it helps in the future. Frustrating but fitting way to close out this winter.

You’re out of your damn mind if you think a 5” storm in late March with a 3 hour period of +SN should get a D+, unless you hate cold and snow and want nothing to do with it.

It was an excellent event for this time of the year, even if the widespread 10”+ amounts didn’t materialize, which BTW is a crazy thing to expect especially in late March.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Looks like about 4”...light snow.  A nice late March storm but a little disappointing we didn’t get the crazy dynamics.  

Exactly. Not a huge deal, but it was certainly a disappointment. A few hours of heavy snow saved the day. It was really impressive that it snowed all day, though it didn’t do much to help with totals. Yet we have some people saying we should shut up and be happy that we got warning-level snow.

Just now, Fozz said:

You’re out of your damn mind if you think a 5” storm in late March with a 3 hour period of +SN should get a D+, unless you hate cold and snow and want nothing to do with it.

It was an excellent event for this time of the year, even if the widespread 10”+ amounts didn’t materialize, which BTW is a crazy thing to expect especially in late March.

I agree. I'd rate this storm a B. Acceptable at any time of the year, pretty great at this time of year. Got to enjoy the snow, sled with my brother, and the snow is quite the scene. Too bad my alarm for 7 am didn't go off.. Missed some of the best rates! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ji said:

dude the storm was lame. My blog people are way too nice

Let's be honest - the first mistake was associating your name with it.

(jk - chill)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kingstonian said:

I'm over on the Wegman's side of Kingstowne and measured 3.6" at 1pm, probably on the low side of what came down given both melting and compaction.  

You at least got out to measure, which I'm sure is more accurate than me eyeballing the back patio from behind a closed door several feet away! Melting in our backyard was also complicated by "beastly compaction," as depicted below. Regardless of the higher-end solutions some models showed yesterday, I'm pleased with where we ended up...especially for late March. Enjoy, all.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1

I don't get the angst some on this board has when some are disappointed that totals or the timing of storm duration is overdone by the models Why take it personally when its the models that are being blamed.

Sorry for those that did not cash in. On Chestnut Ridge in Northern Baltimore County we did pretty well. Below pic taken about 1 hour before snow tapered off. I'll call it 8.5. It includes wave 1 but I count it all.5f4508d10fe566fdd2002b14f8783133.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I agree. I'd rate this storm a B. Acceptable at any time of the year, pretty great at this time of year. Got to enjoy the snow, sled with my brother, and the snow is quite the scene. Too bad my alarm for 7 am didn't go off.. Missed some of the best rates! 

Yep, I agree. I’d actually give it a B+ or A- because that midday death band was amazing and I ended up with 8”, which would be impressive even in January or February, but is truly remarkable in late March. The only downsides are that it slightly underperformed compared to the most aggressive LWX forecasts, and yesterday I missed out on the good stuff by being just a few miles too far south, but it’s not a big deal.... honestly I can’t complain. It was a great event and a truly wintry day, better than anything since the big blizzard a few years ago.

I almost made it to climo so I can’t even call this a bad season, at least for my yard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AdamHLG said:

Sorry for those that did not cash in. On Chestnut Ridge in Northern Baltimore County we did pretty well. Below pic taken about 1 hour before snow tapered off. I'll call it 8.5. It includes wave 1 but I count it all.5f4508d10fe566fdd2002b14f8783133.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think I’ll give it one last measurement if this is it, but I should end up very close to your total.

4 inches with compaction in Takoma Park, probably 4-5 fell in total.   Looks like the good rates for the day may be done and this will be about it.   Nice event.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Yep, I agree. I’d actually give it a B+ or A-because that midday death band was amazing and I ended up with 8”, which would be impressive even in January or February, but is truly remarkable in late March. The only downsides are that it slightly underperformed compared to the most aggressive LWX forecasts, and yesterday I missed out on the good stuff by being just a few miles too far south, but it’s not a big deal.... honestly I can’t complain. It was a great event and a truly wintry day, better than anything since the big blizzard a few years ago.

I almost made it to climo so I can’t even call this a bad season, at least for my yard.

Glad you got a good event out of this. My benchmark was 3.6" anyways (to top 10" on the year). I only ever wanted more due to models getting bullish, but in the end the storm met it's quota, at least for me. Last 4" event since the Blizzard

2 hours ago, das said:

Just hit 3" here in Clarksburg at 2pm.  Since the start of the snow, it's been all light snow except for two 10+ minutes of moderate snow.  2m temp is up to 35F with lots of drip-drip-dripping going on.  10M temp holding steady at 29F.  March sun angle and low precip rates FTL...

Same here in Germantown.  A couple of days ago I doubted this because of late March and temps, but I got suckered in yesterday.  Turns out temps were fine but precip rates were poor.  Never saw heavy, and only saw moderate for a few minutes.  Forecast was 8-12 and had nearly 100% chance of seeing 6.  Got half that LOL.  Seeing the huge jackpot 30-45 minutes north, and warning criteria snow to my east is a perfect ending to this abomination of a winter.

I've seen less snowfall in other winters, but this will go down as my most hated.