Newest Member
    joxey
March 7 Disc/Observations

nj2va

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Very happy to see that despite a persistent SE wind the dews haven't risen.  Still largely in the 20s event along I-95.  This is a good sign.

This is important. Looks like a little burst coming in the next hour could help temps drop quickly

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Love seeing the trends we are having. Sort of expected to see an expansion of the of the CBB southwestward on the models after looking over last nights and this mornings runs. But that said I am going to keep my expectations in check. Not saying it will happen here but far too often I have see the models ramp/juice up the western extent of the precip field 12-24 hours before showtime only to pull that back at the last minute. And unfortunately some of the better snowfall maps (the more realistic ones) now being spit out are all dependent on rates to get these totals. Cut those rates down and we will see a more substantial reduction on these snowfall maps then one would think as the ratios would likewise decrease.

For example lets take mappyland (not going to separate WAA from the CCB). Right now @mappy on the Euro shes is clocking in with 1.2 in total precip. with Kuchera snowfall roughly at 10 inch range. So her ratio is probably at roughly 8 to 1. But reduce the total precip by 1/4 with a corresponding drop in ratios (lets say 7-1). So now we are looking at .9 inches of precip at 7-1 ratios which comes out to 6.3 inches. Now reduce total precip by half with a corresponding snow ration of 6-1. So .6 inches at 6-1 would be 3.6 inches. See where I am going here?

So Mappy went from 1.2 inches = 10 inches of snow

.9 inches = 6.3 inches of snow

.6 inches = 3.6 inches of snow

So just cutting precip totals in half costs Mappy almost 2/3 of her snowfall. God forbid they were cut by 3/4's because then she would be looking at 1.5 inches of snow. 

So I guess what I am saying is that I am going to try to keep my excitement and expectations down for the time being because this could very easily bust in a bad way from what some of the models are currently showing.

none of this makes me feel good. ;) 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I see this as a very good sign for sure. Early precipitation is always good, and it is snow even when super light and in the 40s...

Absolutely. As Bob and EJ said, it shows the warm layer is very shallow. Maximizing our WAA snow would be ideal. Reminds me a bit of St Patrick’s Day storm from a few years ago where we thought precip would be rain for the first few hours and instead it started as snow with temps in the mid 40s. Hopefully it stays snow when the heavier stuff arrives in 4-6 hours.

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

But it could go even better. 1.5 total precip at 10-1 is 15 inches of snow. Heck move that 1.8 inch contour line 35 miles east at 11-1 ratios and you are looking at 20 inches. 

Did I make you better? :D

I was literally about to post this to provide the rosier side of possibilities.  Nice work!

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Jesus...euro Kuchera is still near 12” for mappy and Harford. 3-4” for MBY.

no way i am seeing 12" out of this. 

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

But it could go even better. 1.5 total precip at 10-1 is 15 inches of snow. Heck move that 1.8 inch contour line 35 miles east at 11-1 ratios and you are looking at 20 inches. 

Did I make you better? :D

sure, but that's not happening either. but i appreciate you taking the time to break down the issues and using me as your example :) 

9 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I’m going where the CCB is. I say Lancaster Co might be a solid spot for this one. I’ll be around the area for sure.

i plan on staying home tomorrow. i hope the ccb location is the real deal man

Since this is an observation thread, I'd like to note that I observe the big green blob of precipitation over South Carolina and Georgia moving in a decidedly ENE direction.  Also, in Annapolis it is cloudy and 44 degrees with light winds.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived