• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again pay attention to the tracks of the upper air lows and where they close off. I’m not concerned with whether the run shows me getting 12” or 18”. The mid level lows track in a very favorable way for the NYC area, and the surface low heads ENE from South Jersey. That’s what matters. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Again pay attention to the tracks of the upper air lows and where they close off. I’m not concerned with whether the run shows me getting 12” or 18”. The mid level lows track in a very favorable way for the NYC area, and the surface low heads ENE from South Jersey. That’s what matters. 

I'm worried about a funky layer with onshore flow. Rates like this should overcome it if it exists.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Yup and lower heights helped tick it east a bit 

11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Btw...check out historical 12 in. snow events in NYC and you will realize that in March, the odds are against 6+ in events.

Absolutely and I still don't expect anything historic. A foot of snow in NYC and the Newark area in March is uncommon. I should think 4-8 would be a major score, ten even better. More than that would actually be a major, major deal. I fully expect that the storm will have mixing issues, probably a lot of sleet, no matter what is being depicted right now, I think that's what will happen when tomorrow's models show up. Northern areas will not taint as much. But I would love to see a big storm in March of a foot or more, and this one up to now seems like it has the potential. But so did last March. 

NAM clearly over-doing it. Most important thing to take away is that there shouldn't be any huge shifts in the corridor of major snow. I have a high suspicion that many on this board are going to get some PL with this setup. I'd cut most totals on the NAM in half due to taint and PL. Many of you have very short memories...it was only a year ago that we were all expecting 12+ only to be awoken by pouring PL.

15 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

How much do you think will end up being sleet as currently depicted? My understanding is these models can't distinguish frozen precip that well.

Just now, purduewx80 said:

thicknesses were much much warmer with the march system last year and were the first clue that it wouldn't be snow. warming aloft eventually showed up. i'm not really seeing anything close to sleet so far in any fcst soundings.

That's good to hear, but can they still show up in the upcoming models? Would really love to see a decent March storm for a change.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

NAM clearly over-doing it. Most important thing to take away is that there shouldn't be any huge shifts in the corridor of major snow. I have a high suspicion that many on this board are going to get some PL with this setup. I'd cut most totals on the NAM in half due to taint and PL. Many of you have very short memories...it was only a year ago that we were all expecting 12+ only to be awoken by pouring PL.

Where are you concerned about a significant amount of sleet? This doesn't strike me as a sleet kinda storm... doesn't really strike me as any kind of ice kinda storm. The only warm layer is at the surface, save for initially on the 3K NAM where there's. Bit of a sneaky warm layer.

seems to me it rain, snow or some mix thereof

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived