• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

1 minute ago, weatherbear5 said:

Where are you concerned about a significant amount of sleet? This doesn't strike me as a sleet kinda storm... doesn't really strike me as any kind of ice kinda storm. The only warm layer is at the surface, save for initially on the 3K NAM where there's. Bit of a sneaky warm layer.

seems to me it rain, snow or some mix thereof

Purdue mentioned thicknesses, that’s a good place to start. High thicknesses over 540 mean there’s often a warm layer somewhere that can cause sleet. Otherwise you have to look at soundings. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Icon coming in closer to the coast. Maps are tough to make out but to my eyes the coast looks taint. Waiting for snow map.

Looms like NAM us no longer the western outlier.

Can anyone vouch for the performance of the ICON? I have noticed that it tends to be amped.

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Just because its mixed precip. does not mean it can't accumulate. Last March my town sleeted hard with the snow and still got 9.5 inches.

This is true, but areas at sea level tainted for most of the storm. I think we had 5 inches or less. A mess with all that sleet and very dangerous ( I got stuck ) but a sleet storm is a lot less to plow...

15 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Purdue mentioned thicknesses, that’s a good place to start. High thicknesses over 540 mean there’s often a warm layer somewhere that can cause sleet. Otherwise you have to look at soundings. 

Thicknesses are pretty low, especially city westward. I do see the warm layer around 850mb so It's not inconceivable for some sleet I guess particularly in and around the south shore and eastern LI, but otherwise unless models are drastically underdoing the WAA (which, granted they do have a tendency to do) it seems to me that most areas stay below freezing in the mid levels during the height of the storm... I could certainly be wrong however, wouldn't be the first time

This seems a good time to remind everyone that it sleeted in NYC during, among other storms, 1996 and PDII.  For Chrissake if you lose .2 of QPF to sleet and you get 1.3” of QPF as snow, you’re still freakin buried.

I noticed both nam 3k and rgem kinda stall the low just south of Islip could that be a trend if that’s the case we could get 2 feet here and it crushes us nyc folks. This is a coastal storm so I expect this to jackpot in and around nyc and as far as yanks and as north as animal. islip May taint for a bit but because of dynamics and cold enough air I think nyc stays all snow and becomes crippling blizzard

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived